"CLIP" - Best 1x12 Combo I've Ever Played...approx. $500 US :)

Randy Van Sykes

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

diode clipping...? Does that mean that it does not use the tubes for distortion? Does that mean that it will sound exactly the same and won't give powertube distortion when cranked? I'm a little confused... :confused:

And another Q... Is that Vintage 30 broken in? If it sounds this good quiet and with the speaker not broken in. Imagine cranked with a broken in v30 :cool:

ok, 2 more Questions. Is it openback or closed?

and, when you take it out, let us know how much headroom it has.

thanks

• Members
Originally posted by Combat Chuck

diode clipping...? Does that mean that it does not use the tubes for distortion? Does that mean that it will sound exactly the same and won't give powertube distortion when cranked? I'm a little confused...
:confused:

And another Q... Is that Vintage 30 broken in? If it sounds this good quiet and with the speaker not broken in. Imagine cranked with a broken in v30
:cool:

thanks

Think of diode clipping as a built-in OD pedal.

• Members
Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

I like this part of the movie best...

Tommy DeVito: Hey, here's a leg. Here's a wing.

[He laughs]

Tommy DeVito: Hey, what do you like, the leg or the wing, Henry? Or do you still go for the old hearts and lungs?

[Henry vomits]

Jeez... I gotta rent that movie again... What scene was that from? Was that when they're sawing apart the fat guys body? or am I thinking of another mob movie.

Oh nevermind I found it... :D

• Members

diode clipping...? Does that mean that it does not use the tubes for distortion? Does that mean that it will sound exactly the same and won't give powertube distortion when cranked? I'm a little confused...
:confused:

And another Q... Is that Vintage 30 broken in? If it sounds this good quiet and with the speaker not broken in. Imagine cranked with a broken in v30
:cool:

thanks

I actually asked the tech at the store when I grabbed it yesterday if it had diodes in the preamp, because I thought this amp sounded way to good at low volumes, he told me "no"...
Playing it live tonight will be the make or break....on whether I purchase it or not.
Right now, all I know is that it's a cool recording amp and great for playing hard rock tones at bedroom level...

• Members

I actually asked the tech at the store when I grabbed it yesterday if it had diodes in the preamp, because I thought this amp sounded way to good at low volumes, he told me "no"...

Playing it live tonight will be the make or break....on whether I purchase it or not.

Right now, all I know is that it's a cool recording amp and great for playing hard rock tones at bedroom level...

alrighty! well let us know!

• Members

hmmmmmm. can that be a good thing? does it even use the tubes for overdrive? and how well does it clean up when you pick softer/roll back volume?

I don't think it uses diodes in the pre...that's what I've been told...even if it does, if it sounds good it is good.
It uses 3 12ax7's and 2 EL34's...it is definately a tube amp. :)

Way da start rumours RoboPimp...let's see your schematic...

• Members

hmmmmmm. can that be a good thing? does it even use the tubes for overdrive? and how well does it clean up when you pick softer/roll back volume?

It's not a bad thing at all...

The Marshall Jubilee and Slash amps both have/had diode clipping in them and they rock.

• Members

Yorkville has the schematics for their amps on their website. Here is the one for the YCV40, and here for the 50BLUE.

Great clips, by the way. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an YCV40 into a 50, and if so, how difficult this is? The schematics seem to suggest that they're largely the same.

• Members

It was not loud at all....looking forward to hearing it cranked up.

Nice alternative to my back-breaker for those smaller gigs...check it out Gary
:)

I can't wait to hear you record it cranked! I really love the sound of that amp. I have downloaded and saved both clips of it now...
I am really going to look for one. I may have to order one to try it but what the heck, I am only out the shipping if it won't do for me!

Gary

BTW, I forgot to comment! KILLER PLAYING MAN!!!!!!!!

• Members

Walked into my local music store and my friend that works there literaly dragged me over to this new 1x12 offering from Traynor.

Traynor Custom Valve 50BLUE 50 watt loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30...sounds like a little vicious Marshall...tons of gain on tap...very smooth.
:)

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011337_proj.mp3

Website info....

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=318

Guitar sounds great ,song reminds me of something Jeff Beck might have put on Blow by Blow.:D:cool: :cool: :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ArthurS

Yorkville has the schematics for their amps on their website.
is the one for the YCV40, and
for the 50BLUE.

Great clips, by the way. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert an YCV40 into a 50, and if so, how difficult this is? The schematics seem to suggest that they're largely the same.

Hey thanks for the link.

I looked at the circuit and while there are diodes in there, I didn't see one that would serve as an added distortion machanism. Unless somebody can point them out to me, I would say this amp does not use diode clipping as a base of its sound.

• Members

Yep....She stays. :)
It sounded really nice cranked up and kept up with a hard hitting drummer easily...I had a great time gigging with it...and the soundman liked it too (I know him well, he has really good ears and is not easily impressed).
Great little rock amp. No doubt I'll be switching out the speakers in it all the time...I think I'll try an H30 first. :)

Archived