The "FUZZ" Lounge

fuzzface71

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got the Sobbat FR-1 Fuzzbreaker in a trade. I like it. Good fuzzface type sound and a cool, kick ass kung-fu chick throwing a super kick on the actual pedal. I've been using a pe experience (the foxx tone machine thing) and I love it but its defineatly the harshest fuzz known to man. it'll be nice to swap the Sobbat in and out with the experience depending on what i feel like using. I'm pretty happy with those two. The Sobbat does have the bias knob on the outside btw-nice little feature.
I also have an old Maestro FZ 1S Fuzz Tone. (Wedge shaped, volume, balance, sustain knobs, a slider to select fuzz 1 or 2.) Its a great sounding pedal; real vintage sound, not a lot of gain. The problem is that the output is weak. Analog Mike told me these pedals are hard to fix but he didnt say why. Can anyone tell me why? I'd like to fix it cause its a good sounding fuzz. Its good for recording right now but it cant be gigged with.

• Members

I'll have to step into the lounge as well...

Some of you heard these clips the last time I posted them, but I'm posting again to get a chance to hear what you fuzzheads think. It's nothing fancy - more or less just another Tonebender clone - but I like it...

Clip 1: Strat (bridge pu) --> StinkFoot CloneBender --> '69 Fender Twin. Guitar vol on full in the beginning & end, turned down in the middle.

Clip 3: same gear, but with neck pu. Guitar vol on full the whole clip.

Clip 2 mysteriously disappeared - most likely due to crappy playing...:)

/Andreas

• Members
Originally posted by telepaul
I just got the Sobbat FR-1 Fuzzbreaker in a trade. I like it. Good fuzzface type sound and a cool, kick ass kung-fu chick throwing a super kick on the actual pedal. I've been using a pe experience (the foxx tone machine thing) and I love it but its defineatly the harshest fuzz known to man. it'll be nice to swap the Sobbat in and out with the experience depending on what i feel like using. I'm pretty happy with those two. The Sobbat does have the bias knob on the outside btw-nice little feature.
:D

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzface_71

Excellent! Congratulations! So did you get it yet?

Thanks, man. Just sent a cashiers check to the seller in MA, USA by FedEx. Should take 4-7 days. Followed by a wait of about 10 days or so. Then that hot thing will be in my cold and clammy hands (breathing quite heavily :D).

I'll work up a review, perhaps compare it directly with a French Toast that I've already got. Let's see how great the French Toast is in terms of value, in going for that Foxx Tone Machine vibe.

• Members
Originally posted by Rockwell

So I listened to this wedding band player show me how good he was for 20 minutes, then he said, oh...do you want to try it? No thanks dude.

You stood there for 20 minutes to listen to that? I would have bolted, screaming and tearing my hair out. :D

This lounge is bloody good, isn't it?

• Members
Originally posted by RossCompress

Who puts the internal trimmer on the ouside?

The most useful control on the inside?!?!?!

Kill me please if this has been a much cussed and discusssssed topic....

rk

If it's outside, how can it still be called an "internal" trimmer!:D

• Members

Hey y'all

I'm just getting into the fuzz game. My trajectory so far:

USA Big Muff
Boss FZ-3

Both sounded nice, but not enough clarity for me. I definitely want something more articulate.

My current pedal: Voodoo Lab Superfuzz

I love this thing, but it sounds more like a nasty distortion than a fuzz to me. Even if I keep it, I still want another fuzz.

So, that leads me to a quest for a thick, huge fuzz. I guess I'm looking for a Big Muff type sound, but more articulate. I'm thinking Frantone.

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

I'll have to step into the lounge as well...

Some of you heard these clips the last time I posted them, but I'm posting again to get a chance to hear what you fuzzheads think.

/Andreas

Very very nice clips, Andreas, thanks.

Could you help out a technophobe like me and lay out the procedure for producing sound clips? TIA

• Members

Anybody know anything about the old maestro FZ 1S? I have one. It sounds great but the output is weak. Who can help? (I cant fix stuff at all.)

Consider this, Most pedals run on a 9volt battery, some may use some resitors to reduce the voltage being used, but they still use a fair amount of the 9 available volts. YOur Maestro probably runs on one AA, that would be 1.5 volts. That would definatly be a part of the out put equation.

The heathkit Ditortion Booster I just got is also run by one AA battery. Low out put, but this can be a good thing. My VL superfuzz was not getting along with my new Class A amp. Class A amps pick up a lot of the noise in high gain pedals that AB amps cover up. But this low out put Heathkit is great on the class A amp, clean and silent until you play, the fuzz comes through just fine, and I am acheiving unity gain with no problems on this pedal, but no boost.

