Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Members

Do you think it would work well with the Voodoo Lab MIDI switcher and ground controll pro.

Also, i turn to gain down on my amp slightly but use the Fulltone overdrive on top of it to get a great heavy sound with great sustain...do you think the models of the Maxon od on top of my amps distortion would still sound great?

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I think you can definately get something you will like but you may prefer your pedal, that is only something you will know when you hear it.
Myself I prefer my Maxon pedal than the Od in the unit, but that is me.

The ground control pro should work fine with it, but never used one myself so dont take my word on that. Ask Digitech tech support, they were very helpful with me.

The Phasers Flangers etc freaked me out to be honest, I had been using the built in ones and then I got the Rg16 switcher and plugged in my MXR Script phase and EVH Flanger and the settings I had set in the GSP1101 sounded bang on the same as the pedal settings I like.

:thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I guess this preamp never caught on like Digitech hoped.. Does anyone still own one?? And what are your thoughts on it now?

I still have mine, use everyday in gigs into the loop return of a small class A amp, and I think it's a step forward regarding other digital devices (I've owned 2120, GT6, GT8, VG88, POD 2.0 and POD XT Live). It respects the tone of my amp and it's the first time I can say this from a digital-multifx preamp. But I like so much it's amp simulations that I've ended using them instead of the preamp of my Koch Studiotone, which is a great amp.

• Members

I wasn't at all trying to disparage anyone's GSP1101.

I'm considering one but would use it primarily as a studio DI tool. So Amp Sims would be important to me.

Reviews I've found seem to be older and not overly plentiful.. That coupled with limited discussion here lately about the unit and even on Digitech's site led me to believe maybe this unit wasn't selling very well...

Again, not trying to put anyone's gear down.. I haven't been able to find one locally so info I find on the net is all I have to go by..

• Members

I haven't recorded with it yet, but I've tried it with my studio monitors and without tweaking, just using factory presets, it sounded very good to my ears. Better sound and dynamics than the other modelers I've had in the past.

It's true that there isn't much hype about this unit, but you won't see many of them second hand, and that means something...:cool:

• Members

It seems like all threads like this die off eventually. Everyone gets what they were looking for and we're all too busy playing to post! The 1101's amp sims are some of the best. From what I hear the Axe-FX is #1 but the 1101 comes close and is much better for the price. Like any multiFX there is a learning curve and patience to dial it in... good luck!

• Members

IMO, the 1101 excels in live use, especially with its dedicated controller and ease of live tweaking. It sounds great when used with a power amp and speakers, or in front of a regular amp. For direct recording, I think it's good, but the Axe-Fx clips I've heard sound better. I currently run it into the front of an AC15 and am very satisfied with it, especially live.

• Members

Well, I found one for what I think is a reasonable price.. It isn't here yet. If I like it I'll spring for a Control 2 as well..

I've been using and trying to replace a V Amp Pro for years now.. I always end up going back to it.. I still have a Pod Pro2.0, Voodu Valve & a mounted J Station in my rack.. Sold the Prophesy II & Pod XT Pro & 2101..

I'm hearing rumors of an upgrade with new Amps on the horizon?

• Members

I'm hearing rumors of an upgrade with new Amps on the horizon?

Yes more amps and effects are "coming soon" to a firmware upgrade near you. There are some other cool things being done as well, such as delay tempo in bpm instead of ms and a bunch of other little things like that that will make people happy...

• Members

When is the fireware update released?

Unknown at the moment. X-Edit needs to be updated to match the new firmware. (the version on my unit is the latest but I can't use X-Edit and that means no editing with X-Edit and more importantly no patch imports! In case you forgot, updating deletes your user patches) I think I will be going back to an older version so I can get my patches back until X-Edit is updated...

• Members

I've been looking to get one to replace my Digitech ValveFX.
Anybody want to answer a couple questions?
I haven't found one to demo, so......

The ValveFX has a 1.5second sampler, is there any function or delay in the 1101 similiar?

