The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guys,

There's been alot of talk about various amps being to muddy or thin, and alot obviously has to do with the turning of the guitar you use. I do want to let everyone know that there is one cap on all the hi-gain modules that basically adds or takes away low end in just the gain section only. This cap drastically changes the pick attack to either hard or soft, without really changing the overall amount of low end you get.

This cap is on the far left side of the module at position C1 which is about 1/2 way back on the board and is generally a large brown color capacitor. Most of the hi-gain modules either have a .0047u or .0022u in them. The 0047u will be the softest feeling gain, where the lower you go the tighter it will get.

I would recommend to anyone that has the SL+ or any hi-gain module especially if you're really detuning the guitar that you change this cap to a .0022u or even .001u.
You will notice a much tighter feeling tone with more pick definition. Any music store with a repair person or electronics repair shop can change this part out very quickly.

Thought I would pass this info along and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
RD/MAN

• Members

Originally posted by RD/MAN

Guys,

There's been alot of talk about various amps being to muddy or thin, and alot obviously has to do with the turning of the guitar you use. I do want to let everyone know that there is one cap on all the hi-gain modules that basically adds or takes away low end in just the gain section only. This cap drastically changes the pick attack to either hard or soft, without really changing the overall amount of low end you get.

This cap is on the far left side of the module at position C1 which is about 1/2 way back on the board and is generally a large brown color capacitor. Most of the hi-gain modules either have a .0047u or .0022u in them. The 0047u will be the softest feeling gain, where the lower you go the tighter it will get.

I would recommend to anyone that has the SL+ or any hi-gain module especially if you're really detuning the guitar that you change this cap to a .0022u or even .001u.

You will notice a much tighter feeling tone with more pick definition. Any music store with a repair person or electronics repair shop can change this part out very quickly.

Thanks,

RD/MAN

As always, great info!!! I have always liked the SL+ for leads, but wanted a little tighter sound for rhythms. This should do the trick. Thanks again.

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by RD/MAN

Guys,

Thanks,

RD/MAN

Hey!!! I just bought an Eganator SL++ and hate it. I tune down so maybe if I do this mod I might end up like this module after all? Thanks!! Is it easy to change this cap? I have no idea of what you're talking about.......and have no clue how to do it lol....:D

• Members

RD man I just PM'd you and your box is full. Sorry for being redundant but here are my lot of questions (I have many):

I have the 6L6 head with the traditional grill.

Is it possible to get/install the modern grill?

Is it possible to install EL-34's in the amp and rebias or no?

Is the Ultra module typically more noisy than the other modules? I borrowed another forumite's Ultra module and it was full of noise.

Are NOS type tubes going to have a large impact on the modules tone?

I tune in B and A. I read your post on the cap switch. So would you recommend a cap change for me on all modules? The Recto module sounds pretty good the way it is.....but I do like a tad fast attack I have to admit...

Thanks a bunch for your help. I've grown to really like this amp...:)

• Members

Originally posted by shred-o-holic

Is it possible to install EL-34's in the amp and rebias or no?

Abso-freakin'-lutely. That's one of the cool things about this amp. I've got EL-34's in mine and will throw 6L6's back in 'em today.

Here are the bias readings from the manual

6L6/5881: 28mV to 35mV

El34/6CA7: 30mV to 38mV

E34Ls: 35mV to 45mV

6550: 35mV to 45mV

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Abso-freakin'-lutely. That's one of the cool things about this amp. I've got EL-34's in mine and will throw 6L6's back in 'em today.

Here are the bias readings from the manual

6L6/5881: 28mV to 35mV

El34/6CA7: 30mV to 38mV

E34Ls: 35mV to 45mV

6550: 35mV to 45mV

Ooh sweet.......time to order some JJ EL-34L's! :cool:

• Members

If I had a good enough camera I'd take a pic of this. I'm lookin' at my SL+ module to see which cap he's talkin' about.
I see the cap he's talkin' about, although there is no label of 'C1'. There's only 5 caps and the other 4 are labeled. If swappin' out this thing to .22 will give faster response, that would be awesome to throw into my recto module. Damn, I gotta make a trip to radioshack today before practice :D.

• Members

If I had a good enough camera I'd take a pic of this. I'm lookin' at my SL+ module to see which cap he's talkin' about.

I see the cap he's talkin' about, although there is no label of 'C1'. There's only 5 caps and the other 4 are labeled. If swappin' out this thing to .22 will give faster response, that would be awesome to throw into my recto module. Damn, I gotta make a trip to radioshack today before practice
:D

Take pictures and teach my dumbass how to do it. ;)

Why are you going back to 6L6 btw?

• Members

I think the EL34's are too mid-rangey(marshally) for me. I won't know for sure 'til I switch over to the 6L6's :D. I'm basically starting over,as far as tweaking is concerned, with this amp since I had it sent off.

I tell you what, my parents have a good camera (the ex-wife got mine... ). I'm goin over there today to pick up my munchkin after practice. I'll try and sit down to take some pics if I remember.
I see the cap and resistor(clean stuff) he's talking about. This'll be real easy to swap out.

• Members

Nah, you gotta take some screws off to get that metal plate off of the bottom. Then use a soldering iron to take out the old one and drop in the new one. If you wanna go through the trouble you can mail it to me and I'll do it fer free.

Oh OK man........I'm not too swift with solder.......I'll just take it in around here........but thanks.....

• Members

Nah, you gotta take some screws off to get that metal plate off of the bottom. Then use a soldering iron to take out the old one and drop in the new one. If you wanna go through the trouble you can mail it to me and I'll do it fer free.

You are one of the nicest guys man!

• Members

Yeah, that'll be fun. I looked at all my modules at practice earlier. They did the resistor mod to both the clean and topboost modules and the cap mod to the topboost, but not the Recto. oops. I went by radio shack and bought the resistors I need. I can't find the caps. I accidentally bought .22uF rated caps instead:eek:. I'm not sure exactly what I need. I'm guess 22uF instead of .22 or .022uF.

Archived