recommend music that you like, for Phil

goodhonk

• Members

based on what you know about phil, suggest music from your collection that you think he would truly enjoy.  explain your selections, use complete sentences.   

phil, please respond to the suggestions.  

sufjan stevens, illinoise - i don't recall phil ever commenting when sufjan stevens is mentioned so i assume he isn't aware of the beauty of this album.  i think phil would like it because the album is interesting, kind of like a pet sounds without the harmonies.  

goodhonk wrote:

based on what you know about phil, suggest music from your collection that you think he would truly enjoy.  explain your selections, use complete sentences.   

phil, please respond to the suggestions.  

sufjan stevens, illinoise - i don't recall phil ever commenting when sufjan stevens is mentioned so i assume he isn't aware of the beauty of this album.  i think phil would like it because the album is interesting, kind of like a pet sounds without the harmonies.  

You're right - I was unfamiliar with this record.

Very nice indeed. :) The performances are not quite on the level of the Wrecking Crew, but they are quite nice - and the vocals are also very well done. Again, not quite the Beach Boys; nor am I hearing a ton of BB influences in the vocal arrangements; althought I certainly do hear it in the instrumental arrangement approach. It's a very "American", in the same way the Beach Boys are. In terms of lyrical references, it's pretty deep and well written, and certainly more midwest than west coast. It also has quite a few Christian references. 

The recording is expertly done. It's clear where it needs to be, but not at the expense of glue, vibe and color. They really like the "up close / quietly-sung vocal / compress it and make it sound like they're singing right in your ear" approach to the lead vocals. And they did a nice job of it too. :) Appropriate use of the audible frequecy spectrum / tonal balance too. IMO, it's not over-hyped in the extremes (lows/highs) - which wouldn't suit the music IMO. The mixing engineer obviously gets that some things need to be smaller in order for others to be larger. Of course, the lack of a ton of distorted guitars tends to free up quite a bit of space... ;)

Even when the arrangement gets busy (and it does get pretty busy on occasions) the mix stays relatively uncluttered and everything remains audible. And there are some very nice sounds and transitions on this record. Impressive.

I could see myself really digging this after a couple of listens to fully appreciate it. Nice call. And thank you. :):o

• Members

http://greylyng.bandcamp.com/album/i-keep-silence

A few guys I have played with in the past put this out a couple years ago. It's sort of in the style of early 70s prog a la king crimson in some ways but also incorporates a lot of more current aesthetics as well. Came out really well, I think. The drummer is pretty killer. One of my favorites to have played with.

travisbrowning wrote:

The Merediths

Best "modern Beatles" band there is. Probably my favorite band. 

Gotta love diminished chords - instant Beatles. ;)

Very obvious Beatles influences. And again, very cool. I'd classify this as near perfect modern powerpop. I'd be very interested in hearing more. 

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

You're right - I was unfamiliar with this record.

Very nice indeed.
:)
The performances are not quite on the level of the Wrecking Crew, but they are quite nice - and the vocals are also very well done. Again, not quite the Beach Boys; nor am I hearing a ton of BB influences in the vocal arrangements; althought I certainly do hear it in the instrumental arrangement approach. It's a very "American", in the same way the Beach Boys are. In terms of lyrical references, it's pretty deep and well written, and certainly more midwest than west coast. It also has quite a few Christian references. 

The recording is expertly done. It's clear where it needs to be, but not at the expense of glue, vibe and color. They really like the "up close / quietly-sung vocal / compress it and make it sound like they're singing right in your ear" approach to the lead vocals. And they did a nice job of it too.
:)
Appropriate use of the audible frequecy spectrum / tonal balance too. IMO, it's not over-hyped in the extremes (lows/highs) - which wouldn't suit the music IMO. The mixing engineer obviously gets that some things need to be smaller in order for others to be larger. Of course, the lack of a ton of distorted guitars tends to free up quite a bit of space...
;)

Even when the arrangement gets busy (and it does get pretty busy on occasions) the mix stays relatively uncluttered and everything remains audible. And there are some very nice sounds and transitions on this record. Impressive.

I could see myself really digging this after a couple of listens to fully appreciate it. Nice call. And thank you.
:):o

wow, thanks for the in depth review and critique!  i appreciate you taking the time to do that.  i have a difficult time explaining why i enjoy a particular record.  

here's another that i really love that i think would be up your alley as well.

regina spektor's album fidelty.  poppy enough to enjoy on a casual listen, memorable enough to sing along, and interesting enough for repeated listens.

if you're already aware of her and/or this album i'd still be interested in hearing your critique. 

Preacher wrote:

This is just pure sunshine pop in my opinion, and happens to sound better the louder it is played. Also very much wears its influences on its sleeve.

Cut Copy - Where I'm Going

I like it, but I wish it was a bit more melodically adventurous. YMMV.

• Members

My reasoning?  Besides the fact that we are kindred spirit with our amp selection (Princeton & AC15), if he digs the Surfjan stuff, he might be interested in this, which I like more than their newest.  (this is supposed to be the first video in a playlist of the album.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived