Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey guys i'm between the gsp1101 and the g-major 2...i dont care much for amp sims as i like my amps sound...which unit has better quality effects and has more flexibility? thx

No idea about the G-major 2, but the 1101 excels at fitting into your rig without changing your tone. Tons of options for routing. As far as effects they are high quality but maybe not as configurable as the Boss stuf for example. You should check out mustbebeta.com for a user tested beta version update with tons of added configurability. Good luck

• Members

So I dont really want to sift through the whole thread, but I have a simple question.

If I'm running the GSP into the FX loop of my Orange Rockerverb 50, will it hav e the noise issue that I keep see popping up?

We really need more info. What are you talking about? What noise issue do you keep see popping up? details!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Actually, I think that I figured out how to load them, but can anyone confirm that these models are compatable (or not) with the GSP1101?

Thanks!

I emailed them today. Greg from MFX responded within an hour. I'll do my best to outline. More was about my own rig. I asked him other things for my GSP. He was realy helpful and knew his {censored}. Stuff about the RP's and GSP. I even asked about the Axe- FX and the new Eleven Rack processor. They were up on it! Damn! :cool: Even gave links to the site descriptions of {censored} they don't use or carry. I could have googled them, but he did it for me. :thu:

My GSP general Q's are in bold:

Is MFX-3K or other files work with GSP1101?

No, and don't attempt it or you may cause damage to your firmware or hardware.

Why the delay for MFX kit for the GSP1101? Digitech a problem? Others?

No, we don't think we'll be doing anything like the amp libraries we made for Workstations. We may soon promote a DVD training guide with files created for use.

Original delay from firmware revisions. Once Digitech settled on an official fw build and all bugs eliminated, would we have proceeded. Current revision is in beta C48 which you may already have observed. Very stable from our perspective

Digitech would have not have had a problem since this product promotes increased Digitech sales. We also share many format ideas with factory in-house and local Dig rep's.

We receive support calls and emails from a Digitech user asking about our products. We ask if their editor works. They say no. We become support of Digitech, Win XP, Vista etc, the person's Daw, and whatever audio interface used. We help find drivers, other files to support that hardware. We hope our service aids sales. Just doesn't always end up that way. Sometimes a Digitech product or MFX product isn't what they need. Support is at times CODB (cost of doing business).

Piracy is becoming more of a considerable problem with any such software builds. Another concern not to promote the GSP1101 or RP Series. Considerations beyond our control has brought considerable pause, sorry to say.

I hope that answers your questions. Good luck with the gigs! Let me know if that custom mapping of your rig works out.

Greg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's pretty cool how they help out. I think its bad they won't do any GSP releases with concerns of stealing their work. :mad:

I bought the GNX3 disc long while ago. 3 years maybe. MFX kit they made turned that from a fizzy fuzz dog to a really cool board and a lot of choices for amps and cabs. They even helped me convert for my target amp source. Not something they had to do, but they did. I'll pick up the DVD when it comes out. I hope they reconsider the GSP for the amp x-pansion. If not, I'll be bummin! :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

How do you guys put up with only one modulation effect at a time? I often use chorus and detuning effects combined together to add some more space to the sound. Is that possible with the digitech 1101?

Well, yes and no. Not with the GSP alone. Obviously, with midi capabilities you can patch in another effects unit and the loop on the GSP can be set to pre or post of the preamp section, so you can use the additional outboard effect unit to put a delay before the preamp, a reverb after, etc. Like yourself, I like to have a detune, a small phasing effect, etc in addition to chorus and such at the same time. Would have been nice if they had integrated two modulation blocks.

• Members

mmm, not a good news.

Actually, I was checking out the 1101 today. I was amazed by fx, such us reverb, delay and phaser, and the octaver too, so wonderful. Too bad, I couldn't find any detuning or the sound I think should be called detuning. The shop assistant couldn't help either.

Most of the hi gain distortions weren't very nice. I found stock hi-gain preserts a bit tasteless, though crunch tones were nearly as good as in my Yamaha DG-1000, but probably not better.

