Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Like having the chorus/effect only effect the right channel for example. Or do you mean a complete pan for the entire mix. I have been wanting to be able to pan the volume, maybe these are two seperate issues.

I mean both.
To be able to pan anything specified within the stereo field.

For your first example, think Van Halen's version of "you really got me". There you have everything on one side, except the reverb, which is on the opposing side. There was an amazing approximation of this on the 2112 / 2120.

Your second example, could be used with a cc controller to send volume Left / Right. Very cool :eek:, but NOT too much to ask I think.
Surely DigiTech can get more programmability out of the GSP.

The 2112/2120 would beat the 1101 hands down, if it weren't for the 24bit sound quality on the 1101.

• Members
Your second example, could be used with a cc controller to send volume Left / Right. Very cool
:eek:
, but NOT too much to ask I think.

I am using the SynthTalk panner to pan for the intro on one of my songs. For most of my stuff I wouldn't want the SynthTalk on (I have the effect as minimal as I can get it), but it works for this particular part. I will add both of the "Pan" ideas to the list.

• Members
Ok, I get it. Now, the pong delay is evenly spaced, like normal delay except that the delay alternates. The % parameter allows the delays to be unevenly spaced. Sounds cool.

yes, you summed it right, my explanation would have been shorter if english was my native tongue ;)

Boss and POD multieffects have diverse microphone options, let's hope Digitech will consider this

• Members

GSP1101 Delays: DigiTech -Please HELP :poke:

I'm getting by using the stereo delay on the GSP, but I always used to "stack" delays on the 2120, I would frequently use 2 delays set at different times for a massive sound. And I REALLY miss that. :mad:

I stated earlier that on the GSP we are unable to add more than one effect of the same kind to a patch. A glaring omission really, and I hope / pray that this gets resolved soon. I'ts a great unit but theres more to be done !

• Members
Ok, I get it. Now, the pong delay is evenly spaced, like normal delay except that the delay alternates. The % parameter allows the delays to be unevenly spaced. Sounds cool.

The 2120 did this % thing and I used it a lot. It was possible 10 years ago!
I know I keep banging on about it, but why does the GSP1101 not have these parameters?

Moreover, I mentioned stacked delays also, this should be possible, but isn't.

Now heres an idea, Digitech & Lexicon are both owned by the same company right? Well, the GSP uses some Lexicon reverbs, so would it be possible to incorporate some classic Lexicon DELAY patches ? For example, Steve Lukather uses 2 stock patches from his Lexicon PCM70's which are stacked together. One is called PAN DLYS and the other is CIRCULAR DLYS. Used together, this is an awesome delay sound for soloing. It would be nice to have the ability to stack delays like that. :)

• Members
I submitted my list. Some of the items have already been addressed and the others will be considered. Sounds like it will be sometime in the fall. Perhaps late fall as we are short on programmers...

Great, thanks, we will wait patiently.
I can only imagine how complicated and time consuming it can be adding stuff to a product without upsetting the existing algorythms, and causing more bugs. Nevertheless, by design the GSP can evolve over time :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I hope i can finally start to use my GSP with the randall RM4 in the loop , now it's completely useless , squeeling like hell , it's not there when I play , only kicks in right after there's no input signal from my guitar :rolleyes: , setup is correct , internal preamp is off ...

I also noticed that switching to another xlr output (and I don't even use this) makes the squeeling less :rolleyes:

Anyone any ideas ?

For now my xpression wins, but I'd like to have a wah so putting the RM4 in the loop of the GSP would be the way to go , it was supposed to do this ...

I hope it's all noise gate related , cleans and less gain and it's gone , but we don't want less gain ;-)

Raf

• Members

As much as I love this unit I can't deal with the loop noise anymore. I'm having to sell my Mesa Studio preamp now because it's just too noisy.

Anyone try this thing with a rectifier? I'm looking to sell my poweramp and run it with that.

• Members
As much as I love this unit I can't deal with the loop noise anymore. I'm having to sell my Mesa Studio preamp now because it's just too noisy.

Guys, the solution to this noise problem is an isolation transformer. There's a nice picture of one in post #723. The problem is Ground Loop. Unfortunately, the GSP1101 doesn't play nice with many other preamps - external preamps in the GSP's loop. And the built-in ground lift switch has no effect at all. Is it even wired?

