Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Members

I still love mine. Great tone through my Mesa Mark III. Very convenient with the Control 2 (highly recommended).

Pitch shifting for different keys
Excellent reverbs and delays with ducking
The DOD-250 is an excellent replacement for my Blues Driver

I have some noise when I use my Mark III preamp, but at jamming and gig volume it is acceptable. The 1101 preamp models are nice enough, I usually just use them anyway.

Its up to me to play the guitar well. I am tired of looking for the ultimate amp or pedal to make me sound better. There is a reason why 99% of people can't tell the difference between guitars, amps, and effects.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok, for those of you who are antsy for the new firmware you can download the beta versions as they come out. However, read the disclosure at the beginning. These versions are
NOT
supportd by DigiTech. Use them at your own risk! It may not be a good idea to put these on before a gig, and you
may
not be able to revert to V2.0,
may
. You will need the X-Edit beta version as well if you want to run X-Edit. Again, read the disclosure and use this software at your own risk!!! With that said I have been using the beta versions since V2.0 C05 and have been able to reload the V2.0. Some things may not be functioning properly either on the box, or in X-Edit. If you run across any problems or suggestions please PM me or contact the web site creator. As of now there will be no more effects/amp models or major changes. There is simply no more room in the AudioDNA2 chip for more, believe me I tried to get a couple more things! have fun!

I can't wait for the official release to come out.

Love the Orange!!

• Members

I can't wait for the official release to come out.

Love the Orange!!

So you've gone for the beta, nice! Good to hear you're liking the orange (I heard that request a number of times!) The firmware is 95% done. There still needs to be some serious testing and debugging, and minor changes are still being made. If you come across anything be sure to shoot me a PM.

• Members
So you've gone for the beta, nice! Good to hear you're liking the orange (I heard that request a number of times!) The firmware is 95% done. There still needs to be some serious testing and debugging, and minor changes are still being made. If you come across anything be sure to shoot me a PM.

No, I guess that was a misleading post. I can't use the beta, because I'm on a Mac. So, I was waiting for the official release because I love the sound of Orange amps in general. I can't wait to try it.

I appreciate the effort to get this out, though!
:thu::thu:

• Members

I just installed the Beta C26 firmware today. I like the improvements that I've seen so far. I find the Redline really useful as a pre-EQ to add bite to hi-gain sounds, including the triple rectifier. But I'd like to echo other posters' requests for an actual pre-EQ module, maybe as a stompbox. It would also be great to have individually adjustable delay times for left and right.

I tried to visit the forum on the mustbeta.com website but it's so frustratingly slow for me, I just gave up. Sometimes the pages don't even load after several minutes.

I still have a lot of exploring to do on the GSP1101, and will post if I discover anything useful.

• Members

I just installed the Beta C26 firmware today. I like the improvements that I've seen so far. I find the Redline really useful as a pre-EQ to add bite to hi-gain sounds, including the triple rectifier. But I'd like to echo other posters' requests for an actual pre-EQ module, maybe as a stompbox. It would also be great to have individually adjustable delay times for left and right.

I tried to visit the forum on the mustbeta.com website but it's so frustratingly slow for me, I just gave up. Sometimes the pages don't even load after several minutes.

I still have a lot of exploring to do on the GSP1101, and will post if I discover anything useful.

I am with you on that one!!! I have pushed and pushed for a pre-EQ. They were considering making the global EQ have an option to go pre on a patch basis. however they ran out of room on the chip to add anything else. You could bug the guy on the beta forum. he seemed to think something like this could be done if things were re-arranged a bit, but he is not the guy that does that side of it. if he got some other requests he might also push for it. But it may not be feasible to fit it. I was told that the stompbox models kind of take that role anyway...

• Members
You could bug the guy on the beta forum. he seemed to think something like this could be done if things were re-arranged a bit, but he is not the guy that does that side of it. if he got some other requests he might also push for it...

Well now I've posted it on the beta forum. All we can do now is hope!

• Members

Just received this email today from Digitech (11/25/2008):thu:

Richard,

DigiTech does have plans to release a firmware update for the GSP1101;
this firmware update is still in the development/testing phase. I do not
have a release date available. The update will be posted on the DigiTech
website as soon as it is completed.

Best Regards,

Shane Vander Veur
Digitech Support
Phone# (801)566-8800

• Members

I have been playing my 1101 straight into the mixer for as long as I've had it. I've gotten some decent tones through my headphones, and when playing out some full range PA speakers it sounded pretty good. It was a little on the thin side, however, if I had time to tweak to full range speakers I could get it better but I think it would still be thin. This morning I tried to send it to my marshall valvestate FX return in and this sounded a bit fuller, but it sounded messy. I have a friend who is building custom cabs and can also build a powered cab. I am thinking about going this route. His cabs sound amazing through good head units, and would be WAYY cheaper for me than buying a name brand (he uses whatever driver you want). My only dilemma with going to a cab like this is I lose my control that I have going to the mixer first, but it may be worth it.

To put a long story short, I am curious how other people are setting up their 1101 when using only the 1101's amp models. What seems to work best? Simplicity has advantages too, and that's why I have been going straight to the mixer...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i want to buy this unit to run in the FX loop of my head (Diezel Einstein)
I don't want to use the amp/cab modeling
i'm mainly buying it for delays, reverbs, compressors and overdrive pedals.

i keep reading that you can bypass the amp modeling but it seems to lump the overdrive pedals in the with bypassing.

my question is, is there a way to put this in the loop, and kick on one of the built in overdrive pedals for a solo boost using my amps sound as my main sound with the pedal on top of it?

thanks guys!
:thu:

• Members

brilliant -

Download the manual from the Digitech site. The Setup wizard info is found on Page 9 if your looking at the page numbers on the bottom of the page (or the 15th page as seen in adobe). Looks like setup #7 is what you are looking for. #1 would work of course, but may not sound as good.

With setup #7 you have full functionality of your head and the 1101. You can use you head for your tone (and still be able to use all effects / stompboxes) or switch to the 1101's amp models if you want.

You may look at option 6 as well...

• Members

I picked up a Korg AX3000G for $100. It is a floor unit modeler with MIDI. It is working out great as a controller for the GSP. It also has some nice delay and modulation fx to throw on top of the GSP if desired. Each of the footswitches on the Korg can be assigned a cc# to turn things on/off in the GSP. I use one to turn on the wah and the Korg exp pedal controls it. Use another to add modulation or what ever. There is a "control' switch on the Korg that is only active while it's being held down. I assigned the harmonizer to that to add a 5th above for fill in licks. Great alternative to the expensive Digitech control 2. I do have the 3 button digitech footswitch to change patches though.

• Members

OK, I'm at my wit's end. I can usually figure out things on my own pretty well but I've been gigging with the GSP and Control 2 board for awhile now and all is quite well....but...I decided I want to figure out how to use the Control's expression pedal for volume. It works great for Wah. I've been in the midi assignments and almost every window I can change and try. I tried Controller 1 (midi CC7) and Controller 12 (midi CC7). Even opened up X-edit to try and see what the heck I must be missing but I am at a loss. Maybe I have some option on somewhere that keeps the expression volume from working? I did see a Midi Preset Map menu has a GSP Midi Preset Map as a second option from my "Midi Preset Map" selected first option, maybe I have to have that selected?

I suspect I am missing something very obvious here. Please give me hint if you know. Thank you!

• Members

OK, I'm at my wit's end. I can usually figure out things on my own pretty well but I've been gigging with the GSP and Control 2 board for awhile now and all is quite well....but...I decided I want to figure out how to use the Control's expression pedal for volume. It works great for Wah. I've been in the midi assignments and almost every window I can change and try. I tried Controller 1 (midi CC7) and Controller 12 (midi CC7). Even opened up X-edit to try and see what the heck I must be missing but I am at a loss. Maybe I have some option on somewhere that keeps the expression volume from working? I did see a Midi Preset Map menu has a GSP Midi Preset Map as a second option from my "Midi Preset Map" selected first option, maybe I have to have that selected?

I suspect I am missing something very obvious here. Please give me hint if you know. Thank you!

I am trying to remember exactly what it is called. The link is something like exp pdl or something. On the list it is before the CC0, CC1, etc... and is like the 2nd or third on the list. Use X-Edit and try those first few and watch the preset knob, it should move with the pedal. There are 2 that look like they would be it, one if for the expression pedal on the Control 2 and the other is for the second expression pedal you can plug into the control 2 or straight into the 1101. There is a third which I distinctly remember being "FC", that is button 10 which is assignable to whatever (even volume), unlike the stompbox and patch change buttons

Oh and even when you have the exp pdl set for volume it will also work as the wah when you step on the pedal. stepping again returns to volume...

• Members

I purchased the GSP1101 and I contacted customer support via phone & email and I received 2 different responses as to how to wire up my GSP1101.

I am looking to record (multi-track) and (at a separate time) jam along with Band in a box.

Equipment I have: A-designs mp2 (preamp) - Vox AD30VT - MAudio 1010 - Cubase - Band in a box.

Phone support said, do the line out into the VOX amp for jamming with Band in a box, then use the XLR outs into the MAudio1010 to multi-track into Cubase.

