The Delay Lounge

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by VicShat

im stealing all these of a google image search for "delay pedals" "tape echo" that kind of stuff.

Crafty...I'll go back and add some commentary to my pics...just busy with work and I'm on the road today...

• Members

Now for something a little bit different.

37fxEchovibe.jpg

A custom pedal made by Tim Kaiser - the Atomic Sonic Echo Vibe. Combination of a warm analog delay with a "grit" control and a very tweakable pitch vibrato. You can run each effect by itself or both together. Think psychedelic rockabilly!

• Members
Originally posted by Legendofamind7

Can the delay lounge suggest me my first delay pedal, please? I play mostly classic rock/blues/jazz, pink floyd's music. Price range is $100-150 but would wait and save more if you think its a must. Thanks guys.
:cool:

i would recommend the boss dm2 ($150), just because it is good sounding to most people and is compact. I don't see most delay use being over 400 msec. Maybe try the digital boss dd3 which is even cheaper.

• Members
Originally posted by Legendofamind7

Can the delay lounge suggest me my first delay pedal, please? I play mostly classic rock/blues/jazz, pink floyd's music. Price range is $100-150 but would wait and save more if you think its a must. Thanks guys.
:cool:

For $150 and Pink Floyd, I'd go with a used Deluxe Memory Man:

http://www.analogman.com/samples/hell.mp3

• Members

Lately on eaBay DM-2's have been going for $ 200. DM-3's have been going for around $ 150. I am not sure what EHX DMM's have been going for but should be much cheaper. Some don't like the case, but hey, it's stainless steel. I have one on order.

TW

• Members
Originally posted by VicShat

does the reel echo self ocillate?

I don't think I've ever gotten it to. I have a wonderfully cheap unit called an Echosound (about which I can't seem to find any information online) that handles all of my necessary self-oscillation duties. :D

• Members

i'v had:
ibanez ad-9.. vintage one.. really nice warm dlay
boss dd-5.. nice delay.. it sounds a bit sterile what do you expect
pearl f-605.. very rare item.. it's more of an echo type pedal.. only a very short delay time..
tc electronic d-two.. it's on ebay... it's just too much for me....
my latest one.. kmd analog delay.. gives amicrophonic noise when delay knob is set beyond 2 o'clock.... if anyone remembers kmd is also the manufacture for pearl pedals.... here's a pic...
pedalen.jpg

• Members

All I've really had, besides a Boss digital delay, is Maxon's. I have the AD-9, AD-80, and the AD-900. My favorite is the AD-900. It sounds best. The only drawback is it doesn't have two outputs.

Although I haven't tried the Moogerfooger delay, I do have other moogerfoogers, and one of their qualities is that they don't have a lot of headroom, although they sound great. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Moog echo.

I have always thought it kind of odd that vintage Ibanez AD-80s and AD-9s sell for so little on ebay, compared to their Maxon offspring.

I've never tried any other analog pedals, but I'm curious about the Aqua Puss , the Moog, and the tape delays, such as the new Fulltone.

My instinct is to prefer the analog delay (to the tape delays) for the long term, since there are no moving parts: less to break and repair. This will become more of a concern to me 10 - 20 years from now when the boutique guitar and effect repair markets dry up. I want to get stuff that's built to last - no questions asked. Still though, I'm curious about all the extra options on some of these tape delays.

Another thing I'm curious is the Boss DM-2, if that's the right name. This is supposedly an analog delay pedal, but I wonder if it measures up to the comparable Maxon AD-9 and AD-80. There are a million Boss users, so I wonder if the raves about this pedal are simply ignorance about other options, or well informed plaudits.

Feel free to reply to any and all of these queries.

PS - My last query is about the AD-999. Although some of the harmony central reviews say its' great, I have it from some very informed sources that it does not sound as good. Assuming this is true, I wonder if the new line of bucket brigade chips that they are manufacturing will improve in quality in the years ahead.

Another thing I've wondered is - why do television manufacturers need delay chips?

• Members

Originally posted by Vatican

All I've really had, besides a Boss digital delay, is Maxon's. I have the AD-9, AD-80, and the AD-900. My favorite is the AD-900. It sounds best. The only drawback is it doesn't have two outputs.

Another thing I'm curious is the Boss DM-2, if that's the right name. This is supposedly an analog delay pedal, but I wonder if it measures up to the comparable Maxon AD-9 and AD-80.

I A/B'd the DM-2 and the AD-9.

Very very similar. I liked them both and just kept the DM-2 for its resale value (the AD-9 had been repainted).

They're both warm analog delay units.

• Members

i have been through a dl4, dd20, de7, dd3, em5 (lovely, but no self oscillation), dm2, t-rex replica and just about everything else.

my all time fav is my ep4 echoplex but it doesn't travel well on planes, especially since baggage handlers in all of the uk airports swing from trees and can't read FRAGILE stickers!

my memory man died awhile ago and i bought a new one yesterday. everything else is now for sale. i forgot how {censored}ing AMAZING these babies are! the new one is true bypass. couldn't believe it! i had my soldering iron out and my true bypass schematic too!

my advise is get one of these if you want an organic analog delay with big enough knobs to get your foot around for adjusting delay time on the fly. it's easy to do this and i have to sing and play. if i can do it, anyone can!

the rest of those digital sampling things are toys. they all sound like crap.

Archived