The ValveFX also has an arpeggiator which I've programmed to sound pretty close to a keyboard, anything like that in the 1101?

Sorry if these are stupid, I downloaded the manual but couldn't find these answers. My ValveFX is an extemely verstile unit with more programming options than most people would ever need, I'd like to upgrade to the 1101 for better sounding distortions and wah, if these sounded better in the valveFX I'd keep it forever.
Thanks again.

• Members
Unknown at the moment. X-Edit needs to be updated to match the new firmware. (the version on my unit is the latest but I can't use X-Edit and that means no editing with X-Edit and more importantly no patch imports! In case you forgot, updating deletes your user patches) I think I will be going back to an older version so I can get my patches back until X-Edit is updated...

Thanks for the latest news. Can't wait for the new firmware.
:thu:

• Members

The ValveFX has a 1.5second sampler, is there any function or delay in the 1101 similiar?

The ValveFX also has an arpeggiator which I've programmed to sound pretty close to a keyboard, anything like that in the 1101?

No and no, sorry. It's a very simple preamp and multifx modeler that sounds incredibly good but it is what it is.

• Members

No and no, sorry. It's a very simple preamp and multifx modeler that sounds incredibly good but it is what it is.

drewl - Why don't you use both? Use the 1101 as your pre-amp and the ValveFX in the FX loop. You'd only increase your versatility. You could have more than one effect on at a time which would be cool. You would have the good amp tones from the 1101and the effects you like form your valveFX. Or you could do what I do with my 2 1101's and run them in parallel to get a really thick sound. The midi send from the 1101 can be used for channel changes (with control 2) on both units simultaneously. I imagine that with a midi foot controller you could customize it even more...

• Members

Axeslinger : the GSP is a good unit for its price, with some weak points. Its weakest point, imho, being the cab sims. To my ears, they sound like they are made of plastic, not wood. With my tube amp, 4CM, it still sounds good, I'm using a cab sim in the XLR out and no need to mike my amp then. Going direct without my amp, I'm much less enthusiastic, and on a couple of gigs I had to use a POD X3 Live instead, which has much more realistic cab sims (imho again). I made impulses out of the GSP speaker sims, and compared them to impulses from the X3 cab sims (using VSTs like Revalver, Wagner etc) and the difference is big.

If you use the straight to PA wizard configuration, there's also some kind of speaker sim filtering always on, even when the cab sims are off, so it's impossible to have the pure clean sound of your electroacoustic/piezo should you want it. For ultraclean sounds with an electric, you have to compensate with the EQ but it's not the same.

Note that I'm a metal guy playing in a pop-rock cover band, so although at home I listen to bands like Dream Theater, I play all sort of things. I'm trading my GSP and my tube combo for an Axe-FX ultra, can't wait to receive it :p

• Members

Anyone have any tracks they've done with the 1101?

Or how about any decent user forums??

Here you have the Digitech GSP1101 forum:

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_list_messages.asp?productid=235

Keep in mind that peope write here mostly complains about the unit, but that doesn't mean it's that bad, that just means it's the place to keep Digitech informed about bugs, desired updates, etc.

• Members

The Digitech forum is pretty bad imo :(

Mine showed up today.. This isn't a bad sounding unit.. This doesn't sound like every other Digitech I've tried from all the GNX1-4s to the GNX3K to the RP350 which this unit is apparently related to.. This unit sounds cleaner. It's not as digital or sterile sounding.. I have to admit, I'm impressed,, I didn't really expect to be..

The reverbs are pretty bad tho:facepalm:

• Members

Glad you like it, Axeslinger! I think also that it has nothing to do with anything Digitech have done in the past (I owned 2120 and RP7).

Reverbs are (supposedly) from Lexicon, although I just use a little touch of it, so I can't complain or comment on that.

The GSP forum is not very good, you're right, but I think that's for two reasons: there's not a lot of people who own this unit, and Digitech Support ignores COMPLETELY that forum or any question about the GSP.:mad:

Archived