The Randall MTS thread.

aepoc

• Members
Originally posted by JKD

Any chance you remember your recording setup for that:

Amp EQ, Mic position, any post EQ? etc.

Dont recall everything, the gain was below 12:00, lows were pretty turned down, I try to keep some round mids in there in there, highs up & not much presence. Had an SM57 around 10-12" out from the center of a V30. I believe no post EQing. I use an ART voiced valve mic-pre, but probably neutral settings.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Dramius

Dont recall everything, the gain was below 12:00, lows were pretty turned down, I try to keep some round mids in there in there & not much presence. Had an SM57 around 10-12" out from the center of a V30.

Settings pretty similar to what I was using but I think the key is:

"Had an SM57 around 10-12" out from the center of a V30."

I have been close miking (like 1 to 2 inches from the cone..right against the grille cloth) since everyone seems to do this with pretty good results. I really need to do something else, because I'm not happy with any of my recordings.

You must have had it very loud to be a foot off the cab ;-)

• Members
Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Are you referring to the 2 heads as tops?

My SS randall definately has tube harmonics. Is yours a G2 series? I can tell you the G2 series is a step ahead of the first version.

My cab is an R412 made in '91 I think. Same one dimebag used to use.

Build quality is very solid on the rm100. I'd say it's better than the RH and that one is built like a tank. Although the RM is about 70lbs
:p

The sound is much warmer. Hell, it's a tube amp
:D

I don't use both of those Randalls at once. I have the RH over there while the RM was at Randall being looked at. I just haven't taken the other one home 'cause I'm lazy.

My RH100 isn't a G2, it does have more specs, but the distortions are the same, really. I pretty much only use the overdrive so, I got a 2004 RH100, my brother has got a 2002 head, and the clean is actually quite different, mine is much better/more open sound, but ok, so with the RM100 i'll have a big improvement.

Have you got any idea or experiences how the RM100 sounds through the R412CX cabinets? they're loaded with celestion seventy80's.

• Members

That's weird that you and your bro have the same amp but they sound different:eek:. I can tell you the G2 will whoop up on that G1 :p.

I'm still pissed those clips got screwed. I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow now.:mad:

I'd recommend going ahead with that cap mod for the recto if you want to tighten up the bottom end. I'll get the clips up tomorrow night if he doesn't mess it up again.

• Members
Originally posted by JKD

Settings pretty similar to what I was using but I think the key is:

"Had an SM57 around 10-12" out from the center of a V30."

I have been close miking (like 1 to 2 inches from the cone..right against the grille cloth) since everyone seems to do this with pretty good results. I really need to do something else, because I'm not happy with any of my recordings.

You must have had it very loud to be a foot off the cab ;-)

;) I have it just loud enough to sound good & ballsy as i sit in front of the cab, not blaring, just good & tough. Having the mic about a foot away allows it to pick up more of the whole speakers harmonics. I think it gets a little brittle & bassy if too close.

• Members

Hi all,
I'm having a beast of a time getting the upper panel off the back of my randall 2x12 cabinet. Has anyone used their rig with an open back 2x12? How dos it compare to the sound of the closed back 2x12 or a 4x12? I want to know if I should continue trying to get this thing loose!
:)
~Kurt

• Members

I think it gets a little brittle & bassy if too close.

That is exactly the problem I am having..I solved the bassy part with EQ (the proximity effect probably isn't helping here)....but brittle sounding ya can't get rid of so easily. Am having this problem with all amps..so it's definately mic'ing technique (pre-amp I'll discount because some peopel using PC sound cards and sounding OK!)

I just wonder how other people manage it..I've read countless descriptions of "1 inch of the cloth"...

I've had the recording gear a few months now...back when I first got it I was at 4 to 6 inches back...aftter reading the above in so many places, I started close micing to try and capture the sound.

Anyway...gonna try again with the mic back 6 inches or more.

The reason I figured you were loud is because I'm at 2 inches off the cone withe the E609 and my pre-amp (MBox) is on about 3/4 full already. Recording with the RM100 Master on about 11 o'clock.

I was recording M.O.P. with the Ultra module and it sounds great in the room :-D

• Members

Right on! If it sounds good in front of the amp, then the trick is just getting it recorded! But you got it, its not easy. View it basicly; 2 mics are tricky & phase anomalies occur, & we dont like the sound with our ear to the grill, but mics dont work like our ear, so find the compromise. I like it back about 10-12"

Another technique that works 4 me: a large diaphragm condensor about 3-6' directly in front of the cab, precisely between all 4 speakers to avoid phase problems. That gets all 4 speakers & some cab sound. ;)

So how did your MOP come out sounding?

• Members

So how did your MOP come out sounding?

Brittle and bassy - swinging between any mix of the two depending on how far laterally from the center of the cone I was .... only 1 to 2 inches distance ;-)

For what it's worth my wife opened the door to the garage and said..that sounds really good (as I was playing and after the 30th time of playing the same intro riffs...) so I'm pretty sure it's my recording that sucks!

If I get time before daughter(s) bedtime tonight...I will try further back with my SM57 or MD421.

• Members

Originally posted by shred-o-holic

A subtle or huge difference? Does it sabotage the bottom end as that other guy was saying?

I must say that the modded recto module is different and better. It sounded bad on pre-mod settings but now I've found great sounding settings with it.

• Members

Originally posted by MitchSchaft

He used the word and I used it back to him so I could convey a message. I wasn't talking to you so find another thread to start {censored} in.

Go cry to your mama.

Gibberish is gibberish.

Now grow up and YOU stop starting {censored}.

I was just calling you on something and trying to clarify what that was supposed to mean.

• Members

Modding a good amp would be like Rebeca Romjin-Stamos getting plastic surgery.
;)
Best saved for the modules with problems. Ive got a Rectal module Ill try it on.

So it won't make it a wee bit better? Maybe the XTC modules already have the diff caps since they are newer? I wish RD/man would chime in....

• Members

It absolutely makes a difference. A good difference, imo. It's not our fault that Randall put .074u caps in these things instead of .001u caps :p.
I wish he'd chime in and tell us why they decided not to go with .001 stock. Besides, it's fun for me to tinker around.

• Members

Just a quick question.

Is it possible to just only have TWO modules in a THREE modules head? I only want two at this time, also because of the money.

other question, what modules are right to get a sound like The Offspring, NOFX, Avenged Sevenfold, Green Day, punk/rock/punk-metal/ ish sound?

I'm thinking of the XTC and Recto. Please give me some help here, thanx.

• Members

Originally posted by gibsonmansg

I just do the cap mod on my recto module, and it works perfect for me.

Is it mondo metal tight now, or does it still have personality to it? I want my recto module tighter, but not so tight that it sounds like an Engl.

Archived