3 out of 4 preamps I own sounded like {censored} through the GSP's loop. I, like you, was ready to give up on my beloved Mesa Studio pre until I found the solution. If you look way back in this thread, I had the same problems and reported them here. You can try some of the other suggestions discussed earlier, clipping wires and such - never tried them, but they appear to work for some folks. I simply picked up an Ebtech Hum Eliminator off of eGay for $35, put it in the loop with the preamp, and voila! No more hum, no more high pitched squealing/whistling, no more garbage. The Ebtech unit does not appear to affect the tone negatively. Now I can run any of the preamps through the loop of the GSP. Bittersweet victory.

What I am truly NOT happy about, is that I even had to go through this process, buy an additional device to solve the problem, when Digitech's biggest claim in advertising the GSP, is that it doesn't mess with your tone. I guess Digitech didn't test too many other preamps with the GSP to back up their claims, because those claims are obviously not quite accurate. This is proven by the large number of users on this board, and many others (including Digitech's own forums), who have had the same problem.

While I'm not here to bash Digitech, I think this is a pretty significant failure on their part. And I would like to see Digitech step up to the plate, take some responsibility, and at least acknowledge that there is a significant flaw in the design of the unit. Better yet, work on a native cure for the problem, and offer free fixes. As easy as it is to patch the Ebtech in the loop, the bottom line is that, I shouldn't have to! I already have enough cords to patch.

Now that I have it working the way it was advertised to work (but not without help), I am happy with the unit. Other bugs exist, and other flaws exist in the design - no new product like this is perfect. But I understand they are working on the other primary flaw for a future firmware release. And that is the noise gate. Works OK with the internal modeled preamps, absolutely blows donkey balls when using an external preamp. I'd rather not wait until the fall for this fix either. I bought the GSP1101 to replace my old GSP2101, but I'll keep the 2101 around a little longer - I can run the same preamps through that 13 year old beast with no Ebtech, and with no hum. And I can't believe I even contemplated selling my Boogie to overcome a flaw in the GSP1101. Doh!

Are you listening Digitech? A lot of users need you to back this product.

end rant. :thu:

• Members
Guys, the solution to this noise problem is an isolation transformer. There's a nice picture of one in
post #723
. The problem is Ground Loop. Unfortunately, the GSP1101 doesn't play nice with many other preamps - external preamps in the GSP's loop. And the built-in ground lift switch has no effect at all. Is it even wired?

3 out of 4 preamps I own sounded like {censored} through the GSP's loop. I, like you, was ready to give up on my beloved Mesa Studio pre until I found the solution. If you look way back in this thread, I had the same problems and reported them here. You can try some of the other suggestions discussed earlier, clipping wires and such - never tried them, but they appear to work for some folks. I simply picked up an Ebtech Hum Eliminator off of eGay for $35, put it in the loop with the preamp, and voila! No more hum, no more high pitched squealing/whistling, no more garbage. The Ebtech unit does not appear to affect the tone negatively. Now I can run any of the preamps through the loop of the GSP. Bittersweet victory.

What I am truly NOT happy about, is that I even had to go through this process, buy an additional device to solve the problem, when Digitech's biggest claim in advertising the GSP, is that it doesn't mess with your tone. I guess Digitech didn't test too many other preamps with the GSP to back up their claims, because those claims are obviously not quite accurate. This is proven by the large number of users on this board, and many others (including Digitech's own forums), who have had the same problem.

While I'm not here to bash Digitech, I think this is a pretty significant failure on their part. And I would like to see Digitech step up to the plate, take some responsibility, and at least acknowledge that there is a significant flaw in the design of the unit. Better yet, work on a native cure for the problem, and offer free fixes. As easy as it is to patch the Ebtech in the loop, the bottom line is that, I shouldn't have to! I already have enough cords to patch.

Now that I have it working the way it was advertised to work (but not without help), I am happy with the unit. Other bugs exist, and other flaws exist in the design - no new product like this is perfect. But I understand they are working on the other primary flaw for a future firmware release. And that is the noise gate. Works OK with the internal modeled preamps, absolutely blows donkey balls when using an external preamp. I'd rather not wait until the fall for this fix either. I bought the GSP1101 to replace my old GSP2101, but I'll keep the 2101 around a little longer - I can run the same preamps through that 13 year old beast with no Ebtech, and with no hum. And I can't believe I even contemplated selling my Boogie to overcome a flaw in the GSP1101. Doh!

