OT: The Ultimate "Vox AC30 re-issue" Thread!!

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ok, I've always dreamed about owning a vox and I've always been weary of not getting the right re-issue. But I guess the general opinion is that the Korg based reissues of the AC30 and AC15 are damn nice and have a lot of room for fine tweaking in terms of speakers and tubes.

so anyway I opted to get a Peavey Classic 30 and I totally dig it.
my question is does the Peavey Classic 30 capture any of the Vox magic or is that more of a marshall sound.

• Members
Originally posted by Kestral

That looks like some piece of crap someone made out of the basement.

Oh wait, it is!
:D

Naaaw

Thats your gay AC15...

NOW GET OUT OUT OF THIS THREAD YOUR 15WATTS TOO SHORT TO BE HERE!

:mad::p:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Kid_A

Naaaw

Thats your gay AC15...

NOW GET OUT OUT OF THIS THREAD YOUR 15WATTS TOO SHORT TO BE HERE!

:mad::p:cool:

ahhhhh...but it's girth that counts..not length or hight...a toothpick is a toothpick regardless of length;)
Sorry, my deepest apology...I couldn't resist...:cool: Bb

• Members

Originally posted by frankn

ok, I've always dreamed about owning a vox and I've always been weary of not getting the right re-issue. But I guess the general opinion is that the Korg based reissues of the AC30 and AC15 are damn nice and have a lot of room for fine tweaking in terms of speakers and tubes.

so anyway I opted to get a Peavey AC30 and I totally dig it.

my question is does the Peavey AC30 capture any of the Vox magic or is that more of a marshall sound.

There's a peavey ac30? Do you mean the classic 30? IF so, no, that's more of a fender, maybe a bit of marshall sound.

• Members

I still like the superduper and the KoT with my AC30. The zvex is griitier, the KoT (especially the yellow channel) is very smooth. Awesome combos.

I just spent the last week in the studio and I was getting some super sick tones from both the 30 and the 15. Besides the kot and 2in1, i got a pants ripping fuzz tone from a fuzzfactory into a maestro fuzz. A 70's big muff sounded absolutely huge. I used a vintage rat as well, which worked pretty good, but I could see why it wouldn't cut in a live situation.

I just ordered a bjf honey bee, I hope it plays well with the voxen.

As a side bar, I gotta say, the ac15 tracked better than the 30. It was warmer and a bit more complex. The AC30HW has a bit more of a marshally feel to it (IMHO).

• Members

Originally posted by iwantpedals

There's a peavey ac30? Do you mean the classic 30? IF so, no, that's more of a fender, maybe a bit of marshall sound.

sorry you are right it's the Peavey Classic 30 .

• Members

sorry you are right it's the Peavey Classic 30 .

The Peavey Classic 30. Will not sound like an AC30. Though, if you make a search on the net. There are some modifications that you can do to make it very Vox-like. Changing speakers, caps, tubes etc..IMO..it's too much of a hassle doing that. Just get the real deal.

And yeah...it's a great amp on it's own. My old bandmate has one, and I've used it a cou[le of times. Very nice small Fender-like amp with a Vox feel.:)

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzface71

The Peavey Classic 30. Will not sound like an AC30. Though, if you make a search on the net. There are some modifications that you can do to make it very Vox-like. Changing speakers, caps, tubes etc..IMO..it's too much of a hassle doing that. Just get the real deal.

And yeah...it's a great amp on it's own. My old bandmate has one, and I've used it a cou[le of times. Very nice small Fender-like amp with a Vox feel.
:)

cool,

thanks for setting me striaght so I guess the question is
AC15 or AC30. Should I totally rule out the vintage?
whats the going rate on the AC15 or AC30 ?

• Members

cool,

thanks for setting me striaght so I guess the question is

AC15 or AC30. Should I totally rule out the vintage?

whats the going rate on the AC15 or AC30 ?

Only you can answer this question. All I can say is before you fork out your hard earned cash. DO A LOT OF RESEARCH.

Start of Here

• Members
Originally posted by valvedriventone

some of us here actually care more about tone:eek: than looks:eek:
:eek:
. In your case I guess you lose on both fronts:p

You care about tone, so you buy some no name pedal made by someone who's too ashamed to give his piece of crap pedal a name let alone put his own name on it instead of a proven pedal that's been around for almost 30 years?

What is this pedal? The current flavor of the month pedal? You'll be selling it in a month like all those Mr. Ed owners :p

:D :D :D

• Members

What is this pedal? The current flavor of the month pedal? You'll be selling it in a month like all those Mr. Ed owners
:p

Well, I doubt it....but if I did, I wouldn't show off how much I sold it for, only to look for another two days later :p [YES I'M TALKING ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS PHASE 90]:eek:

:D :D :D :D

• Members
Originally posted by valvedriventone

Well, I doubt it....but if I did, I wouldn't show off how much I sold it for, only to look for another two days later
:p
[YES I'M TALKING ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS PHASE 90]
:eek:

That's the difference between you and me. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong and correct my mistakes instead of covering it up by buying some Home Depot pedal :D :D :D

BTW, I made a profit off of selling the the first one and buying the second one. So KISS:

newphase90.jpg

• Members

That's the difference between you and me. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong and correct my mistakes instead of covering it up by buying some Home Depot pedal

BTW, I made a profit off of selling the the first one and buying the second one. So KISS:

newphase90.jpg

SMOOOOOOOOOOCH!!! :p

• Members

You know, I was at Red Robin with my family the other day, casually eating a hamburger (which was not very good). Suddenly, R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People" came over the intercom, and I thought, "Wait, that's the tone I've been looking for!"

I've always dismissed that particular era of REM as too popular -- but Buck's tone on that song -- saturated, almost trumpet-like -- is what I've been craving out of my AC30.

Can anyone comment on that tone and/or how Buck is getting it? It could quite possibly be just the amp cranked to complete saturation... which would be cool, but not in the small-club/tyrannical soundman world I gig in.

Archived