OT: The Ultimate "Vox AC30 re-issue" Thread!!

• Members

Sorry if I repeat something said before, just don't have the time
or the will to read thru every post in this ever long thread.

1) for the vox, the alnico blue is the best new speaker I've heard.
far superior to the weber p12b. Problem, they take forever to
break in. I haven't heard the Red Fang, but it has gotten some
great press. Just doesn't have that vox sound with greenbacks.

2) yeah, tubes will take your vox in new direction.
mullard 12ax7s, amperex el84s. You can try out other tubes
and try and save some $$, but these are by far the best combo
for that vox sound.

3) old vox speakers (vintage celestion alnicos) just don't have
their tone anymore. Something dull about them. However,
having a vintage celestion alnico reconed will just blow you
away. Orange county speaker repair has a cheaper recone
package that sounds far better than the celestion package.

4) pedals - www.v-stack.com checkout the BHM pedal for the
vox sounds. Note, this pedal is for direct recording or for use
with a vox amp. The pedal sounds good with a Fender or
Marshall type, but works best when used with a vox.

Please don't flame me for my opinions and experience with the
vox amps. I hope you guys take advantage at my expense.

Good Luck

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you check out the "Which Fuzz for an AC30" thread, you can hear my US Tele through an AC30, with a lil' fuzz here and there. As for the solid state 'vs' valve rectifier, if you're looking for the "Vox sound" it's in the valve rectifier models. You will not regret an AC30tbx reissue, I assure you!

If you have any dedicated Vox concerns,post them here. Those guys know every inch of every Vox.

Tea.

• Members

Originally posted by Oceans 11

First off. Can someone please give a comparison (based on experience and not prejudice) between a SS rectifier and a Tube rectifier.

I play a tele into an AC30. Re: rectifier, I'd go the tube route unless you want more headroom and less sag, then maybe you'd prefer the SS. But most people who get ac30s prefer the tube rectifier. i actually wanted less headroom, and even more sag/browner sound, so I put in a 5y3 rectifier. the amp is still monsterly loud and stays clean up to at 11:00 on the dial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Beatles-1964

I would like to have better speed tweekability.

Sure you can. A 1M pot would get you everything that you have with the switch, all the inbetween settings, and then some.

I'd recommend putting a 25-50K resistor between the ground lug and ground though, so the input grid has a ground load at all times (when you have the pot all the way down).

The hardest part is getting that switch off the board and running leads to a normal pot. I haven't done this to my amp, but from poking around inside, it doesn't look that bad.

-Nick

• Members

yes, but according to interviews, he used a cranked AC30, occassionally with a Rat pedal, for the entire album.
---------------------------------------------
Fair price for a RI is about $1200 used for the Blues, a little less for one with greenbacks.

The ac15s are a bit cheaper, but since they're discontinued, they're getting harder to find.

• Members

I stole this useful post from Myles at the amp forum:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vox AC-30 Reissue owners and owners of "Ratty" originals you may want to read this.

Jimmy Wigle ( I have some stuff on him over at http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/jw1.html ) is a great AC-30 tech. Over the years he has tired of trying to "put back" messes in original amps where too many tech have caused various forms of disaster.

Jimmy now has a PTP wired "original" drop in boards. I think the cost is $200 but I am not sure.

The boards can also be dropped in an AC-30 Reissue with the expected results.

You can contact Jimmy at his email at lab@groovetubes.com or call him toll free at 1-800-459-5687.

Just a tip for the HC folks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Members

I do indeed have the rattle in my AC30. And from what I've read, it's just part of having this particular amp. You've got to figure that the tube layout, coupled with those inherently delicate El84's, is bound to produce some noise. I've just learned to live with it--though I did buy those rubber tube dampers (glorified rubber bands) which have helped a bit.

Archived