The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Members

Yeah I swapped the Plexi for the SL+, then swapped that for the Recto. Plexi is definitely awesome, but I needed more gain, better for palm muting.

Mitch, I'm also hoping that I won't have to use the Bad Monkey in conjunction with the Recto after the cap change. However, I must say that I use the Bad Monkey to add a bit of saturation too. :eek:

I have two Bad Monkey's... it's nice to be able to have two overdrives, each set differently, a Turbo Rat, AND a Recto module. I normally only use the OD's and Dist on the Tweed module. I NEVER use the Turbo Rat with the Recto... haha... wall o' noise.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

What poweramp is everyone using or what head box container unit?

Has anyone tried running the RM4 direct, then using the speaker simulations in something like Guitar Rig as their cab? If so, what did you think?

I've got some modules coming on loan (Tweed, Blackface, Modern) and I can't wait to try them out!

Orren

• Members
www.aepoc.com/clips/recto.mp3

Okay, here it is, my Recto clip. All palm mutes, low E string (standard tuning). Recto settings:

gain - 2:00
bass - 2:00
mide - 12:00
treb - 4:00
master - 8:00
MASTER amp volume - 9:00

I live in an apartment, so I can't get it louder. In fact, there have been complaints with is QUIETER than this.

Anyway, the clip starts with no pedals. Then at 8 seconds, I turn the Bad Monkey on. Here are it's settings:

level - 9:00
low - 1:00
high - 2:00
gain - 3:00

You guys can clearly see what I mean about needing the Bad Monkey to make it tighter. Of course, I don't need the gain on 3:00, but whatever. :D Lemme know what ya think.

• Members

....sounds very different to mine, I usually have set:

gain - 1 to 2:00 o'clock
bass - 11:00
mide - 12:00
treb - 1:00
master - 9:00
MASTER amp volume - 10:00
Presence 11 o'clcok
Density 9 o'clock

with an SD-1 in front:

Level - Max
Tone - 1 o'clock
Gain - 8 to 9 o'clock

There's some stuff here, switching and messing with Recto and Ultra modules when I had the RM50HB (before the RM100M):

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/VirtualStudios/Listen/usersong.php?userid=148904

• Members

Originally posted by aepoc

The only reason I did the clip the way I did was to show that it's 'flubby' when palm muting w/out the BM.

Yeah, I got that. It wasn't meant to be insulting, was just saying I need to do some proper clips too

I think ya don't need that much gain on the OD to tighten it up though

Can't listen properly on these laptop speakers @ work anyways.

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Yes! That's the "flubby" stuff I was talkin' about.

Replacing the cap completely whiped that out. I hope it did on the recto, too.

Awesome! I hope it does man, if so... you'll be getting a module in the mail from me. :) Hey Mitch, YOU should post some clips. I wanna hear what you've got! :)

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Yeah, I plan to bug the guys on Sunday into setting up my mic for me. I feel weird wanting to record clips 'n stuff when they're around. They're not HC dorks like me and they just don't understand
:p

I also would love to hear some clips, of both the recto and the modern. I have a few modules coming to me on loan, one of which is the modern. I'll of course only get to try it out without the mod, but it would be great if there were some clips that I could direct my buddy to so he can hear the difference. :)

Orren

• Members

Just told the guys I need to set up to do a little recording. Now the other guitarist wants to mic up, but to put his rig through the 1,000 watt P.A. :eek:.
Heh. He's just experimenting with different sounds 'n stuff since he doesn't like his Mode4 sometimes.

• Members

OK I just modified my Recto with the Capacitor (to .001u) and Resistor (to 150ohm) mod.

While I'm impressed by the tightness, it also makes the bottom end quite... weird? I don't know how to say it, but it now handles my baritone fine with no flub. It's like the bottom end has less distortion than before, and maybe less gain overall.

What do these mods really do? RD/MAN or someone please chime in...

• Members

BTW, what the hell? The ULTRA module hasnt been gettin a lot of talk. Its a fricken cool high-gain module!

Im impressed, all u guys finally takin heed of what ive been saying for what, 2 yrs about this Randall stuff? ;) I was like the lone-damn ranger, but its real popular since like the past few months finally!

My favorite modules that I have are the Clean, Plexi, Top-boost, Ultra.

• Members

Originally posted by Dramius

BTW, what the hell? The ULTRA module hasnt been gettin a lot of talk. Its a fricken cool high-gain module!

Im impressed, all u guys finally takin heed of what ive been saying for what, 2 yrs about this Randall stuff?
;)
I was like the lone-damn ranger, but its real popular since like the past few months finally!

I love the ultra module too. Also, if I remember right, I had my RM4 back then. So you weren't quite a lone ranger.;)

• Members

Dude, nice picture! I like the feel!

Thanks. :) It was during a storm around here last Wednesday. Granted, I did some contrast adjustments, and blurred the edges a bit... but it enhances the feel. Glad you like it.

• Members

Im impressed, all u guys finally takin heed of what ive been saying for what, 2 yrs about this Randall stuff?
;)
I was like the lone-damn ranger, but its real popular since like the past few months finally!

Is it tighter than the Recto? :)

• Members

Originally posted by aepoc

Is it tighter than the Recto?
:)

Oh yeah...the Ultra is the tightest of the high gain modules. Hell, I even thought the Top Boost was tighter than the Recto. When I had my RM4 setup, I had the Ultra, Modern, Top Boost and Plexi modules. I ended up using the Ultra 90% of the time. I was never really happy with the Modern module. It was awesome for slower stuff or huge plam mutes but was not tight enough for fast riffs. I just picked up an RM100m that came with the Recto module. Its better than I expected and will probably be awesome with the cap mod. I would assume it would make the Modern module better as well.

EDIT: I haven't check out the XTC module yet. It could be tighter than the Ultra, but I doubt it.

• Members

Sounds good. I'm gonna send my Recto to Mitch and see if that cap change will work for me. If not, I'll be ordering either an ULTRA or XTC. :) Thanks for the info man.

Anyone have clips of the ULTRA?

Archived