reading "i'm not a strat guy" gave me an idea.....

hahavishnu

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFFTA

View Post

I have never owned piece of {censored} guitar. Why would you do that? Have owned a strat, hated the look, but never thought it was crap based on where knobs were placed etc. its a tool, you adapt. Of course things can be sub par or poorly designed but i never have thought "gee i better ditch this or seek advice online" to adapt my playing. Its like some folk hate the jazzmaster bridge but i have never had an issue. Note how i say "i"... Its my experience, my opinion. I am not getting angry because others have a different opinion. Thats life my friend

I don't really see a good reason to adapt to a tool, to be honest, unless it's as good as it can get. If there's room for improvement, you're the one with the agency who demands the tool conform to your needs, otherwise it is not the right tool for the job. There's no reason for me to just let any tool let alone a guitar (which is supposed to be an extensions of ME, not the other way around) dictate what i can and can't do. I wanted my strat to be stereo, for example, so I made it stereo. Now it's able to do the job i required of it and I am not left there saying gee I guess I'll just have to play mono cause this guitar isn't stereo.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

I don't really see a good reason to adapt to a tool, to be honest, unless it's as good as it can get. If there's room for improvement, you're the one with the agency who demands the tool conform to your needs, otherwise it is not the right tool for the job. There's no reason for me to just let any tool let alone a guitar (which is supposed to be an extensions of ME, not the other way around) dictate what i can and can't do. I wanted my strat to be stereo, for example, so I made it stereo. Now it's able to do the job i required of it and I am not left there saying gee I guess I'll just have to play mono cause this guitar isn't stereo.

Yep and that is totally cool for you, but not for me. Neither of us are wrong, or right except for our own needs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Yep and that is totally cool for you, but not for me. Neither of us are wrong, or right except for our own needs.

• Members

Strat: Whammy system doesn't get along with me. Then again, I prefer either no whammy system or a Bigsby.

That's about it.

Tele: Ergonomics. I dislike the flat-top slab body, especially on the upper side of the guitar (where the strumming arm rests/hits). It's uncomfortable. I also dislike the ashcan bridge thingy.

LP: Too many knobs. I personally use the tone knobs so infrequently that I forget which ones do what. frown.gif

Also, that selector switch was put where it is by the devil. But it's not as bad as the Mustang's switches... those are stupid.

Everything else about them is pretty damn near perfect, for different reasons. They fit (sonically) into different places, and it's easy to fall into having one of each because of that. They just have some (usually ergonomic) issues that I would change to suit my taste.

• Members

Strat: Whammy system doesn't get along with me. Then again, I prefer either no whammy system or a Bigsby.

That's about it.

Tele: Ergonomics. I dislike the flat-top slab body, especially on the upper side of the guitar (where the strumming arm rests/hits). It's uncomfortable. I also dislike the ashcan bridge thingy.

LP: Too many knobs. I personally use the tone knobs so infrequently that I forget which ones do what. frown.gif

Also, that selector switch was put where it is by the devil. But it's not as bad as the Mustang's switches... those are stupid.

Everything else about them is pretty damn near perfect, for different reasons. They fit (sonically) into different places, and it's easy to fall into having one of each because of that. They just have some (usually ergonomic) issues that I would change to suit my taste.

• Members

When I was a kid I had a Les Paul and when I played a Strat or something different I would hit the knobs, selector switch, etc.... As my playing improved this problem went away. Now I can play a Les Paul for a little while then a Strat, Tele, Rickenbacker, Gretcsh, etc... without any issues.

I don't really find any guitar I own to be hard to play which is cool because I like having a lot of guitars with a lot of different sounds.

• Members

When I was a kid I had a Les Paul and when I played a Strat or something different I would hit the knobs, selector switch, etc.... As my playing improved this problem went away. Now I can play a Les Paul for a little while then a Strat, Tele, Rickenbacker, Gretcsh, etc... without any issues.

I don't really find any guitar I own to be hard to play which is cool because I like having a lot of guitars with a lot of different sounds.

• Members

Which guitar has a master volume, legendary neck and bridge pickups, individual tone controls, upper bout pickup selector, easily cops all the tones of Fenders, Gibsons, and more, AND will get you laid no matter what your sexual persuasion?

Please what magical unicorn has all of these attributes?

Gretsch.

• Members

Which guitar has a master volume, legendary neck and bridge pickups, individual tone controls, upper bout pickup selector, easily cops all the tones of Fenders, Gibsons, and more, AND will get you laid no matter what your sexual persuasion?

Gretsch.

• Members

Strat: sounds good when others play them, but not me. a lot of springs and parts I don't understand.

LP: humbuckers are not my thing. also too small of a body.

Tele: foolproof. Warm or cutting. the best guitar EXCEPT for the jack cup issue. Replace with an LP-style jackplate. easy day.

Jaguars -- 2nd best. mustang bridge and then easy day. Smooth trem, weird sounds (doesn't do everything. no bends or sustaining solos).

• Members

Strat: sounds good when others play them, but not me. a lot of springs and parts I don't understand.

LP: humbuckers are not my thing. also too small of a body.

Tele: foolproof. Warm or cutting. the best guitar EXCEPT for the jack cup issue. Replace with an LP-style jackplate. easy day.

Jaguars -- 2nd best. mustang bridge and then easy day. Smooth trem, weird sounds (doesn't do everything. no bends or sustaining solos).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

Gretsch.

I have a couple old Gretsch guitars. None sound like a LP os Strat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

Gretsch.

I have a couple old Gretsch guitars. None sound like a LP os Strat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd

View Post

I have never hit the pickup selector on my Les Paul, ever. I don't understand.

this.

may happen once every moon, but definitely not an issue for me. i mean, it's so freakin' far away from the pickups/knobs. unless you play on the neck, i don't see the issue.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd

View Post

I have never hit the pickup selector on my Les Paul, ever. I don't understand.

this.

may happen once every moon, but definitely not an issue for me. i mean, it's so freakin' far away from the pickups/knobs. unless you play on the neck, i don't see the issue.

Archived