YAMAHA THR AMP...

fuzzface71

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have been curious for a very long time if I can run dirt pedals into this amp. I don't know if the studio monitor style speakers would blow or if my fuzzes would even sound passable anyways. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated! Will definitely be picking one up if so...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerverber50

View Post

I have been curious for a very long time if I can run dirt pedals into this amp. I don't know if the studio monitor style speakers would blow or if my fuzzes would even sound passable anyways. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated! Will definitely be picking one up if so...

I tried a fuzz pedal into the clean channel and IMO it did not sound good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by iodine74 View Post
Yamaha always leaves out one major point that would push their products over the top of awesomeness.

Magicstomp - No midi
UD Stomp - Horrible interface/Not stereo in

THR - No Footswitch
Ha, my gripe was lack of an effects loop. I still think it's awesome though. I bet the next version will have all kinds of cool stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Watch and listen to this video and tell me you're not getting a lot of value for that $300. And that's just the sounds / models / effects. Those VCM effects are also used by Yamaha in my digital console - it's good quality stuff that I use all the time. The THR10 can also function as an audio interface and speakers for your computer and iPhone. It comes bundled with Cubase AI and editor / librarian software for the THR. It even includes a tuner. I'll admit that Virtual Tube Illumination is kinda cheesy though. Still, that's a lot of stuff for that price, and when you hear one in person, you'll be surprised by just how loud it gets and how big it sounds. It's more than you'd expect, especially when you see how relatively small the unit is.

Damn you Phil!! smile.gif Now there's a GC nearby that I know has these in stock. frown.gif Bye bye fundage!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by scolfax View Post
Ha, my gripe was lack of an effects loop. I still think it's awesome though. I bet the next version will have all kinds of cool stuff.
OH yeah... forgot about that one. facepalm.gif

Would be kinda cool also if it did have a power switch or if they had a matching specialty powered cab or something.

Have no idea how the modeling sounds compared to the Magicstomp, I get mixed results with pedals infront of it as well. Some drives thicken it up and add some 'realism' the sound, others sound like crap... some sound great (for certain types of sound).

• Members

i dont understand the 5 watt difference in this case... i tested the THR 10 in a shop and now i am a little biased which one is the right one for recording and for practice at home idn_smilie.gif THR 5 is 100 EUR cheaper...

EDIT: ah got it... google is my friend biggrin.gif

Question: some stuff can only used/changed via the Editor and USB. can i use a preset with different reverb, a noisegate, different reverb etc. standalone or only connected via USB with the Editor?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sparkfriction View Post
i dont understand the 5 watt difference in this case... i tested the THR 10 in a shop and now i am a little biased which one is the right one for recording and for practice at home idn_smilie.gif THR 5 is 100 EUR cheaper...
?

I also love the fact that you can use a bass on the 10. Volumewise, no big difference, I find.

• Members

EDIT: ah got it... google is my friend biggrin.gif

Question: some stuff can only used/changed via the Editor and USB. can i use a preset with different reverb, a noisegate, different reverb etc. standalone or only connected via USB with the Editor?
With the 10, whilst its connected to USB and the editor, you can save sounds in one of the 5 presets and then use them away from the computer. I havnt tried it but thats my understanding from the manual.

Picked one up on Saturday and Im loving it, although i havnt spent enough time with it really. What I love is that it sounds so full without having that large speaker thump that makes regular amps such a no no in a small flat.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by frankthomson View Post
i dunno, $300 for a bedroom amp???
For me it's:

- Practice amp
- Hi-fi Laptop speakers
- Recording interface/amp with amp sims and effects

i dont understand the 5 watt difference in this case
I think you already got it, but, they have the same output. No 5 watt difference.

You can make presets on the THR-10 standalone that include settings for everything (including different reverbs and their settings) except the compressor and noisegate.

Archived