OT: The Ultimate "Vox AC30 re-issue" Thread!!

• Members

The band was in the studio this week and I couldn't quite ge the tone i was looking for. The engineer whipped out an old 360. It sounds incredible through my vox. A rick has rapidly made my buy list. It was totally that REM tone.

As an aside, I got my BJF Honey Bee today. What a pedal. It's more a color and light overdrive pedal, but it's amazing, it's kinda gritty and smooth at the same time, with a wicked tone knob that sends it all over the place. When turned off, my ac15 sounds flat out dead.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanks. that's a great song. done live, to boot.

Just got a Maxon OD808 from Ian, I too am enjoying the TS-t-AC30 tone. My ears don't lie, and I tend to like a lot of mids in my tone.

(Ian - don't worry, I've shipped your pedals to you... been a bit distracted by awaiting the birth of my second child... had two false alarms... new job, too - so it's been hectic. but your pedals are on their way. )

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

of the sound or the pedal ???

the pedal looks like this:

proto.jpg

i also have a smaller mxr-sized mi audio-proto with pink led on the way.... im afraid that if this one gets broken, there wont be a new one to buy so i got me a backup.
:)

Hey olle...we'll see in a few days..someone's letting me try this sucker!!! :p;):cool:

• Members

I've yet to figure out the difference between the AC-30 and the -15. I've *really* been thinking about that AC-30 sound lately, but I don't want all that volume. AC-15 comparable? If so, is there even a noticeable volume difference between the two?

And are the reissues generally considered as good as the originals?

• Members

Originally posted by Grubgoat

I've yet to figure out the difference between the AC-30 and the -15. I've *really* been thinking about that AC-30 sound lately, but I don't want all that volume. AC-15 comparable? If so, is there even a noticeable volume difference between the two?

AC30= 30 watts 2 speakers

AC15= 15 watts 1 speaker

• Members

Originally posted by Grubgoat

There's plenty of differences, but overall it's the "little brother" version of the AC-30.

The AC-15 does have the Voxy sound and chime, but it's not going to get you quite the same sound as the AC-30. Part of that is volume, part is the dual speakers, and part is just the sheer number of tubes and whatnot. That said, it's still a great little amp. And the Master Volume is pretty key...

Like many things, the reissues aren't as good as the originals, but they're still pretty solid. With the originals, quality control wasn't as consistent as the reissues, so a reissue is probably "safer." Don't get an original unless you've played it first.

Don Butler (www.tone-man.com) does mods to Voxes, and can make your reissue sound like a vintage amp.

• Members

I was thinking of getting an ac-30 reissue-- it's on my amp want list with a super reverb, bandmaster and bassman-- since it's cheaper than the old ones. I know the old ones sound better but like you said the new ones have better quality control. Me thinks that if you put NOS american tubes in the vox reissue she should come pretty close when it comes to tone.

I saw a ac 30 reissue with greenback for sale privately for 1500 canadian = 1100 american. Usually in stores around here they go for 2000 canadian with tax in.

The good thing is that I can test an 30 reissue out since two people in my new band have ac 30 reissues.

• Members

Glad to see this thread back in action.

I am loving life as I've just taken delivery of a Love Pedal 50 and have not been able to put my guitar down since this morning. This thing just loves my AC30 RI w/ Cel Blues. It sort of reminds me of the Hotcake -- which everyone seems to recommend for this amp -- but to my ears, it's far better. Yes, the Crowther's got more controls, which may mean more versatility, but I found it to get wimpy and hissy after noon on the gain dial. It wasn't bad, but the Love Pedal takes the same concept and just sounds more awesome. Reminds me of what my amp sounds like cranked, only not as compressed... the pedal is much more open.

I, like others, jumper the Brilliant and Normal channels... plug into the back input of the Brilliant and then run a patch from the front input to the back input of the Normal channel. Basically try to dial in just enough of the Briliiant sparkle, but let the Normal channel's volume do the tonal heavy lifting. Looking at my amp, I see my preferred settings are treble at 9:00, bass at 11:30, and cut at 3:00. It should be noted I like my tone a bit brighter than the average bear -- as my band's singer has a lower, Stephen Stills-esque voice and therefore clashes with the guitars if they're too middy or bassy. I play a 52 Tele RI and Rick 360/6, and my main other effects are phaser (MXR), delay (Ibanez AD-9), and the amp's own tremolo.

Granted, I am still honeymooning with the Love Pedal, but those of you who have followed my distortion/overdrive exploits know that I've been on a major hunt for the right stomper worthy of this fine amp. Here's my sordid tale:

When I first got the AC30, I had a Keeley BD-2. It rocked. Really, a worthy pedal that sounded great. No doubt. But at the time I was playing a Strat, and for some reason, the BD-2 didn't sound right to my ears with the Strat, and I heard so much hype about the Hotcake, I....

...had to buy the Hotcake. I tried to like this pedal, really I did, but within time determined the Keeley rocked more, until...