Are you listening Digitech? A lot of users need you to back this product.

end rant.
:thu:

you think it's hardware related or software ?

Raf

• Members

Thanks for all your comments when I was trying to decide whether to get the GSP 1101.

I got it, and it has been a long time since I was this pleased with a piece of gear. I am a

studio musician, I write a couple of dozen songs a year, and this does everything I had

hoped it would.

Here is the first song I used it for..right out of the box, "Blue Jazz" :

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1826.0;attach=1765

Wyatt

• Members

Time to give up on the GSP I guess ... if it would do like the ads tell it would be amazing ...

Raf

Likely a hardware issue. Therefore a little more difficult for Digitech to address, and/or take responsibility for. But they should.

• Members

I uploaded 47 patches and two bundles, get them here :

http://pages.intnet.mu/fremen/Patches/Fremen_GSP.rar

These are the sounds I use straight to the mixing desk (wizard 3) with my cover band, when I don't bring my amplifier. I prefer playing with my amp (4 cables method, wizard 7), the drive has more meat and is more dynamic.

You'll see that I use lot of compression, I like this kind of big attack, it works well with my cover band. Nothing revolutionary effects wise here, its just a big collection of cleans/crunchs/leads. I also programmed control changes to activate/desactivate/modify some effects in real time (with a Roland FC 200 + FV5 expression pedal ; I reassigned the CC numbers in the GSP)
In the two bundles, you'll find the patches I use with my tube amp (wizard 7), and in one of them, also the 47 patches in the .gsp1101p format

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well,last night got my feet wet with the 1101 for the first time, and also this was my first time going direct as well,..call me a stickler.:)

I have my GSP-1101 hooked up using the 4 cable method(like manual) and using Wizard 6/7... GSP-1101 to External preamp (ADA MP-1) back to GSP and out to a Peavey 50/50 Classic,to Marshall 4x12.

When going out to my cabinet,.it works perfectly and as intended.

At the gig last night I ran it the same way, but running one XLR (left/mono)out to the sound board. It sounded great through p.a and I still had my usual sound coming out of my Marshall on-stage which was great for us. I thought all would be well and good...until I found people saying after show that my solo' were clipping at times. The p.a setup was total pro, concert setup actually so I doubt it was the problem.

As far as my lead channel goes, its pretty modest in boost, mids take care of the needed volume..and not once has clipping occured during rehearsal so I suspect it must be in the way I have my XLR out levels set when running direct?(see pg#44 in manual) Should I be adjusting something there?

Like I said before, last night was my virgin experience as far as running direct. It was so dis-heartening to hear that afterwards. Any pointers would be very appreciated!

I appologise if my rambling makes things confusing,lol:freak:

• Members

Thanks again,...I'll try running the xlr's out (-10dbv) this week through our small p.a.

I assumed at the gig it was going to be a mic'd set up, so I did very little homework as far as running the GSP(w/ext preamp) direct so I was in a bit of a scramble last minute at soundcheck to hopefully get things where they would be optimal.

I've got about 4 weeks till next gig,so hopefully I get this thing sounding like butter, and to add more confusion, my Axess GRX4 is on a ups truck between here and Toronto so I'll be finally adding my Mesa Studio pre as my dedicated "solo" tone....god help me.:blah:

• Members

I haven't been in here in a while so I figured I would chime in on my recent experience.

I bit the bullet and sold my GSP for an Axe-FX. I didn't want to believe that a unit that cost $1700 was that much better than the $400 Digitech. But as I thought, this wasn't the case.

It's ridiculously better.

All I can say is that there's no comparison between this unit and the GSP. Not only is it ten times more tweakable than the GSP, the sound quality is also on another level entirely.

Yes, the Axe-FX burned a mile wide hole in my pocket even after selling the GSP...but it truly is a huge step up in quality. Let me say this however...

If you don't want to spend the cash on an Axe-FX, I'm confident the GSP is the next best thing. Sure, the Axe-FX kills every modeler out there, but the GSP is the only one I tried that actually comes sort of close the the quality of this unit.

If a massive amount of tweakability and a marginal difference in sound quality are things you can live without, don't bother. $1700 is a lot of money. IMHO, is was worth every penny and then some, but many of you here would disagree.

Archived