Ever kicked a guy outta the band and hear he's telling people he wrote your song?

brokenfixed

• Members

Ever happen to you?

We had a lead guitarist play with us for a bit. Guy was good, knew his {censored}, knew some theory, was quite a bit better than me. So we jammed for a couple months, and he had this little riff that he showed me the chord for.

I came back with a whole new progression for the verse and chorus. Came up with an intro and he even "let me" write a lead part at the end. We started playing it as a band and almost got it down pretty solid, but he started slacking off and seemed like he was having a tough time dealing with me "the lesser guitar talent" always coming up with new {censored}.

But when it came time to bring his own ideas he had nothing. We argued a lot and finally parted ways when I told him I think we'd get a lot more done without him.

(all of these arguments have been recorded its pretty funny listening to them now)

So a few months go by, we record the song, purposely took his lead riff out since I was busy playing the rhythm anyway. My drummer shows him the new recordings cause theyre still friends, and the dudes like "I liked that song back when I wrote it"....haha

Man? such a bitter {censored}er.

Anyone else?

lol If either of you are over the age of 18 you should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup. Happened to me in college. We didn't even kick the guy out.. He just left on his own. He thought I was too controlling... Yet I wrote all the original songs we had, and no one else had a problem with it. Was i the vocal leader of the band? absolutely. But i never dictated anything. Most of the time, everyone even wrote heir own parts. I think he just got his feelings hurt when we told him an original that he wrote sucked (didn't use those words of course)... He was a good lead player, much better than me at the time, but we survived just fine without him and had a lot more fun too.
;)

This is pretty much my exact senario

• Members

Legally speaking, songwriting credit goes usually goes with lyrics and melody. Not chords, not riffs, not sweet basslines, not drum parts. Lyrics and melody. Think about this next time you help 'write' a song as a group.

FWIW, I split songwriting credit 50/50 in my two piece. Given that the other half is a drummer, legally speaking, he doesn't have much to contribute as far as songwriting. I write the lyrics, melody, guitar parts, etc., but it keeps the peace and promotes band bro-manship. Besides, the chances of making money as a songwriter are practically nil.

• Members

Legally (here in the uk anyways) anyone can play what they like as long as you don't pass it off as your own work and report it to the PRS. For that reason I'd never try to stop old band mates playing a song we worked on together, even if it was mostly my work. I'd just be happy people were listening to it.

I've always just agreed with band mates that we split songwriting equally, even though in every case I've been the main songwriter. Just makes things easier!

• Members

Similar thing happened to me, again on the opposite end...

Singer/guitarist wrote a handful of songs in the studio.

Producer asked me to come in and add my "flavour to them"... after 48 hours of adding original parts, new sections, riffs and all that I ended up getting an email saying that I would have to consent to receiving a 1% songwriting credit... which didn't sit well with me.

Not that I wanted more, I was just offended, like hey I don't want/need/require any song writing % I was just doing my job.. but if you feel I should get a "%" is 1% really what was added to it? Our band split had always been 10% each then leftover to the main writer.. (contract wise n all)

I just thought we should talk about it rather than getting axle rose type communications about things that don't matter..

That's a great story! Yep, I've been in situations like that where a simple conversation would have fixed whatever was being assumed behind the scenes. Heck, I've been guilty of it myself.

• Members

Legally speaking, songwriting credit goes usually goes with
lyrics and melody
. Not chords, not riffs, not sweet basslines, not drum parts. Lyrics and melody. Think about this next time you help 'write' a song as a group.

you know why that is?

because most chord progressions have already been written. (the pleasant ones anyhow!)

melody on the other hand is a lot more dynamic in options.

sorry dude, the Em C Em A part the other guy 'wrote' has been done a million times.

• Members

you know why that is?

because most chord progressions have already been written. (the pleasant ones anyhow!)

sorry dude, the Em C Em A part the other guy 'wrote' has been done a million times.

Exactly, this is whats so frustrating. The dude knows more than me about music theory, but he's just too bitter to let it die, or be honest with himself.

This is a guy who tried to tell me we should only use lyric ideas that were written during practice and nothing written outside of that should be considered...haha. Thats pretty much what broke the camels back. I realized it was more about his ego than whats good for the band.

• Members

you know why that is?

Exactly, this is whats so frustrating. The dude knows more than me about music theory, but he's just too bitter to let it die, or be honest with himself.

This is a guy who tried to tell me we should only use lyric ideas that were written during practice and nothing written outside of that should be considered...haha. Thats pretty much what broke the camels back. I realized it was more about his ego than whats good for the band.

Archived