The "Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai" Lounge

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

woah...that sounds amazing!!

what a great toy!! thumb.gif

Thanks, Melx. I've never owned a looper before, so I'm having a "field day" (as some say here). This is definitely a multi-fx pedal. I haven't even begun to use it with other fx yet. I need to test it with some fuzz eventually; but right now I'm just trying to figure out what it does by itself. There seem to be a cornucopia of possibilities with this boxfreak.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever

View Post

Thanks, Melx. I've never played with a looper before, so I'm having a "field day" (as some say here). This is definitely a multi-fx pedal. I haven't even begun to use it with other fx yet. I need to test it with some fuzz eventually; but right now I'm just trying to figure out what it does by itself. There seem to be a cornucopia of possibilities with this boxfreak.gif

yeah, weeks of fun!! The backwards stuff sounds really good....can you record something (like just a few simple chords progressions) then play it all backwards, afterwards without anything over the top? I'd love to hear the backwards effect on it's own.

• Members

View Post

yeah, weeks of fun!! The backwards stuff sounds really good....can you record something (like just a few simple chords progressions) then play it all backwards, afterwards without anything over the top? I'd love to hear the backwards effect on it's own.

I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully I'll have something for you by tomorrow.

• Members

View Post

I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully I'll have something for you by tomorrow.

the reason I'm asking it because we do this song that has this wierd kinda psyc. break bit in the middle and what would be excellent if I can record the last 8 chords of the verse, then in this break bit, just hit the pedal and have the verse playing backwards over this wierd bit, and then just do some phasey feedback over the top of that. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I was just doing Swopes sort of mission of burma stuff with mine. I was layering a bunch of natural harmonic stuff with the blend down so you could just faintly here it and then playing this chord in an open tuning with my right hand, I took my left hand and reversed the loop and sped it up and faded it in, then a bit out so that my playing covered it up, then when I held a chord and let it fade you'd hear the weird reverse stuff going on. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralJulian

View Post

I was just doing Swopes sort of mission of burma stuff with mine. I was layering a bunch of natural harmonic stuff with the blend down so you could just faintly here it and then playing this chord in an open tuning with my right hand, I took my left hand and reversed the loop and sped it up and faded it in, then a bit out so that my playing covered it up, then when I held a chord and let it fade you'd hear the weird reverse stuff going on. wink.gif

I've barely read the manual at this point redface.gif

How do you reverse the loop, SJ? By the way, I've been diggin on your clips. You inspired me to get a SoundClick account as well.cool.gif

• Members

You turn the decay knob to the left when in loop mode. loop mode means none of the mode lights are lit. You can also set how the volume of the previous layer gets affected when you do your next overdub with the repeats knob, and the time knob will make your pitch an octave up if you turn it all the way to the right, and an octave down if you turn it to the left.

• Members

View Post

the reason I'm asking it because we do this song that has this wierd kinda psyc. break bit in the middle and what would be excellent if I can record the last 8 chords of the verse, then in this break bit, just hit the pedal and have the verse playing backwards over this wierd bit, and then just do some phasey feedback over the top of that. icon_lol.gif

Melx wave.gif here's a clip playing bar chords through a BMP into the SMMH.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=5780413

First two bars are the loop played forward,

then I reverse the loop by turning the Decay know full counter-clockwise,

then I play around with the Filter knob to get a kind of parametric EQ/wah effect,

then I play with the Delay knob to slow down and speed up the loop,

and then I finish by returning the loop to its original form by turning the Decay knob full clockwise.

I hope this gives you some idea of what you are looking for smile.gif

• Members

Here's how to do MBV stuff with the SMM /w H

1. Learn a simple MBV song- I like Don't Ask Why.

2. go to 1 sec or 3 sec echo, turn the decay all the way up, the blend all the way up, the delay pretty far down, and the repeats to around 8 0r 9 o clock

3. fuzz to taste

4. play the chord progression backwards and loop it

5. go into loop mode, reverse the loop

6. set blend to about 10 o clock

7. set to your favorite verb or echo setting

8. play the chords over top

• Members

Thank you very very much for the clips so far!

I still wonder what happens, when I have 2 inputs and 1 output? Like when you have another delay with 2 outputs (dry/effect) right infront of the SMMH. I am about to prepare my board for it and I am really curious if that has an effect on the sound. Does the MM only take the input where an output is connected or does it mix both inputs in some way?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by neoflox

View Post

Thank you very very much for the clips so far!

I still wonder what happens, when I have 2 inputs and 1 output? Like when you have another delay with 2 outputs (dry/effect) right infront of the SMMH. I am about to prepare my board for it and I am really curious if that has an effect on the sound. Does the MM only take the input where an output is connected or does it mix both inputs in some way?

Good question. I have a Boss PN-2 and a PS-3, which have stereo outs. I'll have to experiment with putting them in front of the SMMH; though I'm not sure I'll know what I'm hearing icon_lol.gif I'll send another clip of my findings.

• Members

View Post

Melx wave.gif here's a clip playing bar chords through a BMP into the SMMH.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5780413

First two bars are the loop played forward,

then I reverse the loop by turning the Decay know full counter-clockwise,

then I play around with the Filter knob to get a kind of parametric EQ/wah effect,

then I play with the Delay knob to slow down and speed up the loop,

and then I finish by returning the loop to its original form by turning the Decay knob full clockwise.

I hope this gives you some idea of what you are looking for smile.gif

OMFG!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

I need one right now!!!!!!

that's sounded great especially when you slowed the backwards loop...wow!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

• Members

View Post

That would be wonderful. As long, can't you just try it and tell me? I'll have a lack of patch cables of the right length and would love to know it it does a difference at all. I could use one on another spot if not wink.gif

Configuration 1: stereo inputs and stereo outputs

Direct signal into Mono L input > Mono L output (effected by SMMH)

Effected signal into R input > R ouput (effected by SMMH)

Configuration 2: mono input and stereo outputs

Signal into Mono L input > both Mono L and R outputs, but pingpongs/pans back and forth between the two outputs

• Members

View Post

Configuration 1: stereo inputs and stereo outputs

Direct signal into Mono L input > Mono L output (effected by SMMH)

Effected signal into R input > R ouput (effected by SMMH)

Configuration 2: mono input and stereo outputs

Signal into Mono L input > both Mono L and R outputs, but pingpongs/pans back and forth between the two outputs

Thanks, I've read the manual and followed every bit of information about it since the SMMH was announced. So I assume there is no Configuration 3 that works? (both Mono L&R inputs > single Mono L output?)

poke.gif

• Members

View Post

Thanks, I've read the manual and followed every bit of information about it since the SMMH was announced. So I assume there is no Configuration 3 that works? (both Mono L&R inputs > single Mono L output?)

poke.gif

Yes redface.gif

Configuration 3: stereo inputs and Mono L output

Direct signal into Mono L input and Effected signal into R input > Mono L output combines the two inputs into one signal

Archived