Ever kicked a guy outta the band and hear he's telling people he wrote your song?

brokenfixed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just saying "i liked it better when i wrote it" shouldn't be taken too mean much. you kicked him out. he's probably a bit bummed or pissed, which is normal. he just made a snide comment, which in fact also acknowledges that you changed the significant parts he wrote. take the high road. it's really not a big deal.

• Members

just saying "i liked it better when i wrote it" shouldn't be taken too mean much. you kicked him out. he's probably a bit bummed or pissed, which is normal. he just made a snide comment, which in fact also acknowledges that you changed the significant parts he wrote. take the high road. it's really not a big deal.

• Members

I'm kind of like Hivedestruction, I had a very similar thing happen to me. Hard feelings caused me to quit a band that I had put years into. I wrote several songs that we played live all the time. Our other guitarist comes to my house one day and says, "Listen to this." The band had went and recorded two of my songs. One kept the entire song the same the other they kept the music and changed a few words. They hired a studio guitarist to play my part. It didn't sit we'll with me and things blew up. My brother and me both quit the band. He is still tight with some if the guys and me not so much. It sucks but so do they. They have to hire a guitarist every time they play. That's just the way it goes. I've enjoyed playing in my studio since and don't think I'll ever play in an all out band again. Life goes on.

• Members

Similar thing happened to me, again on the opposite end...

Singer/guitarist wrote a handful of songs in the studio.

Producer asked me to come in and add my "flavour to them"... after 48 hours of adding original parts, new sections, riffs and all that I ended up getting an email saying that I would have to consent to receiving a 1% songwriting credit... which didn't sit well with me.

Not that I wanted more, I was just offended, like hey I don't want/need/require any song writing % I was just doing my job.. but if you feel I should get a "%" is 1% really what was added to it? Our band split had always been 10% each then leftover to the main writer.. (contract wise n all)

I just thought we should talk about it rather than getting axle rose type communications about things that don't matter..

• Members

never been kicked out of a band.

and every time I quit it was cause I was done with the project. so why attach myself to something i'm leaving.

and to the OP, let the douchebag say what ever he wants. clearly if he can't write a song his reputation will come around. 1 song does make not a man.

• Members

Similar thing happened to me, again on the opposite end...

Singer/guitarist wrote a handful of songs in the studio.

Producer asked me to come in and add my "flavour to them"... after 48 hours of adding original parts, new sections, riffs and all that I ended up getting an email saying that I would have to consent to receiving a 1% songwriting credit... which didn't sit well with me.

Not that I wanted more, I was just offended, like hey I don't want/need/require any song writing % I was just doing my job.. but if you feel I should get a "%" is 1% really what was added to it? Our band split had always been 10% each then leftover to the main writer.. (contract wise n all)

I just thought we should talk about it rather than getting axle rose type communications about things that don't matter..

did you post about this before?...I thought I remember reading a similar story on here.

• Members

This is why I'm not a fan of collaboration, at least not on original songs. I have one song that I wrote with a buddy. He left the band, and I was really in a quandary. He did, after all, write the main riff and ergo the chord sequence in the verse. I wrote all the lyrics, the form, the chorus riff/chord sequence, and turned a cool jam riff into a song... but his bit is still there.

I'll probably never record it though, because I don't remember his last name (this was ten years ago, and we only played together for about two months) and thus can't give him credit. And I seriously doubt it would ever matter, but if I ever do achieve some success as a songwriter, that bit will come back to bite me, I'm certain.

But MAN, it's a cool song. One of my favorites.

• Members

Ever write a song and have someone ask if they can 'have' it, say no, and years later hear it as the B-side of a single they released? True and stranger: he apologized, and we're really good friends, still.

I'm with the person who said let it go. It's only worth hard feelings if there's money or women involved.

• Members

In a former band we had agreed from the start to share all writing credit. I wrote at least 90% of the stuff and it didnt really bother me at first. Then after the cd comes out another band member's girlfriend gets all hot for one of the tunes . Him , his GF and I are riding around listening in a car and when it comes on she goes ape{censored}. So after the song is over he looks at me and says "Remember when I wrote that and how cool it was putting it down in the studio?" ..I had written the entire thing and done all the parts in the studio! I just smiled and let him impress her with his BS. It led to the end of the band and I wont ever share cred like that again.

• Members

Yup. Happened to me in college. We didn't even kick the guy out.. He just left on his own. He thought I was too controlling... Yet I wrote all the original songs we had, and no one else had a problem with it. Was i the vocal leader of the band? absolutely. But i never dictated anything. Most of the time, everyone even wrote heir own parts. I think he just got his feelings hurt when we told him an original that he wrote sucked (didn't use those words of course)... He was a good lead player, much better than me at the time, but we survived just fine without him and had a lot more fun too. ;)

Archived