Need a new Reverb (long decay, spacey, ambient stuff, shoegaze etc)

gae86

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've owned most of the ones mentioned here except for the cathedral, but the holy and holiest grail sound like playing in a garbage can and a bigger garbage can, so I think I have that answered for me. The hardwire offerings are nice, but almost too soft on the attack for me. The space is only good for novelty sounds (but it does excel at those). I'm going to give the context a shot, though.

• Members

I've owned most of the ones mentioned here except for the cathedral, but the holy and holiest grail sound like playing in a garbage can and a bigger garbage can, so I think I have that answered for me. The hardwire offerings are nice, but almost too soft on the attack for me. The space is only good for novelty sounds (but it does excel at those). I'm going to give the context a shot, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie g

View Post

I just got a Cathedral off Craiglist last night because it was such a good deal and I only got to play it for like 15 minutes but I like it alot. Very customizable from all the different reverb settings plus has tons of control over the reverb themselves. I am very impressed by it. I have a Dispatch Master too but will keep that just got crazy delay/reverb stuff most likely it's a very cool pedal and even just dialed back to be a normal reverb, it's still pretty nice.

• Members

I've had a Dr Scientist RRR for a while and just got a Flint last week or so.

The RRR is awesome and sounds incredible but the decay times were a bit short for my liking so looked into Flint (since I love trem as well).

The Flint is probably my fav reverb now. All the modes are awesome, it gets super long, and like Gareth said above isn't too hi-fi like others.

Personally I really dislike the sound Wet but one thing that really I like about it is you can download any of his other algorithms on to it (such as mod verb, shimmer, and a chorus and delay as well I think).

• Members

My guitar player uses a cathedral and I really like the sounds he gets out of it. I have the boost RVB and love it. The boost feature is really useful to me because it helps me match the volume of my clean reverb tone to my very distorted rhythm tone. I'm expecting a Hall Of Fame today that my wife got me for Christmas so I can report on that later. Out of all the verbs out there that context pedal intrigues me the most.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gambit

View Post

you like your big box EHX right? holier grail any good? idn_smilie.gif

Holier Grail is very similar to the original Holy Grail but with some extra features. I use it a ton, but mostly for drum machine stuff because of the gate feature.

For long decay stuff from EHX your best bet would be The Cathedral or the Holiest Grail... both have stereo outputs and spacious plate style verbs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

Holier Grail is very similar to the original Holy Grail but with some extra features. I use it a ton, but mostly for drum machine stuff because of the gate feature.

For long decay stuff from EHX your best bet would be The Cathedral or the Holiest Grail... both have stereo outputs and spacious plate style verbs.

Wow I totally forgot about it! I think I never seen one in person. I've read something and listen some samples, it's really interesting, but seems so rare now!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gae86

View Post

Wow I totally forgot about it! I think I never seen one in person. I've read something and listen some samples, it's really interesting, but seems so rare now!

The Holier Grail? I wouldn't recommend it if you want really long decays. A used Cathedral is still the most affordable EHX offering for what you might be looking for. But if you want to try something a bit more rare and different, the Holiest Grail is a really great box IMO. It has some very unique features about it, like separate controls for the the direct signal and the wet signal. The expression pedal input also controls the wet signal mix, which is super useful.

Archived