The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would like to officially welcome myself to your numbers. ;)

I've pointed out in other threads that I'm a writer of books, for Electronic Musician, and so on. One of my buddies who also edits some of my books won an RM4 on Ebay, and as a gift, sent it to me! :) (I'd been saying how much I wanted one, so he knew I'd be thrilled)

I have no modules yet though. Have to save up some cash (pro audio writing is very emotionally rewarding...but not very financially rewarding, I'm afraid :) ). I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch though--I really want to check out a Top Boost, Recto, XTC, maybe a Modern....so many choices! :)

Take care,
Orren

• Members

Wow, congrats man! That Top Boost module is great, from what I recall, as I don't have one. Would someone wanna trade Tweed for Top Boost for a week or so??? I have the Tweed.

Anyway, let us know what you think of it. I wish I'd won my RM50. :)

• Members

You know... A curious question on the RT2/50 power amp... What power tubes have people used and which are your favorites? I've used Ruby EL34s, Groove E34Ls, Ruby 6L6s. I have a hard time hearing a truly noticeable difference between the Ruby 6L6 and the Ruby EL34... Some subtle changes but nothing hugely noticeable. What are some of the other experiences?
~Kurt

• Members

Guys, I installed .001 caps in the recto and modern modules last night. I got to play it this evening for 2.5 hours.

The cap does EXACTLY what I hoped it would! I only played with the Modern module cause I liked it so much that I couldn't take it out to test the recto.

It made this thing a LOT tighter and took away that round, boomy low end that I was getting with any kind of palm muting. It allows the crunch to be a lot more crisp and tight. It made it a tiny bit brighter, but all I had to do was roll back on the treble a half a degree to take care of it.

I can't believe they aren't shipping these with .001s! I totally skipped out on .0022's. I can't imagine it being any closer to the sound of the .001's.

• Members

Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Guys, I installed .001 caps in the recto and modern modules last night. I got to play it this evening for 2.5 hours.

The cap does EXACTLY what I hoped it would! I only played with the Modern module cause I liked it so much that I couldn't take it out to test the recto.

It made this thing a LOT tighter and took away that round, boomy low end that I was getting with any kind of palm muting. It allows the crunch to be a lot more crisp and tight. It made it a tiny bit brighter, but all I had to do was roll back on the treble a half a degree to take care of it.

Wow....let me know how it goes with the Recto...might have to try the cap change in mine!

Brighter is no problem, these amps are a little too dark/bassy anyway.

• Members

I can't believe they aren't shipping these with .001s! I totally skipped out on .0022's. I can't imagine it being any closer to the sound of the .001's.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Members

I'm goin' back next Sunday. I'll use the Recto instead, that way I don't get too attached to yours
:p

You got any pics of the mods you did....and an online source for the caps maybe?

Thx.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by Dramius

My Rectum module sounds like {censored}. Really loose lows & no dimension. But I think it was probably bad to begin with. I will try the cap mod & see what happens.

Yeah, try that out:)

What poweramp is everyone using or what head box container unit?

• Members

Hey Mitch...does that .001 cap mod still make the amp sound natural. I ask because you're more into the metal side of things than I. I want to tighten certain modules up, but I don't want it so tight that it sounds synthetic. To my ears, the Engl Powerball kind of tight just doesn't sound natural. Would you say that the .001 cap mod still allows the amp to be expressive and dynamic...or does it turn it into a metal machine?

• Members

I'm not sure how to answer that :p. Honestly, I did think "Powerball" for a second when I was playing. It was that tight. I did have to crank the gain way up, though. With the module I was using it was a metal machine :D. But that module was a metal machine with the stock cap, just not perfect enough for me. When I go over there sunday I'll pay more attention to your concern when I'm playin' and I'll have a better answer for you. I'll be on the recto this time.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

jkd, how does the recto sounds to a real recto?

can it get both sounds of modern and vintage?

I hope I'm talking to the right guy there, the one who has/had a Mea Road king:confused:

Thanks for your time:)

Mike:)

If I was honest. I'd have to say it has a recto vibe more than sounding like a recto. It's a little saggy, has that thump they are renowned for, the mid positioning sounds about the same and is little scopped like teh real thing but the EQ doesn't really respond like a recto does...it's before the gain after all.

It can't do the vintage/modern thing, I also would not say it sounds totally like either...I have days when I prefer the Randall Recto though...it is very good.

'Son of recto' would be more like.

It's also pretty hard to get it to sound too fizzy like the recto can ....which is a good thing (it can get there but takes a more extreme EQ...funnily it's easier to get there with 6L6s in the power amp too)

I have a 2ch '96 DR and a Roadking.

• Members

Originally posted by JKD

If I could make a recording worth a damn, I'd clip it up for you but I'm pissed off about how bad my recordings sound tone wise.

Anything you've got has got to sound better than the clips on the Randall site:)

• Members

I think my clips sound alright (the ones on this thread). I could record some more if you guys want me to. I could do my recto module with one of my Bad Monkey's on (for tightness). Waddaya say?

• Members

Originally posted by aepoc

I think my clips sound alright (the ones on this thread). I could record some more if you guys want me to. I could do my recto module with one of my Bad Monkey's on (for tightness). Waddaya say?

Wow..yes, you started this thread...with two of the nicest modules for this amp.

Do some recto riffs with and without the bad monkey, then I can cry but take my shot at the same (I got a BM last weekend too) :-D

Archived