Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Members

I bit the bullet and sold my GSP for an Axe-FX. Yes, the Axe-FX burned a mile wide hole in my pocket even after selling the GSP...but it truly is a huge step up in quality.

I did the same, sold my GSP, and my Axe-FX is on its way to Mauritius. Quite an investment but I view it as the ultimate cure to my GAS. I'm a tweaker so I should be happy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I finally have my rig all wired up, long time coming and have a question regarding optimal set up internally.

Rundown.... GSP-1101, Axess GRX4(in gsp's loop), w/ ADA mp-1 and Mesa Studio Preamp in the GRX4's loop. More will be added later...but will still be running on same principal.

Before I could add the Mesa, I was running 1101 w/MP-1 (using #6 in wizard,ext preamp blah blah)....

Now that I am not using a preamp in the GSP's loop, and using the Axess in its its place(no longer 4 cable method), would my best setting as far as I/O setting be "Effects Loop" instead of previously using "INT/EXT Preamp" setting?

My other question would be, as far as wizard setting goes, which do you think would be best? ( Depending on venue, I will be mic'd or D.I as well)

Its seems the trend has been to start with Wizard #3...should I follow?

Many thanks in advance:thu:

• Members

Help.

I am running the GSP1101 into a mesa poweramp then into a 2x12 Genz Benz cab.
Last nite at rehearsal, it lost volume and the sound went really buzzy like when you have a flat battery in a distortion pedal.
I initially thought my tubes had gone bad in my poweramp, so I plugged the GSP1101 into my Crate Powerblock, it was okay for a minute and then went back to being buzzy and quiet again.
I have tested all my leads, they are fine.
I played the rest of the nite straight into the powerblock and into the 2x12 and that was fine so I know the 2x12 is okay also.
This brings me to the conclusion that the GSP1101 is the problem.
Has anyone ran into this issue before ?

Any ideas on what to try next ?

Please help!!

• Members

Hey, i just got my GSP1101 a couple days ago. I got it and restored it to factory settings and while it was restoring my hydro went out, i turned it back on and it said "No fast tables needs factory reset"
And when i push the edit/select knob nothing happens.Anyone know what too do?

• Members

Hey, i just got my GSP1101 a couple days ago. I got it and restored it to factory settings and while it was restoring my hydro went out, i turned it back on and it said "No fast tables needs factory reset"

And when i push the edit/select knob nothing happens.Anyone know what too do?

This happened to me a few weeks ago and someone here had the fix. You can search the thread for it but from what I remember you just hold the wizard button down while powering up.

That may be incorrect. Better off just finding the original post in here. It worked for me.

• Members

Is anyone using this as a preamp? Seems like most are using with an external pre. How do the pre's seem? I would be running into a Mesa 20/20 and into a 4x12 or 2x12. Opinions?

I use it all the time as a preamp right into the power section (effects return) of my combo. I have tried it with several combos and it worked great with all of them. With my lower-end amps, the GSP sounded better than the combos' own tube preamps. I'm currently using it with a Vox AC30CC which uses an EL84 power section just like the Mesa 20/20 and I find it sounds great. I've become an EL84 convert over the last little while. Personally, the only way I can get a better tone is to run my guitar straight into the AC30 with no effects. Even then, the difference is minimal and certainly insignificant when playing with a band. What you gain in flexibility and programmability far outweighs any tonal loss when playing live (and, again, the tonal loss is very minor). The major advantage of using this as a preamp is that you can fully control preamp gain, EQ, and output volume and store that. That alone is worth its weight on gold and is mostly how I get all my sounds. I rarely even use the distortion models. However, even they sound excellent and they react with the virtual preamps just as you would expect them to with a real tube preamp. I've been nothing but impressed by the quality of sound from the GSP in terms of preamp and stomp modeling. Running it into a tube power amp is a must, though, IMO. Also, read through this thread for small hints for getting the right setup as a preamp. There are some options that need to be set that aren't always default - without them things don't sound quite right.

That being said, there are some stability issues with the system when editing patches, there will be volume inconsistencies and possible reboots. A couple of people have reported the system has simply stopped producing sound when playing live. I have not had this problem, however, so it might be localized. Still, something to consider. I recommend going to the Digitech forums and reading through some of the threads in the GSP 1101 section. There is supposedly a firmware update scheduled for the fall.

