Surf music.

Bill Cosby

• Members

the mermen OWN surf music.

dude has each pickup going to a separate rig and effects system.

hugest guitar sound i have ever heard live.

maybe it was the drugs......i saw them in santa monica during my wild n crazy years.....but they were AMAZING....

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

As mentioned, Man or Astroman is good--but some of their computerized Devo stuff put me off at times, especially the "Eeviac" album.

Coffin Daggers are good if you want a fairly modern band doing that style, but more aggressively. Huevos Rancheros were always one of my favorites, because it was more rock based, more AC/DC riff oriented mixed with some 60's garage rock, but still very much surf rock ("Get Outta Dodge" is their best).

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet--a bit more in the polite realm of the surf sound.

Dick Dale, The Shadows, Ventures--all good old surf bands from the original era.

Not really too sure about new, new surf bands. That was one of those genres where a few bands that did it well were more than enough. Surf music is one of the genres where it's the most susceptible to the "all sounds the same" pitfall in that a little usually goes a long way. I love me some surf music though, it's especially good while driving.

• 4 years later...

Archived