Email support said, do the line out into the VOX amp for jamming with Band in a box, then use the USB cable to multi-track into Cubase. I would just have to change my input to USB (not 1010) everytime I wish to record the guitar and then switch back to 1010 when I don't wish to record guitar.

Maybe I should hook up all 3 that way with the USB hook-up I would at least have use of the x-Editor.

I'm a little confused...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

• Members
I am trying to remember exactly what it is called. The link is something like exp pdl or something. On the list it is before the CC0, CC1, etc... and is like the 2nd or third on the list. Use X-Edit and try those first few and watch the preset knob, it should move with the pedal. There are 2 that look like they would be it, one if for the expression pedal on the Control 2 and the other is for the second expression pedal you can plug into the control 2 or straight into the 1101. There is a third which I distinctly remember being "FC", that is button 10 which is assignable to whatever (even volume), unlike the stompbox and patch change buttons

Oh and even when you have the exp pdl set for volume it will also work as the wah when you step on the pedal. stepping again returns to volume...

Thanks for the reply. I've tried some different combos of what you suggested to get my control 2's expression pedal to work for volume but no luck yet. I hope you can read this photo, but I have the Expression pedal picked for a link and targeting the Volume Pre FX. Should this now work? It doesn't yet. I can't see what I am missing.

screenjpg2.jpg

Hey, I found one other thing: Under Global menu under Footcontroller >> Volume Update (off), Midi CC Send: FC PDL (off) and FC FSW (off). Any of these need to be changed in order for the Expression Pedal to work the Volume? I tried turning this stuff off and on but no results.

• Members

The CC stuff is strictly if you are trying to send a CC to another unit via the midi out jack.

Looks like you have the link set up correctly. There could be a setting elsewhere. I really need to see my 1101 and plug the guitar into it. The Pre-volume is hard to test unless you are all plugged in! you may try turning your preset level down and seeing what happens. there is a possibility that having it at 99 is noty giving the pre-volume any head room. Also link to the preset level or the amp level. I usually link to the preset level anyway, or amp level if I want a change in tone. i.e. I have linked the gain and amp level at the same time and made it so as I turned the gain up the volume went down so I maintained the same overall volume with more distortion. You should see the knobs change in X-Edit when you rock the pedal. If these are working then there is an issue with how you have your preset set up and using pre-volume (may be the preset level may be something to do with the FX loop). Try doing this link on a factory preset as yet another test.

If you don't have this figured out by tonight I'll mess around with it on my 1101 (although I am using a beta firmware version) BTW what firmware are you using?

• Members

I purchased the GSP1101 and I contacted customer support via phone & email and I received 2 different responses as to how to wire up my GSP1101.

I am looking to record (multi-track) and (at a separate time) jam along with Band in a box.

Equipment I have: A-designs mp2 (preamp) - Vox AD30VT - MAudio 1010 - Cubase - Band in a box.

Phone support said, do the line out into the VOX amp for jamming with Band in a box, then use the
XLR outs into the MAudio1010 to multi-track
into Cubase.

Email support said, do the line out into the VOX amp for jamming with Band in a box, then use the
USB cable to multi-track
into Cubase. I would just have to change my input to USB (not 1010) everytime I wish to record the guitar and then switch back to 1010 when I don't wish to record guitar.

Maybe I should hook up all 3 that way with the USB hook-up I would at least have use of the x-Editor.

I'm a little confused...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are doing (I have never used band in a Box) I always have my USB from the 1101 in for X-Edit. I use the 1/4" outs to my mixer and let it do the rest. I use the usb from my mixer to the PC. I assume your MAudio 1010 could do the same (with or without USB). Then I have either used a send to the amp or used headphones to hear myself. If I want to jam along to something on the PC It gets sent back out to the mixer and I keep it in the headphones, or in this case instead of using a send to my amp I use the mixers outs so I can hear it all.

It sounds to me like there are a few ways to do what you want. You need to try them all and see which works best for you. But IMO let the I/O box take care of this type of thing...

• Members

Looks like you have the link set up correctly. There could be a setting elsewhere. I really need to see my 1101 and plug the guitar into it.

ah ha! I looked at a preset I had saved and saw what I had for the links. You should be using "controller 2 (FC Pedal 1)" The expression pedal link is for the jack in the back of the 1101 (or in the control 2) for a seperate volume pedal.

• Members

ah ha! I looked at a preset I had saved and saw what I had for the links. You should be using "controller 2 (FC Pedal 1)" The expression pedal link is for the jack in the back of the 1101 (or in the control 2) for a seperate volume pedal.

That did it!!!!!!!!! Much appreciated amigo!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I installed C30 today.. So far I'm diggin it:thu:

Archived