Hey Z.Vex... get your "pissed off" face on.

L_Z_nut

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I was under the impression that it was a really poorly managed company.

what? what about the company? i'm talking about the circuit, it works correctly.

the guy even uses wima caps buy the look of it, they are about as high quality as ya can get an zvex dont even use em.imo theyre nothing special anyways.

• Members

what? what about the company? i'm talking about the circuit, it works correctly.

the guy even uses wima caps buy the look of it, they are about as high quality as ya can get an zvex dont even use em.imo theyre nothing special anyways.

What I meant to say is I judged their circuits based on their website, which has typos and errors everywhere.

why should it be any different for zvex pedals?

It's a very good question, and one for which I fear there is really no cut and dried answer.

I'm not an attorney, and so I can't speak to the legal issues with any authority. From my limited understanding, it is possible to go too far with the "look and feel" and infringe that way, or on a trademarked name. Circuit design is apparently a bit more of a gray area, especially when dealing internationally.

How I personally feel about it (FWIW - just my own POV) is that if the original is still available and for sale from the original company (or someone who bought the rights to the original), then I usually will buy that. If I get something custom built, it's usually a one-off, with specific features I want that are not available on the originals. For example, Dan Armstrong's original Orange Squeezers are no longer in production (at least not in the original format, with the original circuit). The originals also were not in pedal format, and lacked an external volume and bias control - features I definitely wanted. Under those circumstances, I don't feel bad about building myself a modified clone for my personal use, or even paying someone to build it for me. However, I would NOT feel comfortable with buying a direct cosmetic and circuit clone (or a pseudo-clone) of something that is currently in production just to "save a few bucks". That, to me, is crossing the line. I'd feel the same way about a ZVex clone, or E13 Clone, or Subdecay clone or a Boss clone. It doesn't matter who the original company was. If it's still in production, and I'm not looking for an intentionally modified / different feature set, I'll get the original. I wouldn't be particularly interested in a B______er clone or "lookalike" of a EHx or Boss pedal. I'd rather have the original.

YMMV, and I can understand that... but that's how I basically feel on the issue. It's up to each of you to decide how you feel about it, and then vote with your wallets. Personally, I want to support the companies who work hard at developing new and innovative products, not just people who are trying to "cash in" on the work of others. :wave:

• Members

why should it be any different for zvex pedals?

It's a very good question, and one for which I fear there is really no cut and dried answer.

I'm not an attorney, and so I can't speak to the legal issues with any authority. From my limited understanding, it is possible to go too far with the "look and feel" and infringe that way, or on a trademarked name. Circuit design is apparently a bit more of a gray area, especially when dealing internationally.

How I personally feel about it (FWIW - just my own POV) is that if the original is still available and for sale from the original company (or someone who bought the rights to the original), then I usually will buy that. If I get something custom built, it's usually a one-off, with specific features I want that are not available on the originals. For example, Dan Armstrong's original Orange Squeezers are no longer in production (at least not in the original format, with the original circuit). The originals also were not in pedal format, and lacked an external volume and bias control - features I definitely wanted. Under those circumstances, I don't feel bad about building myself a clone, or even paying someone to build it for me. However, I would NOT feel comfortable with buying a direct cosmetic and circuit clone (or a pseudo-clone) of something that is currently in production just to "save a few bucks". YMMV, and I can understand that... but that's how I basically feel on the issue.
:wave:

What if the clone was more expensive? using better quality components?

I dunno man, I mean...I'll buy a Skreddy Mayo (Muff clone) or a Foxrox Hot Silicon (Fuzz Face) without a worry, as would many other people.

Cloners offer an alternative, be it in quality or price. Many people here make a living from that, I dont see why zvex should be some untouchable pedal maker.

Its no different to the GAP selling designs copied from origainal designers like Prada or whatever. Its part of the territory. The same thing goes for amps (how many marshall clones are out there?) and guitars (strat clone anyone?)

I dont mean to be pissing on Zvex, its just the example in question. I like Zach, he seems like good people, I often listen to his honey-toned gear demos to get to sleep at night.

I'm just calling this how I see it.

• Members

if you use clones off ts808s,ff etc but have a problem with these clones then your a hypocrite!

if you have no problem with any clone then your not a hypocrite, what you are is to be determined tho imo!

if you have problems with all clones you are not a hypocrite!

pretty simple, but you cant pick and choose because it dont work like that!

Archived