The Delay Lounge

Guest Anonymous

delay.jpg

DE-7 on the way... now I just need a Digi-Delay or Echo Park for some reverse fun. :')

ever.

P.S. I plan on buying atleast two more PDS 20/20's for my live rig... they're a serious must have.... seriously.... :')

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was a Space echo on a dutch second hand site, selling for like 40 euro's! I was too damn late! :(

I've got the smaller version of the Pearl delay posted earlier. I will take some pics tonight and tell something about it.

Any clips of the Moog delay? I love that thing!

• Members

DL4-Im sure most of you know about this one so i will be brief. This is my favorite pedal ever. i have 2 on my board. it kicks ass.:)

Dan Echo-This is a great, cheap, analogish delay. has great slapback and good longer repeats too. i believe up to 350ms but im not sure. this thing is perfect for circuit benders. i have gotten so many cool, usable sounds out of this thing, including a decent overdrive!

Univox EC-80 Echo chamber- This is my favorite sounding delay, actually probably my favorite sound period.:) Unfortunately this thing is unreliable. I have two but one has been with fingermush for months while he attempts to fix it.:( the tapes are impossible to replace, but it sounds so sweet. very warbly and lofi echos. the self-ocilation on this thing is the best. there is a section of one of our songs that i use this with the feedback at about 5 (starting to self ocillate) and i strum a chord, then most the time knob and it creates this huge noise out of the chord. it sounds like a huge wind storm. i always get compliments on it after a show. If it's working properly that night that is.:(

DOD fx90 (? i think)- this is the green dod smapler/delay. i only had this for about 2 days before i broke it, while trying to circuit bend it.:(:) fingermush also has this one. i couldnt really understand the loop feature, plus it was only 4 seconds so i didnt really see the point. the dleays sounded ok, like a dd-5 until i started turning those sweet noise giving trimpots! got some great lofi/burst of noise echoes. unfortunatly i started cirbuit bending it and that didnt last long.:)

DMM-Great pedal i always try to justify having one on my board, but 2 DL4s and a dan echo are already taking up over half my space, so it always ends up off the board. great modulated delay if it could do the "Storm" ocillation like i described in the univox review this would be a permanent resident on my board. it does sound close to the tape delay, but not quite as distorted.

poly chorus- ok this isnt really a delay, but i does have a double tracking feature. the double tracking is ok. very short time 200ms i believe. horrible self ocillation. jsut a load buzzing noise. the chorus mode has some cool delays to, if you turn up the feddback and dleay time you can get some cool siren pitchbend noise delays. very cool pedal.

• Members

A little aside on the DL4 and an expression pedal:

Maybe my only disappointment with the DL4 is that the expression pedal winds up controlling delay time whether you like it or not. You can set the toe & heel position to the same rate, with care, but then if you tap in a tempo or change the tempo manually in one position you have to do the same in the other. In other words, a tapped tempo isn't global, but is specific to whatever the expression pedal position is.

This seems a bit useless to me. I want the pedal to control repeats or mix, and rarely want the crazy warble of changing delay time.

I just discovered, to my considerable delight, that the "rhythmic delay" or whatever it's called doesn't work like that. In that preset, you can tap in a tempo in any expression pedal position and the tempo will stay put while you control any other parameter.

You may already have figured this out, but for me it turned the kind of useless expression pedal into a real feature. Nice.

• Members

i have to chime in here because I am a self-professed delay freak and my favorite has not been mentioned. I've tried MANY delays analog and digital, but for some reason the one that holds the most special place in my heart is:

DanelectroDJ24Big.jpg

Yep that's right. Twist the speed knob and get the best pitchshifts I've ever heard. 2 switches, short and long. Both are digital but somehow very warm like an analog delay.

I know the minis's construction is not the best and although i've never had a problem with reliability, i still plan on getting it rehoused, with an expression pedal input mod. Real time pitchshifts baby!!! I'm told this is a difficult job, but i'm willing to pay for it becasue I want this baby to last forever! I have not tried the Danecho, but I've hear that is also very cool.

• Members

Delays I've owned (or borrowed) previously:

Boss DD-3

Danelectro Dan Echo

Boss DD-5

DOD FX-96

The one I have now - the DD-2:

dd2.jpg

I prefer it for my rig. It sounds pretty good in front an amp which is important to me. It is reliable and sounds decent. It is a little digital but still has some warmth and character to the repeats. I can get Eric Johnson kind of delay things happening - up to Pink Floyd too.

• Members

Korg 301dl Dynamic Delay - two presets, maximum delay time of 1000ms, lots of tone shapers - hi-cut, lo-cut, hi-damp, lo-damp, also has ducking. Will do great slapback with a pre-delay that mimics the DeLayla Tap function, except you get to vary the time delay of the second beat.

Very very versatile.

The only reason I don't still have it is because the Ibanez DML-10 has modulated delays.

The hi-cut and lo-cut features are incredible for making the delay sound more like analog. And you can adjust them to taste, so it's not just like cutting off your highs at a certain point. You decide.

Same with the "lo-fi" feature on it. You can set it to be more lo-fi, which gives the delays as much or as little "warble" as you want. Very tape-like or not quite as tape-like. Use in conjunction with the hi-cut for ultimate power.

Finally, the ducking feature. This is also adjustable, and it determines the volume of the repeats based on whether or not you're still playing (this is the "Dynamic" part of "Dynamic Digital Delay" in the name of the unit). Ducking is usually only found on expensive rack effects (like the TC-2290, which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet), and does wonders for keeping things from getting muddy. Turn up the ducking, and the repeats get quieter while you're playing other notes. As soon as you stop playing, repeats ramp up to full volume again (whatever you've set the repeat volume to be).

Finally, someone asked about the presets. These are user presets. It's a little tricky to get the hang of programming them, but someone posted a review on the HC FX Database that explains it clearly. Basically, you have two user-defined presets that you can save to the unit. Then, you can set it to a different setting before a show and you essentially have three different settings to go through. Very handy.

Like I said before, the only thing it's missing is modulated delays (though the lo-fi feature touches on that with the tape-like warble). Also, no tap tempo (if you're into that kind of thing).

That said, bring on the Line 6 Echo Park...It's got everything I've mentioned and more: Modulation, Ducking, Analog and tape sims, tap tempo. The only downsides I can see at this point are: 1) that the modulation is controlled by a single knob - so you can't set the depth and rate independently; and 2) The ducking appears to be pre-set - so you can't determine your own ducking level. Still looks to be a great delay in stompbox form, though.

• Members

Delay FreQs Listen Up!

I too love delay and have or have owned most but one of my favs is a plugin you must try- Ohmboyz . It KILLS on guitar vocals or anything. Try the demo if you have a computer and recording software. Just click on program 1 and play with the delay and filter settings. I also have Antares Filter but Ohmboyz is THE delay.

www.ohmforce.com/ViewCategory.do?category=Effects

• Members

I'm running my DD-3 and my PDS20/20 right now...

The PDS was up for sale, but the Korg is worth more, so I decided to sell it instead.

The Korg SDD-1000 is like the PDS, but with a little better sound quality, and more overall control over the delay itself, whereas the PDS has more control over the modulation and crazyiness (IMO).

• Members

I've been using the echo on my Visual Sound H2O - it's a seriously underrated delay! I just picked up a Boss DD-3 yesterday. I like it - simple, easy to use, sounds good. I was leaning toward getting a DL4, but I just don't think I use delay that much.

How do you guys use delay? I find myself just using delay for solos - just a short slap back to make things sound bigger and fill in some of the gaps (we're a one guitar band). I'm definitely not a noise maker (at least in the shoegazer sense - I make plenty of noise). Am I missing out on all that delay has to offer?

And somebody tell me about the hi-cut mod. Is it reversable or permanent or what about switchable - that would be cool. Or should I pick up a DE7 for a slightly softer more ambient sound.

• Members

I have a DD-20, which is just ace. Better comments have been made by other people.

Heres one for you: My bandmate uses a DOD TR3 multieffect. It has chorus ({censored}) distortion (even {censored}tier) and a delay (whoa, this thing rocks). The delay has a lovely analog chunkiness to my ears, with that loose decay that i love.

anyone know what that delay is based on? is it only for this model?

• Members

Pedals:

Boss DD2-currently out of order, manged to fry it with an open spot on a daisy chain. Liked it for generic sounds while it worked.

EH DMM-Love the sound, hate the dedicated power supply and size. keeps it off my practice board because of this.

Digitech PDS8000- Love this unit, but the background noise on the unit I have is overwhelming. need to see if someone can fix/repair it.

Line 6 DL4- use it primarily for looping feature. I might get a DD20 for dedicated delay use, or just program one of the various rack units.

Arion SAD- neat unit. I like it for short slapback stuff.

Ibanez DE7- primarily used in conjuction w/ the DL4 and a RV3 on practice board. stays in echo mode constanly.

Boss RV3- primarliy used for reverb and reverb delay combinations for my practice board. Its got a cold, cavernous sound I use for effect.

Rack stuff:

Alesis Quadraverb

Alesis Midiverb II

Alesis Midiverb IV

Yamaha GEP 50

Korg A3

Roalnd SDE 1000

• Members

What sounds better for ambient reverb type of delays - I typically just use a short delay to make my solos sound much bigger than they really are. It works well for our one guitar band.

DD-3

DD-3 with high cut mod

DE-7

Also what are some more uses for delay that I'm missing out on. (I posted this above, but nobody replied).

Archived