What size shoes do you wear?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yep. I know a lot of people that have some sort of weird pride about wearing big shoes or being very tall though. If you posted a thread called 'How tall are you?' you'd see a lot of people gloating about how huge they are.

I don't see the appeal (6'3"). I'd quite happily lose a few inches in height and drop a shoe size or three. It just makes life more difficult- I'm not exactly freakishly tall, and there are plenty of people with bigger feet than me, but I still have a hard time finding clothes that fit well (unless I decide that the Nels Cline tall-man's ankle-swingers look is for me) because clothes makers seem to assume that anyone who's six feet tall must be six feet wide too, and I have to be careful not to hit my head on door frames, particularly in older buildings.

I can't sit comfortably in the back seat of a good proportion of cars, I really ought to have a raised desk at work so I don't have to hunch over and hurt my back to see my screen, none of the main shoe chains stock my size in more than one or two styles, or more commonly don't stock them at all.

The plus side? People ask me to get things for them off the top shelves at the supermarket and make piercingly insightful comments like "you're tall" and "you have big feet" (and occasionally the associated "you know what they say about men with big feet" stuff) as if I'm going to say "oh {censored}! really? When did that happen? What do they say about men with big feet?". I get asked for directions a lot. I think people think I can see the place they're trying to get to from all the way up here :D

• Members
I don't see the appeal (6'3"). I'd quite happily lose a few inches in height and drop a shoe size or three. It just makes life more difficult- I'm not exactly freakishly tall, and there are plenty of people with bigger feet than me, but I still have a hard time finding clothes that fit well (unless I decide that the Nels Cline tall-man's ankle-swingers look is for me) because clothes makers seem to assume that anyone who's six feet tall must be six feet wide too, and I have to be careful not to hit my head on door frames, particularly in older buildings.

I can't sit comfortably in the back seat of a good proportion of cars, I really ought to have a raised desk at work so I don't have to hunch over and hurt my back to see my screen, none of the main shoe chains stock my size in more than one or two styles, or more commonly don't stock them at all.

The plus side? People ask me to get things for them off the top shelves at the supermarket and make piercingly insightful comments like "you're tall" and "you have big feet" (and occasionally the associated "you know what they say about men with big feet" stuff) as if I'm going to say "oh {censored}! really? When did that happen? What
do
they say about men with big feet?". I get asked for directions a lot. I think people think I can see the place they're trying to get to from all the way up here
:D

Much agreed, particularly on the clothes thing. I'm 6'2" and 150 lbs. so I usually rock a medium, but a lot of shirts I don't get cause they're too short.

• Members

Yep. I know a lot of people that have some sort of weird pride about wearing big shoes or being very tall though. If you posted a thread called 'How tall are you?' you'd see a lot of people gloating about how huge they are.

Well, I'm 6'4"... not gloating or anything, just stating a fact. It has it's advantages and disadvantages... as I'm sure other heights do also. :idk:

• Members

Oh crap... tell me about it. The clothes thing bugs me. Somehow all the manufacturers decided to change from even sizes to odd sizes so it's even harder to get trousers long enough. :facepalm:

• 3 years later...

Archived