The "FUZZ" Lounge

fuzzface71

• Members

Doyle gets my current fave Fuzz Tone. Atually , for a while now. He makes the fuzz so bright and fat. Sick tone. Custom Strat strung upside down, fuzz, wah and vibe into a vintage marshall plexi...perfection. He has a lot of tone in his hands, I suspect.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Ineedapseudonym

Duane did. Dickey says that he doesn't like very many 'outboard' FX (his word, not mine).

Which fuzz? I read somewhere that he used a Fuzz Face. Did he used a FF on the Fillmore Live albums? Which track/s?

• Members
Originally posted by ShatteredMindofBob

I dunno which songs but he had a fuzz face with a dying battery in it (he was obsessed with the dying battery, apparently)

The almost out of juice battery is also my favorite thing for my London Fuzz. When I have a brand new carbon, I always make sure to put it in my hand tuner then leave it on for awhile so the power will be used up a bit.

Bob! Got your Big Cheese yet? Are you gonna let me try it out next month when we go and play Ottawa? ;)

• Members
Originally posted by jasonfuzz

I don't like the sound of a dying carbon battery. sounds way too farty and not attack-y enough.

I don't think that you'll get the same effect on say, a Big Cheese which is almost a "do it all" fuzz. But for a Fuzz Face it's cool!

Anyway..back to the Fuzz Favorite tracks.. ;)

Again, you guys should check out The Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall" and "Tomorrow The Green Grass" sweet Fuzz Face tones :)

The first "Queen Of The Stone Age" album has some too!

• Members

Originally posted by chrisr0712

Rolling Stones -"Can you hear me knockin?" from Sticky Fingers.

FF makes Keef sound even more evil...

I believed that was Mick Taylor playing the solo (is that what you're taking about?) Are you sure it was a Fuzz Face?

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzface_71

Bob! Got your Big Cheese yet? Are you gonna let me try it out next month when we go and play Ottawa?
;)

It's on it's way....coming from Australia, so it may take a bit, should be here sometime next week and yea, I'll let you try it out next month (checked the calendar, I'm not working on the 2nd)

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzface_71

Can I use it for the night?
:D

of course you can, just let me know what time you're gonna be doing sound check at, 'cause I get the feeling you're gonna have to sound check with it to avoid hurting people, (Heh, and I WILL be there, the sound quality on those live recordings is pretty bad....go record a new album, NOW!!)

• Members

I am determined to fill a void in the market left by the absence of cheese.

I am willing to put my new NVN Tarpit Meltdown in a direct shootout with a Big Cheese. Who has a Big Cheese, who's game?
More info on the big cheese in a new thread.

sincerely, Joe Gagan
Nine Volt Nirvana Guitar Effects

• Members
Originally posted by shock54321

I am determined to fill a void in the market left by the absence of cheese.

I am willing to put my new NVN Tarpit Meltdown in a direct shootout with a Big Cheese. Who has a Big Cheese, who's game?

More info on the big cheese in a new thread.

sincerely, Joe Gagan

Nine Volt Nirvana Guitar Effects

Aaaugh don't tempt me....
:mad:
:(
:p
:D

E mail me with details and I'll see what I can do.

:cool:

Peach

• Members

Wow,This is one long mofo of a thread! I thought I'd just add - I'm really thinking of attempting to build my first effect soon....

The Easy Face! Well, becuse its easy of course,and I don't have a fuzz.I think painting the pedal and giving my own wierd name like " The Fuzzy Nut " or " Fuzzball " will be more fun than the soldering part.

• Members

The sweetest, warmest, fuzziest, scratchiest, tingliest, spookiest, most raucous, filthiest all around most vintage sounding fuzz box I have ever heard is right inside my own amp, it's called a "gain" channel. Real tubes running at real voltages cascading one into another, building real tone all along the way. From "Fuzz" to "Fury" and it all sounds real It's something I could never find in a stompbox, and now know I never will. The only "box" I have is my channel footswitch. Can I get a shot of whiskey here?

• Members

Originally posted by Ineedapseudonym

I'll bump, though it's still on page one. I like Russian Big Muffs! They're fuzzy, but not like some would think.

Had a Black Russian Big Muff which I find almost distortion-like. The green one sounds fuzzier and better to my ears. Just got an american made Big Muff which I think is not bad the TONE knobs reacts better, for better and more tone choices.

• Members

Hi FF71, I am making a new thread for the Tarpit Meltdown info.

It is the latest evolution of fuzz madness from the Nine Volt Nirvana research labs.

I wanted to create a Superversatile fuzz that alows the user extreme control over parameters that are normally off limits. effects designers usually have to dial out all the crazy squeals, gating, grunts, ripples, mush, etc., but I left them in.

The challenge in designing it was to make it easy to get back to 'normal' stuff after venturing into crazier tones. It is user friendly and won't embarass you onstage unless you want it to.

It has two modes:

One mode is pure Dinosaur Fuzz exactly like the popular fuzz.
Full , thick full frequency fuzz that cuts through the mix and works with wahs, and all major pickups and amps.

The 'hot' mode goes into super tweakable distortion and fuzz madness featuring :

+Diode clipping in a unique arrangemnt for max heaviness

+super wide tone range from low end mushy grunting to ear bleeding treble and everything in between.

+special gating and arpeggiating note trails in certain knob settings. Can get squealy with the volume knob on the guitar

+Incredible bite and sustain

+tunable for scooped tones , killer rock and metal sounds

+Hendrixey octavia like germanium madness

+Sounds good with chords, harmonics stack up in a pleasing way, notes don't 'crash' into one another

I wasn't intending it to be a Big Cheese type fuzz, only similar in that it is designed to be very versatile and have great tone.

Thanks for reading. I will also put this in its own post.
questions cheerfully answered at
joegagan@hotmail.com

pedal builders welcome, too, I have the schem online already!

Archived