... I traded the Keeley for the NVN Bronto Jr. I was looking for a 2-stage overdrive and thought this notorious unit might be the ticket. Truth be told, it worked well with the AC30. Definitely gave a vintage/trashy Hives sort of sound. But never could get the second stage to give me a big enough volume boost to solo/etc., plus was concerned about the "design flaw" and lack of customer support, so...

... unloaded the Bronto and bought a Keeley SD-1. The stock Boss SD-1 sounded pretty good, so I thought for sure the Keeley would be overwhelmingly better. It did sound rocking. Especially in my basement at low volumes. But on stage, my tone was too middy, and would be cluttered in the mix. Plus, I found this unit very noisy. So, sold it and got a ...

... Rocktron Austin Gold. Great pedal! This is one of the more underrated pedals out there, IMO. Really a great overdrive -- nothing more, nothing less. But then got an opportunity to get a...

... Baron Boost, and liked it more, so sold the Austin. Wow, this guy is a keeper all the way. Not so much of an overdrive, but it just slams the hell out of my preamp and really plays well with this old Rat2 my bass player found at a garage sale. But I stlll wanted a cool OD....

... So, got a Maxon OD 808. Heard some of you were having luck with TS-type pedals, and the Maxon seemed like a good alternative. I just didn't like it with the Vox. Just too middy. Sure it's a great pedal, but not for me. Still, glad I tried it. (It's for sale, if anyone wants it.) So...

... Went back to the Rat2. The Rat2 should be commended. You want that Foo Fighters Learning to Fly/Stacked Actors sound? Play a Rat through an AC30, and turn it up. I found myself enjoying the Rat set mildly as my main rhythm tone and then boosting it with my Baron. Did that for the last several gigs, and have received nothing but praise for my tone. Still, as much as I love this sound, it really isn't the "cranked AC30 sound"... which leads me to ...

... the Love Pedal 50. This is the sound.

At least, for now.

Really, I'm finding I've got tone for days between the Rat2, the Baron, and the 50. They all sound great by themselves and with each other. I love mixing the order up. The Rat and 50 together give this wicked Billy Gibbons sound. Even though not a huge fan of the Top, I found it essential to find "Waiting on the Bus" tab on Olga just so I could play it with this combo of pedals. [stops to play main riff. smiles. giggles.] The Baron into the Rat, with all settings maxed, freaks out so much it goes into this wicked super-fuzz sound and does some freaky octave up thing, which has prompted me to play Iron Butterfly songs all day.

Anyway, the Love Pedal by itself is the tone, though. Yeah, it's got it's limitations being only one dial, but it plays well with my other dirt boxes and with my guitar's volume and tone controls.

So, learn what you can from me and my search for the holy grail od for this amp. It might not exist, but I'm determined to find it... and may have.

(Next, I'll post a tome on why I have stayed away from attenuators.)

• Members

Like you suggested fuzzface71, i've been doing heaps of reading on the AC30RI. I'm very keen to be getting one and I'm pretty close to biting the bullet. I just wanted to a put a few things out there.

First off. Can someone please give a comparison (based on experience and not prejudice) between a SS rectifier and a Tube rectifier.

Also I'm looking at getting an American Tele with Single Coils. How is this going to go through the AC30RI, and which combination of rectifier and speaker would suit it best. I realise that pre and power tubes make a massive diff but i'm stretching for coin just to get the AC30RI. So i want to start be getting the rectifier and speaker choice right. In saying this I'll also be picking up an SG at some stage. But the Tele would be my main weapon.

Are there any other major things i should check out or ask about before picking up the chosen amp? Anything to watch for etc etc.

The other thing i was wonder about is what TCB and TBX denote. Is it just the type of speaker (blue/green) or are there other variations within each of those models??

Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers.

Ocean.

• Members

I recently picked up a BJF Honey Bee and for the last few weeks I've been absolutely blown away by this pedal. It's a hard pedal to describe, but basically it sounds like power tube overdrive from a vintage amp. Yeah that's a broad statement, but you have to hear it. It is sooooooo touch sensitive, and the tone control (called 'nature') is more like a harmonics/frequencey kinda dealy rather than a tone. Turned back it's wide open with everthing just kinda more, and a bit fuzzy (but in a so good way). Cranked up it's smoother and more compressed (very supro). I usually run it at 11:00. The gain amount is on the lower side, but it's so touch sensitive you can get growl out of it just by digging in. I use my DD SS now for leads on top of the HB. Both my voxes sounds completely weak without it now.

I can't describe the overall tone other than pure vintage tone. Thick and juicy, but with a clarity I've never heard before from a pedal. It's not cheap, but this pedal is instant pure tone goodness. It doesn't really compare to anything else I've heard (and i've heard a lot), it's it's own magic. I'm so blown away it, I can't stop playing, especially with my Ric 360. Ric-->HB-->ac 15 is probably one of the best tones I've ever had in my life.

Archived