"CLIP" - Best 1x12 Combo I've Ever Played...approx. $500 US :)

Randy Van Sykes

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

:D
...the footswitch has 2 switches on it but I only used the one that changes channels..I don't know if the second switch turns off the reverb or the effect loop.
:D
Too busy playing it last night to figure it out...sorry.

Hey RVS, the second button is the boost for the gain channel. Try it with the gain around where you have had it (6-7), gently it's quite a boost not really manageable to my ear over 7 on the gain.
Scott

• Members
Originally posted by mid_crisis

Hey RVS, the second button is the boost for the gain channel. Try it with the gain around where you have had it (6-7), gently it's quite a boost not really manageable to my ear over 7 on the gain.

Scott

Thanks Scott...I would have figured it out eventually.... ;)
I figured it would be a reverb on/off switch...a gain boost is much more useful. :)

• Members

Randy,
All I can say is sweet sweet sweet.

Amazing playing on the first clip. The amp sounds awsome. I love that tone your getting out of it. What kinda axe are you using?

Enjoy your new amp bro.

Damn that thing sounds good. Might have to check one of those out and pick one up.

• Members

Enjoyed reading this thread, mainly because I have been debating between the 50blue and the 20WR. Did you play that one too? I like them both and can't seem to make up my mind.

BTW, where did you find one for that price? The best I can get is $749:confused:

Wicked clip too!

• Members

Walked into my local music store and my friend that works there literaly dragged me over to this new 1x12 offering from Traynor.

Traynor Custom Valve 50BLUE 50 watt loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30...sounds like a little vicious Marshall...tons of gain on tap...very smooth.
:)

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011337_proj.mp3

Website info....

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=318

How the heck did I miss this thread ?

Very Cool as usual bro!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Slaytallica

Randy,

All I can say is sweet sweet sweet.

Amazing playing on the first clip. The amp sounds awsome. I love that tone your getting out of it. What kinda axe are you using?

Enjoy your new amp bro.

Damn that thing sounds good. Might have to check one of those out and pick one up.

Thanks Slaytallica. :)
I used a Wolfgang Special for the clips.

• Members
Originally posted by Diende McAuk

Enjoyed reading this thread, mainly because I have been debating between the 50blue and the 20WR. Did you play that one too? I like them both and can't seem to make up my mind.

BTW, where did you find one for that price? The best I can get is $749:confused:

Wicked clip too!

Traynor 20WR....
I've haven't played that amp, looks killer..."Wine Red leatherette covering, oatmeal speaker grille, Celestion Greenback speaker....".
I bet it sounds really nice...but at class 'A' and only 15 watts, unfortunately it wouldn't be an option for gigging for me, my drummer hits really hard.

Definately gonna check this one out ...thanks for the head's up. :)

The 50Blue amp had a $769 CAN price tag on it at my local store. I just asked what's the cheapest you can let it go for....$675 CAN he says...I know the guy though. But the price should be pretty negotiable on it if he can just take a $100 off on the spot like that.

• Members
Originally posted by Combat Chuck

this is the most gas i've had in a long time
:(

Sorry! :(

But it could be worse...it could cost over $1000. ;)
If you see it in a store, plug in and give it a try-out...it really was not what I was expecting form an open back 1x12 combo.

• Members
Originally posted by JT1

Randy, I was wondering if you've played the JSX at all? The 212 combo is coming out in about a week. I've been waiting for that but this may also do the trick.

I was kinda only interested in an affordable, convenient 1x12 combo, that didn't sound 'small' like most 1x12 combos.

The JSX combo will be a popular seller I bet...If you could try both out and post a review that would be great, I'd love to hear the comparison. :)

• Members
Originally posted by PuppetOfMasters

Killer tone & playing. Do you have a pic of the amp? It was only 500 bucks too? I may have to check one out for myself. What kind of recording gear do you use?

Thanks bro... :)
I picked it up for under seven bills CDN, I figured it could be had for around $550 US...but I guess with import duty and all it's gonna run more in the $600-$650 range in the States.

Miked it with a 57...M-Audio soundcard...into puter. :)

Here's a pick of the little beast...

ycv50blue.jpg

• Members

Thanks bro...
I picked it up for under seven bills CDN, I figured it could be had for around $550 US...but I guess with import duty and all it's gonna run more in the $600-$650 range in the States.

Miked it with a 57...M-Audio soundcard...into puter.

Here's a pick of the little beast...

ycv50blue.jpg

Randy! Awesome tone and playing, as usual!

*cough* Bastard! *cough* :D:p

I read that there is a fooswitchable boost option with this amp. Does it actually increase your volume a bit for solos/leads?

• Members
Originally posted by JT1

Just snagged one for $559 w/ free shipping. Be here in 3 days.

Hey Randy, got a clean channel clip?

:eek:

Good score!

Cleans sound really good...even though I sorta prefer a darker clean tone...I enjoyed the clean tone alot when I gigged with it...very Fendery...the amp has a bright (presence) switch, which was very useful.

• Members
Originally posted by sonixx

What attracted you to the Traynor over a Carvin VL212?

How is the Traynor voiced differently than the Legacy?

Have you tried your Marshall Cab with the Traynor?

-Keith-

I still love my Legacy...it's so smoooth sounding, it's not going anywhere...The Legacy will be my "I need to be really stupid loud" amp. :D

The Traynor is smaller and lighter and half the power so I don't need to use the Hotpate when I gig with it. It definately cuts in the higher mids a bit more than the Legacy...in a real good way.

I pulled a Greenback out of the Marshall cab today and put it in the Traynor...I'm gonna try it out at the gig tonight to see how that sounds. :)

• Members

I'm glad this thread is up, but I still can't decide on which way to go on my next combo. I was about to go buy one of those new Crate Palominos until I read this. Now I'm having second thoughts (posted a thread for suggestions between the two but to no avail :( )...The Palominos are also getting pretty gushing reviews. A very good clean channel is very important to me. If I were to buy one of these, I have an extra Vintage 30 to swap in. I wonder how much that would help. Like Randy, I'm also a fan of a "darker or warmer" clean. Do you know of what type of target of style or purpose that they intended to market this to? The gain seems great, but I def. wouldn't want to sacrifice on clean at all.

Archived