Special food from your Region

Danox3

• Members

I will play your game, its hard to define special food from brazil as it varies a lot in such a continental country, but I will put forward the ones in my family areas...

traditional feijoada... every saturday!

feijoada1.jpg

fish Muqueca... bliss

moqueca-de-peixe.jpg

and sunday BBQ

300px-Churrasco_carioca.jpg

as you can see, brazil is a no no no for veggie people!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just sayin that a chimichanga, potato/fries burritio, and fast food burger are widely available anywhere in america to the point that I dont think you can call it local/regional ... there is nothing setting it apart enough to make that claim
:idk:
I imagine there are things only found in your region you could share instead like the others here are
:idk:

I guess I was under the impression that this was a regional food thread, as in foods that are known to have come from your region and are a common place there. I have a bootleg of the Flying Burrito Brothers playing live in New York, late 60's? It sounds like they were opening for someone. In the audio you hear Gram Parsons trying to explain to people what a burrito was. With a show of hands no one in the audience knew what a burrito was... New York City, late 60's and no one knew what a burrito was?

Chimichanga's the same thing. I think in more recent years with them being available in the frozen food sections people back East now are more familiar with them. 10-20 years ago not so much. Most people I know from back East that I have brought it up with have never heard of a California burrito let alone ate one. The McDonald's reference was just due to the fact they and the idea it came out of SoCal. The whole fast food car hop thing is pure vintage Socal. I'm not saying these foods are not popular elsewhere, I'm sure they are. But for an example I'm not going to rag on someone from Chicago and tell them that pan pizza is not really a regional Chicago area dish because I can get it in other states like Florida. :idk:

• Members
Hangwire, you forgot Solly's.

:o i should probably have one, huh? :facepalm: {censored}, i lived less than a mile away from it at one point... but i guess i'm not a big beef fan...if I want read meat, I will go to elsa's on the park downtown... but I'll make a trip to solly's soon now that you mentioned it and report. :wave:

• Members
a region with that is made up of 50% mexicans is gonna have better mexican food than a place with less than 1% mexican population.

do all 50% know how to cook well? maybe the 1% up in South dakota had a few good cooks among them?

maybe its just that people from socal think they are sooo much more special than everyone else :lol:;)

I think the point being missed between us is that its like you are claiming something broad that can be multivariat [like usa bbq] rather than breaking it down to current specific goodness [like the no carlina east/west bbq differences pointed above] that you can share and point out for visitors to your region as something they cant get elsewhere... Im hoping to hear from you about a place that you can vouche for that has a very unique chimichanga...etc.. that cant be found outsdie of your small 10 mile region :)

• Members

I consider regional food a little differently I guess. Here in the greater LA area there is a taqueria on every block, usually several and odds are pretty good one can get a solid chimichanga at any of them. Last time I was in South Dakota [admittedly 12 years ago] we went to 'the' mexican restaurant, complete with flavorless tortillas and ketchup-centric salsa.

Conversely I had hot dish in SD that put to shame any casserole I've tried that was made here in LA. To me regional food doesn't mean it cannot be had anywhere else but implies that in this region it has been taken to high art and/or defined the generally accepted parameters of the dish.

• Members

From the GA Coast...shrimp 'n' grits. Its originally a slave dish, but variants are now found on the menus of all kinds of upscale restaurants. Go to three different restaurants, and you'll get three different interpretations. Most of the restaurant offerings involve sauteed shrimp, a thin white andouille sausage gravy, and various veggies (peppers, onions, etc). My dad makes a more traditional version with fried shrimp and brown onion gravy. Either way, its killer. Growing up the son of a shrimper made for some good 'eatin,

BT0606-1_Joe-Barnett-Shrimp-and-Grits_s4

Also, Low Country Boil: shrimp, corn on the cob, potatoes, sausage, whole onions, and (sometimes) blue crabs boiled and seasoned in one pot. The foodstuff of countless parties of my youth. At one memorable event, the Low Country Boil was emptied into a small dinghy for serving.

2839331841_40b195f1e7.jpg

• Members

According to hangwire, I can find that at my local liquor store so it's not really
your
thing anymore. I guess deepdish pizza isn't Chicago's thing either because I can get some here in California.

you think you're special!?

• Members

I live in one of the most overweight cities in the country....

Memphis style BBQ, unquestionably the best in the world (i'm lookin at you NC and Texas guys)

20101117-central-bbq-pork-ribs-memphis-t

memphis-central-bbq-ribs.jpg

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

6a00d8341c58f853ef0120a8bbe524970b-700wi

You just destroyed my diet.

Archived