Personally, I find it's a fantastic tool that has replaced my pedal board. I play covers so I have one patch per song, I can easily tweak my sound while practicing with the band, and I can easily re-arrange the setlist beforehand on the PC in a matter of minutes. It's pretty straight-forward device and a great live tool, IMO.

• Members

Hey I just learned about a couple of cool things you can do on the 1101. 1st, if you hold down the select knob while in the main screen it goes to a quick edit screen.

You have to start on the performance (preset) screen, hold down the select knob for about 2 seconds. You will see a name for all the effects, etc. and the knob will move between them. Pressing the knob quickly will turn on/off the effect and holding the knob down will enter the effect's edit pages. Pressing "back" will move you backwards.

2nd, no matter what screen you are in you can hold the back button for 2 or so seconds and be taken back to the main screen. Some good time saving tips for using editing without the use of X-Edit.

On another note the firmware update is under way. It is slow moving however, but it is moving!

• Members

oddjobpeters,
Thanks so much for that description! It is really what I was looking for. I've been haunting this thread since page 2. I'm on the fence with the whole thing. Guess I just need to jump in. I've had a few Digitech toys that I have liked but Line6 stuff just turns me off (mm,dd,fm,pod,verbzilla) so the "modeling world" has scared me away. But Just having "Lexicon" in there turns me on (I'm a reverb junkie!).

• Members

oddjobpeters,

Thanks so much for that description! It is really what I was looking for. I've been haunting this thread since page 2. I'm on the fence with the whole thing. Guess I just need to jump in. I've had a few Digitech toys that I have liked but Line6 stuff just turns me off (mm,dd,fm,pod,verbzilla) so the "modeling world" has scared me away. But Just having "Lexicon" in there turns me on (I'm a reverb junkie!).

my pleasure. I had a Verbzilla and used a POD for a while. As you, I couldn't keep digital stuff in my setup as I was never satisfied. The GSP is in another league altogether. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it. Enjoy!

• Members

Is anyone using this as a preamp? Seems like most are using with an external pre. How do the pre's seem? I would be running into a Mesa 20/20 and into a 4x12 or 2x12. Opinions?

I am using mine with a mesa 20/20 poweramp into a Genz Benz 2x12 cab,

and am very happy with the sounds I am getting.

I had a few issues with the 1/4" outputs so I have started using the XLR outputs into my 20/20 now and am much happier with the sound.

I just had to turn all the cabinet sims off.

• Members

Like milkbonemav and oddjobpeters, I've never been completely satisfied with the modeling thing:bor:, although I've used it a lot live and in studio.

Anyway, the GSP1101 is completely different from all I've had in the past: Digitech 2120, VG88, GT6, GT8, POD 2.0 (which still have and I think it's not bad for the money), POD XT Live... No one of those things sounded good with any of the amps I had, but the GSP does.

I used to connect it in front of the amp, as I said in other post in this same thread some time ago, to have use of the eq and reverb of my Koch Studiotone. But since I tried straight into the return of the two amps loops in stereo (yes, I love that much the Studiotone, so I have two!), I'm more happy, almost completely happy (still can't find good high gain tones, like Recto or Soldano, but doesn't worry me because I play mostly rock, blues, and pop).

Just waiting for the Control 2 to arrive in my mail!:)

• Members

I am using mine with a mesa 20/20 poweramp into a Genz Benz 2x12 cab,

and am very happy with the sounds I am getting.

I had a few issues with the 1/4" outputs so I have started using the XLR outputs into my 20/20 now and am much happier with the sound.

I just had to turn all the cabinet sims off.

I had read that the cab sims were ehhh. I thought about it and I have an ADA Microcab II that I can run inline if I want to go direct. The beauty of it the version II microcab is you can run it before or AFTER the power amp. Very cool!! That would be a nice addition (if it isn't available) to the GSP is to have an amp out and a direct out to where you could put the cab sim on/off the direct and turn it on/off for the amp out. Never reserarched it.

• Members

I had read that the cab sims were ehhh. I thought about it and I have an ADA Microcab II that I can run inline if I want to go direct. The beauty of it the version II microcab is you can run it before or AFTER the power amp. Very cool!! That would be a nice addition (if it isn't available) to the GSP is to have an amp out and a direct out to where you could put the cab sim on/off the direct and turn it on/off for the amp out. Never reserarched it.

you can do exactly that with the GSP.

• Members

That clipping that you thought was at the board inputs was likely at the loop return of the GSP1101. I had this too. Remember there are A/D converters there and those klip and when they do it's obvious. A Mackie mic pre might even sound OK when punished. I had the same issue from my tube buffer. Solution; turn down preamp's output. Preamps can spit out mucho gain ;even cathode followers.

Another thing: I've Keeley modded my DS-1 which sounded "bad" looped in. I figured it needed repair as is was quite lame. Yesterday I plugged in front of my Ampeg VL-504; clean and dirty channels sounded amazing with the pedal.

I'm thinking that a stereo tube amp is next on the shopping list. A good deal is up now at Rivera, albeit these of HUGE but very well engineered.
http://www.rivera.com/specials.php PA amp any one?

You want to hear the glory of what may be in these 1101s? I enjoy it through good headphones. But, plug it into a tube amp; even consider using full frequency speakers, whatever you got laying around. Then try some CDs ... then compare that with a trip to a tube hi-fi store. Few people are really hearing music properly since about 1980 when audio gear went cheap, light and anemic.

The update list:

1) The tuner doesn't always work when using various loops. That sucks.
2) Reverse the 1/4 controller jack so it can close or open a stereo 1/4 cable thus switching amp channels.
3) Improve XEdit for Mac; it is very barebones, whereas on Windows it rocks!
4) Two simultaneous delays would be top-drawer. If we aren't using processor #1 for stomp boxes etc, then move the processing power to enable this.
5) Be able to use the GSP as remote, hardware effects unit (digitally) as a DAW plugin. It sounds better than GR3, right? Yes it does. If Zoom has figured this out, Digitech sure can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Help.

I am running the GSP1101 into a mesa poweramp then into a 2x12 Genz Benz cab.

Last nite at rehearsal, it lost volume and the sound went really buzzy like when you have a flat battery in a distortion pedal.

I initially thought my tubes had gone bad in my poweramp, so I plugged the GSP1101 into my Crate Powerblock, it was okay for a minute and then went back to being buzzy and quiet again.

I have tested all my leads, they are fine.

I played the rest of the nite straight into the powerblock and into the 2x12 and that was fine so I know the 2x12 is okay also.

This brings me to the conclusion that the GSP1101 is the problem.

Has anyone ran into this issue before ?

Any ideas on what to try next ?

Please help!!

Did you find a fix for this Sir Riff?...

I too at a rehearsal this week had the same problem...and a show 4hrs away to go play at the end of next week,...fantastic timing.

I also find the volume issue at the headphones too while practicing with computer...maybe they are somehow related?

• Members

Did you find a fix for this Sir Riff?...

I too at a rehearsal this week had the same problem...and a show 4hrs away to go play at the end of next week,...fantastic timing.

I also find the volume issue at the headphones too while practicing with computer...maybe they are somehow related?

I got some xlr to jack leads , and am now running out of the xlr outputs and into my poweramp.

it has solved the volume and buzzing issue,

but now after the unit has been running for a while it makes that fizzing noise when you stop playing,

like when you strum a chord and then mute it real quickly it kind of fizzes out.

I dont have a warranty as I bought my unit from USA and I am in Australia and the price of gear in OZ is rediculus, so I may have to pay to get it fixed.

so in short, I didnt fix the problem but I made it bearable until I can get it fixed.

sir riff:rawk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am looking to pick this up as mainly an effects processor...but i like that it could hae options down the road for me...would you all reccomend this unit in comparrison to lets say a Rocktron Xpression if it use was just for multi effects and not amp modeling or anything like that.

I play out of a Framus Dragon Head and Cab. I am in a hard rock/metal band and when i use my amps distortion along with a Fulltone Mosfet II i already have exactly want i want as far as a base sound. I have stomp boxes already too, but i still want more virsitility with my effects...

What do you all think???

• Members

I use the Gsp1101 with a full stack and an RG16 switching unit; four cable method with a few pedals all in a rack and its awesome. I use the Control 2 Digitech pedal board too.

I recommend it, I trhink the effects are pretty close too, some of the models they copy, slightly different tweaking but the same sounds are obtainable as MXR phaser, flanger, Maxon od etc

:thu:

Archived