I can't commect objectively because the amp I was using was the return in a Peavey Bandit 112. That return mode was dull as itself, no presense and things like that, while I usually play into my Marshall 9005 4u rack poweramp and a marshall 212 cabinet.

Fuzz tones were really amuzing with their gate effect like a broken radio that splits the sound into parts.

• Members

It does have detuning. It's just that you cant run it at the same time as the chorus (or phaser, etc). It uses the same effects block.

The high gain distortions are pretty good. Are you sure that it was using the proper setup? The GSP has defaults depending on how your rig is configured. It may not have been set to know it was being run into the return of a combo amp. That can have a huge impact on the tone. Also, you sometimes need to mess with it to get the best tone (ie. select return of a british stack even though you are in the return of an american combo). Also, there is a global eq. With my Carvin Legacy, I have to boost some of the high end because the Carvin is a dark amp. If I recall, the Bandit can be a bit dark as well.

Also, there is a beta upgrade (48) available for the GSP. This fixes an issue with the noise gate being in the wrong place in the effects chain. That would take care of that problem. The beta also adds the amp models and effects found in the RP1000 (well, except for the looper) that weren't on the GSP (like the Carvin Legacy model, etc).

• Members

I understand, unfortunatelly I can't take the preamp for a full test-drive. The shop man suggested phones and I think it could be a nice idea had I known how to set speakersims. They promised first they could give me an opportunity to run it into a tube amp. But today they told me the mesa/boogie 2:90 was out of order and they were going to send it to a tech according to the warranty terms. So I was not quite satisfied by the set up they provided me with.

• Members

Ok, can you tell me how useful a Control 2 could be. They offered to me one without a Controller for $500 and one with a controller 2 for $800. Both are stock new. For comparison, in a store these preamps sell for $750 and $300 at least are control 2 boards.

And one more question, is that possiblle to integrate the 1101 with a Rocktron Xpression via midi or other digital cables to exclude any analog/digital conversions?

Thanks.

• Members

Well, other midi controllers will work but the awesome thing with the Control 2 is that it's plug and play, it displays the patch name on the controller, displays the tuner on the controller, features one pedal controller and allows you to plug in a second and is powered by the single cat5 cable. It can be run to select 5 patches and turn on/off the effects blocks or select 10 patches. It has a control button that can be assigned to boost or turn modify one of the effects, etc.

As for the Rocktron, yes, you can integrate it via midi but you will still have to run standard analog patch cords between the two units so you're going to introduce an additional analog to digital conversion.

As for your price, that is a pretty standard price. They aren't really throwing you a special deal. You can get both for that price on musicians friend plus you could probably use one of their special deal coupons (I think they have 10 or 20 percent going right now) so you could get it for less.

Just make sure when you get one that you don't get one of the earlier ones off the assembly line that had the tick tick tick problem until the unit warmed up after about 5 minutes.

• Members

Just make sure when you get one that you don't get one of the earlier ones off the assembly line that had the tick tick tick problem until the unit warmed up after about 5 minutes.

Oh that's precious info. Many thanks. I must find out some more about this bug.

And one more, both devices came from USA, so they run on 110V. As long as I know a lot of digitech preamps, they can be easily swicthed to 220V power supply. But I'm not sure about the 1101 model. Can you pour some light on it too?

• Members

No switch on the back side of the unit so I really can't say about the switching capabilities. My Digitech 2101 doesn't have one either. Not really sure what's involved in switching the power.

As for the digital interface, no optical or anything like that. The GSP has a USB hub but just as a recording interface and for working with the editor. Can't patch into another USB capable unit.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Has anyone experienced crashes or other glitches after updating to the C48 beta firmware? Has anyone been running C48 for more than 6 months? There are a couple of HC reviews of the GSP1101 in which users mention units dying, and all of them seem to have installed the beta firmware. I'm wondering if this is merely a coincidence.

Archived