The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Members

I'm thinking of getting a RM100B. I just wanna know how my sound is going to improve with a Recto, XTC or Marshall lead modules

I've got a Randall RH100 and i love it, i use the green-led distortion (dont know if it 's 1 or 2 right now). But i just want to turn to tubes. anyway, how do i get a good punk/rock/metal/offspring/avenged sevenfold sound? what module is perfect for it? I think the RH100 really kicks, but i want better, so.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Nrrrk

Anyway, how do i get a good punk/rock/metal/offspring/avenged sevenfold sound? what module is perfect for it? I think the RH100 really kicks, but i want better, so.

I thought the TOP BOOST module with the gain turned way up (3:00 and on) sounded pretty "trashy". I don't have the module though, could anyone else verify that?

• Members

Just a thought guys....the Recto isn't meant to be tight, ya know...kinda like the original.

That's not to say it doesn't kick arse when artificially tightened wit hthe SD-1 IN FRONT ;-)

• Members

Originally posted by JKD

Just a thought guys....the Recto isn't meant to be tight, ya know...kinda like the original.

That's not to say it doesn't kick arse when artificially tightened wit hthe SD-1 IN FRONT ;-)

Yeah, but a tight recto sound would still be cool to have on hand. I am using my AMZ FX modded SD-1. It helps. I had it cranked a few minutes ago. With the gain and bass low it sounded pretty good. Still not tight enough, but close.

• Members

Couple of questions....

What tubes are you guys running? My RM100 has Ruby EL34b output tubes with two EH for the loops and an unlabeled c7 in V1. I was really thinking about trying 6550s in the power section. Anyone tried this yet? I think the RM80 comes stock this way.

Also, whats on your module wish list? I would really like to see a 5150 or Mark series module. A Soldano module would be nice too. Hell, why not wish for a Powerball or Savage module while I'm at it.:D

• Members
Originally posted by Nrrrk

I'm thinking of getting a RM100B. I just wanna know how my sound is going to improve with a Recto, XTC or Marshall lead modules

I've got a Randall RH100 and i love it, i use the green-led distortion (dont know if it 's 1 or 2 right now). But i just want to turn to tubes. anyway, how do i get a good punk/rock/metal/offspring/avenged sevenfold sound? what module is perfect for it? I think the RH100 really kicks, but i want better, so.

I went from an RH200g2 to the rm100. I still love the RH200, but the rm100 blows it away in every aspect :p. You won't be disappointed and I"m sure you'll be able to try out all the modules one way or another with trading.

• Members

That's what i wanted to hear :)

Have you had any experiences with the Randall R412CX cabinets? what type of cab is yours?

edit: could you try to describe the differences between the two tops?

Sound > is it warmer? i think my RH100 has got tube harmonics actually, i've tested a few tube amps, and wasn't really impressed (tested a: koch multitone, and the Randall R50TC)

Construction > is it better? I find the RH100 to be build like a {censored}ing... i don't know what, but it's solid. :)

thanx,
W.

• Members

Are you referring to the 2 heads as tops?
My SS randall definately has tube harmonics. Is yours a G2 series? I can tell you the G2 series is a step ahead of the first version.
My cab is an R412 made in '91 I think. Same one dimebag used to use.
Build quality is very solid on the rm100. I'd say it's better than the RH and that one is built like a tank. Although the RM is about 70lbs :p.
The sound is much warmer. Hell, it's a tube amp :D.

I don't use both of those Randalls at once. I have the RH over there while the RM was at Randall being looked at. I just haven't taken the other one home 'cause I'm lazy.

• Members

I got the clips recorded. We played fade to black all the way through, plush, and cumbersome. Plus a few of our own. Then the drummer (who's computer it is) screwed something and and we have no more clips, lol. We'll have to wait 'til Tuesday again.

That cap mod did just as I thought on the recto module. It's much tighter.

• Members

Originally posted by MitchSchaft

I got the clips recorded. We played fade to black all the way through, plush, and cumbersome. Plus a few of our own. Then the drummer (who's computer it is) screwed something and and we have no more clips, lol. We'll have to wait 'til Tuesday again.

That cap mod did just as I thought on the recto module. It's much tighter.

So should I send the module? If it's still cool with you, that is...

• Members

With this module it was more of a subtle difference. Sublte, but it took care of the issue I wanted it to. I heard no reduction in bottom end or any boost in the top end like with the Modern module.

Here's the settings I was using:
Master: 3 o'clock
Presence: 3 o'clock
Density: off (7 o'clock)

Module master: 9 o'clock
Gain: 5 o'clock
Bass: 11 o'clock
Middle: 12 o'clock
Trable: 9 o'clock

• Members

Originally posted by Dramius

Forgot, I have this CLIP on DSP! ULTRA module:

Damn - I knew i shouldnt have listened. I wanted one of these things from the crappy clips on the Randall web-site now i REALLY want one.

That was a real nice clip. We need more clips. I wanna hear the XTC and Recto ones too

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

With this module it was more of a subtle difference. Sublte, but it took care of the issue I wanted it to. I heard no reduction in bottom end or any boost in the top end like with the Modern module.

Here's the settings I was using:

Master: 3 o'clock

Presence: 3 o'clock

Density: off (7 o'clock)

Module master: 9 o'clock

Gain: 5 o'clock

Bass: 11 o'clock

Middle: 12 o'clock

Trable: 9 o'clock

So you would recommend doing it or no big deal? :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Dramius

Forgot, I have this CLIP on DSP! ULTRA module:

Any chance you remember your recording setup for that:

Amp EQ, Mic position, any post EQ? etc.

I spent the best part of an hour (with each module) trying to record Ultra and Recto clips on Sunday and got nothing I liked (my RM100 into Mesa Recto 2x12 with v30s)

Archived