The "FUZZ" Lounge

fuzzface71

• Members

Originally posted by Ineedapseudonym

I need something that works well with Strats (soon to have EMG PUs, hopefully) and Les Pauls. I like all sorts of music, but I'm thinking somewhere between trippy fuzz and pure raunch. The Rat does raunch, but I don't know about it doing REAL fuzz. Amp is either a Peavey VT Classic or a Marshall Valvestate S80 (stereo chorus, no visible tubes). I'm modding my Crybaby at some point, I am buying a Phase 100 from Chriss, and I use several OD/Distortions. For delay, a Line 6 DL-4 and an Ibanez DM-1000 are all I need.

try a Big Muff (USA) or maybe a DOD Classic Fuzz.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm... What about the old DOD punkifier? I heard that was quite fuzzy...

Never tried the DOD Punkifier. But, I heard that Graham Coxon of BLUR uses one on the album "13". Specially on "Bugman" and the solo on "C&TV". Another advantage of cheaper fuzz pedals are, that you can just go the store and they might have it in stock. So, try as much as you can find and eventually find one that suits your needs. Unlike boutique fuzzes, which some/most of them are not available all around like DOD, Boss, E.H., Dano etc..Goodluck!

• Members
Originally posted by Fingermush

It's a two knob fuzz box from the 70's. I just happened apon it on ebay for like $20.

70's, are you sure ?

I've got a DeArmond Twister Phaser (same casing, same knobs), sounds wonderful, but I've been told it was from the early 80's or so.

Anyway, those DeArmond boxes seem to be a bit uncommon, as I've never seen another one ( :confused: ).

• Members

OK... I've never really asked a question here that was too answerable, but still... This place is clogged beyond compare. 8 pages is far too many. I'm thinking of looking at some fuzzes/fuzzy pedals again. First 3 are Flashback fuzz, FZ-2, and Vintage Rat, if not Deucetone Rat. Any other good, inexpensive fuzzes/fuzzy pedals? Not FZ-3 or Dano French toast.

DOD Classic Fuzz FX52 (the orange one), sounds like a good BMP for dirt cheap.

• Members

Hmm... What about the old DOD punkifier? I heard that was quite fuzzy...

Funny story.....This guy that used to hang out around my old band bought one of these to play punk rock through. When he got it he hated the color so he asked me to repaint it. Being that it was the first fuzz that I'd played through I thought it was pretty cool.

A year and some serious gas latter, the same guy sold it to me for a pack of smokes. My reaction then " This thing sounds like ass". So I repainted it again and gave it to my drummer.

• Members

A year and some serious gas latter, the same guy sold it to me for a pack of smokes. My reaction then " This thing sounds like ass". So I repainted it again and gave it to my drummer.

Cool! Does he use the fuzz for his drum kit? :D

• Members

I think he did before it was sacrificed. I know that my old guitarist used to use it as a vocal fuzz; though I haven't heard it on any of their recordings. My drummers brother was a synth/engineering God and used everything everywhere!!!

My drummer is now the proud owner of an FZ-2 and a guitar player. Odd?

I just got my De Armond Square Wave DISTORTION GENERATOR!!!
It's dirty as hell, I think theirs rust around the pot's. I looked at the board and found 17 componant's on the board. Two of which are Germainium diodes(?). They look like diodes! Also theirs an op amp chip UA741TC/ F7932/indonesia.

I think I'm going to A/B it with my SUPER-FUZZ Tonight! yeah

• Members
Originally posted by Peter

70's, are you sure ?

I've got a DeArmond Twister Phaser (same casing, same knobs), sounds wonderful, but I've been told it was from the early 80's or so.

Anyway, those DeArmond boxes seem to be a bit uncommon, as I've never seen another one (
:confused:
).

The pot's date out to '79; so yeah it may actually be an early eighties pedal.:confused:

It's more transparent(?) then the SD-9, but it mantains a nasty rasp along with the sound of your guitar and amp. I had to clean out the jacks before A/B'd it with my SUPER-FUZZ. The difference was night and day. I could actually make out the notes I was playing.
I played a De Armond Twister a few years ago. I thought it sounded like a small stone. Actually; I think i'll pick that up this weekend.:D

• Members

Hadden Sayers is a great gear head out of Houston. He is from the Blues Rock school and has branched out into really killer songs with hooks on his latest release , "SUPERSONIC"
He tours nationally and is getting a lot of attention. Great singer!

He has two vintage Fuzzfaces that he uses on his record, and is a Dinosaur Fuzz guy now too.

• Members

Originally posted by greeny

How's this pedal? Does it sound great? This would be excellent for everyone who uses fuzz and overdrive. Any soundclips?

The OD in the black cat OD FUZZ is not the smooth tube screamer type of OD, but a harder, crunchier type. It can get very clean or distorted, and is very touch sensitive. Sorry I dont have any sound samples yet, the pedal just came out. Anyone who has tried the Freddy Fuzz or Black Cat OD-1 can give you more info on how the OD side sounds.

The Fuzz sounds like a fulltone '70 pedal or other good silicon fuzzface.

Hope that helps!

• Members

Originally posted by analogmike

The OD in the black cat OD FUZZ is not the smooth tube screamer type of OD, but a harder, crunchier type. It can get very clean or distorted, and is very touch sensitive. Sorry I dont have any sound samples yet, the pedal just came out. Anyone who has tried the Freddy Fuzz or Black Cat OD-1 can give you more info on how the OD side sounds.

The Fuzz sounds like a fulltone '70 pedal or other good silicon fuzzface.

Hope that helps!

Is it noisy like most silicon loaded fuzz?

• Members

It's a two knob fuzz box from the 70's. I just happened apon it on ebay for like $20. If it doesn't get here today I'm going to have a gas spaz attack!
:mad::eek:

On the other hand I'm kind of scared that it'll be too cool for me and I'll just freak out and have to put it on my bored.

You did good on the buy....average retail if you can find them is around $175...although I don't know if I would call it a fuzz, to me it's in the zone between fuzz and distortion. I don't think DeArmond made many of those so enjoy it...

:D

• Members
Originally posted by seifukusha

Man that quote reminded me of that old Soft Cell video for tainted love.eek:

I think it is odd that your drummer owns a guitar player...does he let him out of his cage for exercise?

:D

O.K. so the guitar player is his wife, so I guess it would be correct to say that an FZ-2 is owned by my old drummer who in turn is owned by his guitar player/wife///(I added the extra slash's for her):D:

Archived