Hey Z.Vex... get your "pissed off" face on.

L_Z_nut

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is drifting into the other thread's topic. The original poster posted a link to DIY (do-it-yourself) stompboxes. Its true that if the pedals were less expensive more "regular people" (9-to-5ers and so on) could and/or would be able to afford them but as I stated in my post, sometimes its about disposable income. Some people CAN'T afford them. Whereas I might be able to buy pedals from Zvex and other boutique pedal makers, someone else may not have the disposable income to do so. A kit offers them the opportunity to have the same technology. Some of you on here are speaking with flawed logic to an extent. By some of the logic applied on here, you shouldn't buy the parts and build your own custom guitar or even assemble your own computer because it infringes on the creativity of the originator. If you think of things less philosophically and break it down to common sense, its really simply a matter of do you want Zachery Zvex to build your pedal or do you want to buy the parts and make it yourself. A way that Zach could ease these guys out of his business is to offer the same option to people. That's probably not a profitable alternative but it is an alternative. Some musicians think of effects as tools and don't take the boutique vs. mass produced effects thing as seriously.

How many people really build their own effects boxes, anyway? I bet its less than 15% of the consumers who buy boutique pedals.

• Members

Seems like someone earlier mentioned that they wouldn't buy a fuzz face clone (I could be wrong, as I might have read "ff" as fuzz face, when it meant factory...I don't know, but bear with me)...

Dunlop makes the "fuzz face" at the moment, but Dunlop's version is no more connected to the original company electronically than any other version...they just happened to buy the name from someone along the way.

Most people consider the boutique versions to be more accurate, or of better quality overall, than the Dunlop ones. Do those of you talking about intellectual property, creativity of design, etc., object to, for example, a Sunface? The Diaz version? The BYOC?

I realize that it's a somewhat different situation, as ZVex is currently making the real versions of the pedals, while Dallas Arbiter, afaik, doesn't exist outside of the Dunlop umbrella....

It seems to me that with fuzz faces, all kinds of folks are making clones and variations, and the only difference with Dunlop is that they own the name, and probably produce more of them than anybody else....

• Members

hahah... so I emailed that site asking about the wooly mammoth and this is what I got

"yes it is available just had not the time to put it up in the shop.

The full kit is 85 Euro.Shipping to the USA is quite expencive approx. 80

Euro if you want to have it in a

reasonable time (within a week) Cheaper shipping 35 Euro will take up to 6

weeks."

Somehow I don't think it costs $118 to ship a pedal from Europe to the USA...

I just shipped a pedal to France from Portland, $125 with UPS. Insurance was about $8, fuel surcharge was $18. The rest was just pure s&h. Post office would have done it for $35 but the guy wanted UPS.

• Members
I thought clones were ok with us?

how many times have we heard 'rat' clones recomended on here?

or is it ok, to rip off proco, but not Zvex?

double standards anyone?

I'm not really sure how I feel about it to be honest but carry on, I'm interested to hear views.
:snax:

Personally, I don't care. I just thought I'd point out that there are no laws for this sort of thing and the only real solution, if you really want to stop cloning, is to kill the cloners.

• Members

The thing with this situation is that the company that is cloning Zvex's pedals is based out of Germany and thus, Zvex can take no legal action. So if someone in Germany managed to get ahold of Moog's filter design, it'd be fair game legally.

Moog's filter design has been known for over 40 years bro.

• Members

isnt the wooly mammoth a clone of some other pedal?

its based on a vox distortion booster, not the fuzz face like thought.

the vox and ff are very similar but the vox resembles the wm more closely.

the vox doesnt have a tone section like the wm and besides a few value changes here and there theyre almost identical,BUT it took smarts to make those changes in the right place to begin with.

ive based one of my fuzzes off the wm and vox as well, i love the vox,and wm of course theyre both sick {censored}ing effects and the chuck zwicky design is a huge influence on me.

re:this thread

people want a certain sound but aren't prepared to pay for it, i wanted the wm bad so i payed for it,is it worth it to me? {censored} YES!

it all comes down to how bad you want it,if its bad enough youl pay for it.

i love mine so much i'm buying another one cause it has new art work on it.:freak:

:wave:

• Members

I based one of my fuzzes off the wm and vox as well, i love the vox,and wm of course theyre both sick {censored}ing effects and the chuck zwicky design is a huge influence on me.

I don't know how to ask this without sounding like I'm "challenging" you but I promise I am not. When you studied the wm circuit did you buy one from zvex or use a schematic found online?

How do you feel about publishing of schematics for the educational, not financial, benefit of new builders?

• Members

the question is whether anyone tried any of these pedals... we talk about them but can we really judge it before we try it? I am curious for one. I like the fuzz factory, bought one but i dunno if I want to keep such an expensive piece of equipment. It's in "test" at a friend's studio so we'll see but I'd love to try the wooly mammoth copy as the original is hard to find, expensive and risky in the sonic aspect (what if I don't like it?)...ebay is not always the solution.

• Members

Dudes...this is 9 pages long. seriously? here's the summary:

if you get a z.vex copy, you won't get chix like you would if you had a real z.vex. bitches please. end of story.

Besides...everytime a z.vex clone is bought, another fairy falls down DEAD.

• Members

Dudes...this is 9 pages long. seriously? here's the summary:

if you get a z.vex copy, you won't get chix like you would if you had a
real
z.vex. bitches please. end of story.

Besides...everytime a z.vex clone is bought, another fairy falls down DEAD.

chicks AND fairies? i'm sold.

Youre such a crusader. Why don't you invite Zach over to your apartment so you can lick his balls?

Let's not go there please. :(:cop:

This discussion has been reasonably civil, even though there have been a wide range of POV's expressed. I'd like to keep it that way please, and ask that you refrain from the ad hominem attacks.

Thanks. :)

Archived