If you loose volume on the Maestro, you could always follow it with a booster, but if you can get by on unity, let it be.

• Members
Originally posted by keramat8

Very very nice clips, Andreas, thanks.

Could you help out a technophobe like me and lay out the procedure for producing sound clips? TIA

Thanks Keramat8!

The hard part was not recording or editing - it was to actually pull my thumbs out and just get it done. My couch is far to cozy, and there's far too many interesting things to watch on TV... :D

Anyway, I used a Sony MD recorder with a stereo mike to record myself noodling for a while. I tried to insert a track mark here and there, to help later navigation, but the recorder kept running the whole time (about 10 minutes or so). Then I transferred the interesting bits to the computer (in analog form, via the line in port) using Cool Edit 2000 as recording software. After that, I used the same software to edit out unwanted bits and make mp3s at 64kb/s - big enough to sound ok, small enough to download fast.

Obviously, a POD would have made things easier - it's a doddle to record straight into the computer - but I didn't have one at hand, so I had to mike the amp...

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by Backstepper

Consider this, Most pedals run on a 9volt battery, some may use some resitors to reduce the voltage being used, but they still use a fair amount of the 9 available volts. YOur Maestro probably runs on one AA, that would be 1.5 volts. That would definatly be a part of the out put equation.

If you loose volume on the Maestro, you could always follow it with a booster, but if you can get by on unity, let it be.

I should have mentioned it does not come close to unity gain. I've used it to record and it sounds great but it cant be used live. To far below unity gain. Analog Mike told me these were hard to fix and he didnt have time to do it but he didnt tell me why they are problematic.

• Members

Jeez - I had a few jams over the weekend with a couple of friends - had a chance to run my ? brand (most probably maxon) wah fuzz through some stacks at 'more than bedroom' volume - (it ususally it goes through my soldano atomic 16) and i swear that pedal is the harshest sounding thing I've EVER heard. It just tore through all the other noise that was going on (Beebaas, Hotcakes, Classic fuzzes, Buzzboxes, Delays, Rats, Phasers). Real choice 'fingernails on chalkboard' style rasp. I'll hafta record it someday through my friends old Holden stack - the sound is unbearable! I made some clips through the soldano - but it seems to soften the fuzz out a lot.

Oh well - I just thought I'd share that. Maybe one day I'll post the clips made with the soldano, but as rude as they sound, it ain't the real low down on what that sucker can do.

I love this pedal! (and it was FREE!):D

• Members

Cool stuff Boron. I've got a Maxon-made Fuzz Machine (I'm not sure if it's the Mica or a Bruno version) on the way... y'know, the Ibanez Standard Fuzz with a different logo. I'm salivating in anticipation of some nasty Nippon buzztone.

• Members

I should have mentioned it does not come close to unity gain. I've used it to record and it sounds great but it cant be used live. To far below unity gain. Analog Mike told me these were hard to fix and he didnt have time to do it but he didnt tell me why they are problematic.

Got contact cleaner? Spray out the pots, or just replace them, if they're 30+ years old, it would be a mirical if they were still perfect. Keep the originals, just so you could restore it if you had to.

Got a multimeter? Poke around inside, check all the resistors, to osee if they are behaving as they should be, you may need to decode the bands, to tell you what they should measure. you could also check the transistors, but I wouldn't know for sure what you're checking for.

You might also check with some true effects gurus about the safty of running it with 2 AA's, three volts. Most of the components in the old stuff is rated for a lot bigger wattage than modern stuff uses.

Barring that, you may check with the forum pedal builders and see if any one could clone it for you, it may not turn out exactly the way the original sounds, but close enough for live stuff is very possible.

• Members

Got contact cleaner? Spray out the pots, or just replace them, if they're 30+ years old, it would be a mirical if they were still perfect. Keep the originals, just so you could restore it if you had to.

Got a multimeter? Poke around inside, check all the resistors, to osee if they are behaving as they should be, you may need to decode the bands, to tell you what they should measure. you could also check the transistors, but I wouldn't know for sure what you're checking for.

You might also check with some true effects gurus about the safty of running it with 2 AA's, three volts. Most of the components in the old stuff is rated for a lot bigger wattage than modern stuff uses.

Barring that, you may check with the forum pedal builders and see if any one could clone it for you, it may not turn out exactly the way the original sounds, but close enough for live stuff is very possible.

• Members

Thanks Backstepper. i have never attempted doing stuff like that before. (Except for the contact cleaner part.) ;) High time I started trying. If it goes wrong I turn it over to someone who knows what they are doing. It really does have a cool sound.

Archived