The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Hell yeah. I'll try to pm him this afternoon when I got a sec. I can throw in the new cap if you want, too. I'll try it both ways
:D

heh...you break it, you buy it ;-)

I emailed him about it anyways.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, the cap I used was off the TB module and I it was labeled 224j something or another. I swapped 'em out and didn't hear a lick of difference. I don't know if the cap is actually a .0022 or what.

I'm gonna have to suck it up and order some {censored} off the net since I can't find anybody locally the sells 'em.

• Members

I'm running my RM50 combo through a 2x12 that's wired at 8 ohm each speaker, so I'm running the amp on 4 ohm's (with the combo's speaker disconnected). I switch it to 16 ohms when I connect the internal speaker and disconnect the 2x12 cabinet. Hey Shellshock, my combo has always been set to 16 ohms. Even at the store, I checked their other combos, 16 ohms. Weird.

What do you guys think it should cost for my local shop to rewire the cabinet to mono so I can ue the internal combo speaker WITH my 2x12?

• Members

Originally posted by kurtisqpublic

I'm looking to swap a clean or ultra lead for a top boost. I want the top boost.

~Kurt

I got a top boost I'd be happy to swap for the Ultra Lead. I sent you my real email address by PM.

Thx.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by emir44caliber

hey shred, are the egnator modules really that muh better than the randall ones? also can a top boost do a very clean, clean sound?

This may kill my resale but honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference. Some people claim there is becuz supposedly egnator uses better components. I've never tried the Randall SL+. JKD had my SL++ along with his Randall version for a brief stint and may chime in with his impression of the two...

• Members

Originally posted by shred-o-holic

This may kill my resale but honestly I haven't noticed a huge difference. Some people claim there is becuz supposedly egnator uses better components. I've never tried the Randall SL+. JKD had my SL++ along with his Randall version for a brief stint and may chime in with his impression of the two...

OK...so I had the two side by side in the amp. I have to say the only difference really is the extra voicing switch you get on the Eggie vs. the Randall. I didn't study what the voicing switch actually did electrically but it sounded more open in one mode than the other and chances are it shifts the mids.

Unfortunately I think I learned how to dial in the SL+ after I gave shred the Eggie back. I didn't like the SL+ (either version) at first...too unfocussed but the 'secret' is (as with most amps I suppose) to open it up (Channel vol. 9 o'clock, Power amp/Master at 12 o'clock or greater.)

I had been thinking that the SL+ was too dark also....guess what happened after I changed my strings this weekend? Sounded much brighter and the overbearing bass impression I had been getting was almost gone...DOH! (Homer J moment.)

I also discovered the RM100 is *very* boost friendly. I "Bad Monkey'd" it up this weekend:

Level - Max

Low - 9 o'clock

High - 12 to 1:30 o'clock

Gain -

That said - clearly the Egnater version is largely handcrafted. A quick look at it revelead:

1. Different switching - looked like the Eggie version had some sort of relay vs the FET switch on the Randall

2. Higher spec components

3. The board layout looked a little different overall - but this could have just been PCB revisions???

Would it be more reliable long term? I don't know. I think you get a lifetime warranty with the Eggie version but Randall aren't slow on support either (in fact they are awesome!)

Another observation from this weekend (I spent a couple of hrs annoying the wife):

Now I opened the amp up some more (and changed strings)...can actually here a large difference between the Plexi and SL+ modules even when EQ'd similarly.

The Plexi does a mean version of Hangar 18 (with a boost..although it could probably get there without with gain maxed)...am still struggling with recording it though.

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Damnit, JKD, I was gonna jump on that maybe
:p
. I better try this modern out first, though. They tried to deliver it yesterday but I wasn't home.

I want to see if the Ultra Lead is as noisy as my Ultra (in theory it could be noisier...I think it has *more* gain!!!! but maybe more compressed)

If it is quieter then I'll send my Ultra in for service I think.

If I can score the UL then chances are I'll only keep one of 'em so one will be up for sale soon. In any case, am quite happy to lend you my Ultra (or the UL if I get it.)

USPS man returned my Ultra yesterday and I was out too :-/

• Members

@shred-o-holic

Got my Ultra back today..I guess it is kind of noisy but thankfully no noiser than when I sent it....so it didn't get damaged in the mail like you first thought.

With the gain
What's weird is, I put my gate in the loop (series) and it can't kill the hiss....

The other modules I have don't have this problem but then again none of them have gain approaching that of the Ultra (the Recto would be closest)

Archived