Why so many EL-84 (<20w) combos compared to 6v6 combos?

Aristotle

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by amnesiac

View Post

I think a lot of people these days are looking for low wattage tube amps but tend to also want to get some sweet breakup at lower volumes. Maybe this is one reason to prefer EL84s over the 6V6s.

Tweed Champ is a single 6V6, AC-4 is a single EL-84 - I think they're pretty comparable volume-wise.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

Fender has been the main culprit in flooding the market with el84 small amps, they made a {censored} load of blues jr.'s and pro jr.'s, I think this is what aristotle is referring to. Throw in the class 5, night train, tube screamer amps, and it seems like a {censored} load of el84 small amps.

Yup - there's a ton of Pro Juniors and Blues Jrs out there.

Don't forget all the Vox stuff, which of course is nothing new for them. AC4, AC15, AC30, etc. Also Seymour Duncan (84-40, 84-50), Peavey (Classic 30, Classic 50, Delta Blues, Bravo 112), Crate (the entire V series), I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Mesa has made a bunch of them too - the Studio 22, Lonestar, Transatlantic, Subway Rocket, etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper

View Post

Folks seem to forget that about 10 years ago there were only a few new production 6V6 tubes available to choose from.

This. All there was back in the early 90's were black glass Russian "firecracker" tubes that had a screen dissapation of a nanowatt or something. They'd smoke if you just looked at them funny in a Fender circuit. I remember the Crate "Bloo Vooodoo" being the first "modern" amp to use 6V6 tubes. Even Fender stuck a EL84 in the early versions of the VibroKing because there weren't any good modern manufacture 6V6 tubes. Just what the world needed an easy to distort reverb section.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

This. All there was back in the early 90's were black glass Russian "firecracker" tubes that had a screen dissapation of a nanowatt or something. They'd smoke if you just looked at them funny in a Fender circuit. I remember the Crate "Bloo Vooodoo" being the first "modern" amp to use 6V6 tubes.

Yup. In Champs and vibro-Champs they'd take the cathode caps with 'em.

• Members

View Post

Folks seem to forget that about 10 years ago there were only a few new production 6V6 tubes available to choose from.

this-also explains the american big bottle tubes. old glass still is tops to me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Also, why was 6v6 production so small relative to other tube types?

6V6 production back in the day was bigger than any other power tube in current use*. Don't let anybody fool you, there are zillions of them out there. Virtually every car radio in America had one, as did most console hi-fis.

*Other audio power amp tubes like the 50C5 and 50L6 were probably made in larger quantities for series-string five-tube radios, but they're not useful for very many safe guitar amplifiers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

6V6 production back in the day was bigger than any other power tube in current use*. Don't let anybody fool you, there are zillions of them out there. Virtually every car radio in America had one, as did most console hi-fis.

*Other audio power amp tubes like the 50C5 and 50L6 were probably made in larger quantities for series-string five-tube radios, but they're not useful for very many safe guitar amplifiers.

some of my fav 6v6s r old ford or gm tubes.

• Members

View Post

If I decide to visit, I am bringing it with me. It WILL be this year's strain of NAMM-thrax! tongue.gif

Good sir, take care. I am on the tail-end of a 18-day respiratory bug.

I can ususlaly shake the in under 3 days, but this one got into the upper bronchii and even gave me a 7 day laryngitis.

...imagine... me, not being able to speak.... patients were ok with the "I got a mask, don't worry" thing, and truthbetold, no a one has

reported being sick yet.

Anyway, get better.

I tried all the fun remedies: scotch, nekkid tequilla shooters, peppermint schnapps and pr0n...nothing worked.

Just hunker down and try to burn it out with multiple blankets and clean living.

18 days...sucks

clean living will probably cut it down to about 5 or 6

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Davo17

View Post

some of my fav 6v6s r old ford or gm tubes.

Philco and Delco tubes are simply relabled from one of the big makers, usually RCA - they made more of them than anybody.

This is an RCA

$(KGrHqFHJDcE90pevi)lBPgOeZzgT!~~60_35.J

So is this one

1238529980-30386-0.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I don't remember many new amps at all in the '80s using tubes much less EL84s, but I get your point and agree to a limited extent.

I think a lot of it had to do with the scarcity - remember when EH and GT were pretty much it for tubes and even then replacement stuff was hard to find? If it wasn't a 6L6 or an EL34 you were screwed. I think EL84s took off in the early '90s because everybody was trading in their Mesa Boogies for Voxes and the wave has just remained to this day.

I remember tons of tube amps in the 80s. The Marshall 800s, the Fender Twin, Super 60, Dual Showman, Mesa Boogie, Metaltronix, Laney, etc.... I do agree on the 6L6 EL-34 thing, but you could also find old tubes (I used to have an old Ampeg) back then for a lot less money.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Absolutely - but more modern amps (from the past 15-20 years or so) in the low wattage range (4-20W) seem to be EL84 based, rather than 6V6 based.

When I started buying tube amps in the nineties, you had a choice between Russian equivalents that couldn't handle Fender plate voltages and relabeled 6L6s that didn't sound particularly like 6V6s. That was basically it for current production 6V6s. That probably discouraged most builders. There was no viable current production 6V6 when the Blues Jr. (for example) went into production.

Archived