NPD ZVEX spam can fuzz factory

Hiwatt Bob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the spam can FF compares nicely to old tone benders, fuzz faces, and big muffs. It can do it all.

It was ridiculous how close the spam can FF got to my Fuzzfaceless Mk.1 - that pedal just morphs seamlessly from one spec to the next, and then the {censored} hits the fan in the most gloriously horrible way and nothing comes close to it.

• Members

congrats Bob!

really intresstng the differences in the transistors... now i want a FF, but i guess i am happy with the stock one....

i mean i don't want to blow it totally out of proportion--it's not like the difference should be considered earth shattering. it's just i've always been frusterated by my newer FF because it was so trebly. i love all the crazy stuff it does, but i was never really satisfied with the more conventional settings and it's tendency to be harsh sounding. the spam can one just seems to sound much more natural, softer around the edges. there are some differences too in how it reacts at similar settings, which is dohp too. basically, i'm happy because i found a FF that actually sounds the way i always wanted it to sound.

all in all--i think it's probably something where most people would definitely be able to hear the difference but not be able to justify the price difference. it's the same thing with my DAM fleshhead, everyone who's heard it or tried it has loved it--but roll their eyes when i tell them how much it was.

• Members

It was ridiculous how close the spam can FF got to my Fuzzfaceless Mk.1 - that pedal just morphs seamlessly from one spec to the next, and then the {censored} hits the fan in the most gloriously horrible way and nothing comes close to it.

sounds like i need to try a fuzzfaceless mk.1.

• Members

i mean i don't want to blow it totally out of proportion--it's not like the difference should be considered earth shattering. it's just i've always been frusterated by my newer FF because it was so trebly. i love all the crazy stuff it does, but i was never really satisfied with the more conventional settings and it's tendency to be harsh sounding. the spam can one just seems to sound much more natural, softer around the edges. there are some differences too in how it reacts at similar settings, which is dohp too. basically, i'm happy because i found a FF that actually sounds the way i always wanted it to sound.

all in all--i think it's probably something where most people would definitely be able to hear the difference but not be able to justify the price difference. it's the same thing with my DAM fleshhead, everyone who's heard it or tried it has loved it--but roll their eyes when i tell them how much it was.

indeed - for me the FF is more a "nice to have" pedal and i am ok with the stock one in that case... a FF is not a all day pedal for me. Sure, i am not in the financial position the last time and i just try to dont think about this differences. But i guess i can hear it and if cash was not the point i would buy it - to be honest...

• Members

it's ridiculous that a 2010 300$ FF has to cut corners and doesn't even bother putting in the same original components that people seek.

fucking embarrassment of a pedal company imho.

even though it might hurt the future resale value of my spam-can :facepalm:, i do think Vex should spend a little time with the FF circuit and find a way to make it sound closer to the spam-can version. for as many people that love the FF, there's a lot who don't like it particularily because it's too bright, harsh, etc. i know there are DIY mods (cap value mods i think) to improve the tone, but i've heard that you sacrifice some of the other cool attributes of the pedal. also--you shouldn't have to buy an inventobox and figure the stuff out for yourself--it should be something Vex himself figures out and incorporates into new versions.

• Members

Nice score, I have a 97 "christmas tree'' FF that I just got, even tho it doesn't have the spam can, It sounds better then my 98' with way more oscillation. It has a little more

fuzz and it's not harsh. I love FF's, I didn't get them when I bought my first one in 2000, it took me all these years to finally appreciate them. Now I can't seem to get enough of

them. I will own a spam can version one day. I almost contemplated buying the one you have, but I couldn't part with $500 that he was asking on TGP.

• Members

Very cool old ff.

I have a hand painted ff from when the paint job changed from the original myrold to Dominic that sounds much warmer than the 05 vexter one I had. It's still quite bright though. Sounds fine into a dirty warm amp but not good into a twin type amp.

I would like zvex to make a ff which is warmer. Could they not just add a tone circuit or would that fundamentally change the sounds?

• Members

+1

Very cool old ff.

I have a hand painted ff from when the paint job changed from the original myrold to Dominic that sounds much warmer than the 05 vexter one I had. It's still quite bright though. Sounds fine into a dirty warm amp but not good into a twin type amp.

I would like zvex to make a ff which is warmer. Could they not just add a tone circuit or would that fundamentally change the sounds?

• Members

Didn't he do a 98 reissue?

Yeah... he did a 98 reissue in 2001 with spam can transistors and original type paint job and knobs. That's the one I have.

I don't think he can get those transistors anymore. He has said that when he first started making fuzz factories, he used anything that he could find. I guess he found those spam can shaped transistors somewhere in MN and used all of them. He has constantly had to change the type of transistors.

There are still some rare FF I'm looking for out there.

• Members

Yeah... he did a 98 reissue in 2001 with spam can transistors and original type paint job and knobs. That's the one I have.

I don't think he can get those transistors anymore. He has said that when he first started making fuzz factories, he used anything that he could find. I guess he found those spam can shaped transistors somewhere in MN and used all of them. He has constantly had to change the type of transistors.

There are still some rare FF I'm looking for out there.

what are the others out there?

Archived