Best 80's hair tone?

TWPietz37

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Having heard Mark Kendall live numerous times including opening for the band a couple times,I'd definitely say him. He always had perfect rock guitar tone. I liked Cinderella's tone as well. 38 Special,do they qualify? Definitely Black Crowes,if they have enough of the 80's as well. I will say that Dokken had a pretty hot guitar sound. Much better than a lot of the overdone stuff. Oops,I forgot Jackyl. I love the way the guitar just jumps out of your stereo speakers on DOWN ON ME,etc.

• Members

John Sykes

Eddie Van Halen (Marshall years) ;)

Ronnie LeTekro

Brian May

Warren DeMartini

Blues Saraceno

George Lynch (ULAK)

Steve lukather (Boogie Years!)

Stryper (say what you will but I dig their tone!!)

Brad Gillis

Harry Cody on the Second coming album

Michael Schenker

Matthias Jabs

Dann Huff

Dave Meniketti

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

I don't know his name...but does anyone remember the guitarist for the band TNT?

I remember freaking over his tone and playing in the late 80's.
:)

Ronnie LeTekro is his name

and one of my favorite guitar tones ever.

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

John Sykes

Eddie Van Halen (Marshall years)
;)
Ronnie LeTekro

Brian May

Warren DeMartini

Blues Saraceno

George Lynch (ULAK)

Steve lukather (Boogie Years!)

Stryper (say what you will but I dig their tone!!)

Brad Gillis

Harry Cody on the Second coming album

Michael Schenker

Matthias Jabs

Dann Huff

Dave Meniketti

BTW...that is a great list...I'd move Gillis up near the top though... ;)

Actually it's kinda funny...alot of my favorite guitar tones of all time are a Mesa Mk series amp...yet I've never played one? :confused: :confused:

• Members

BTW...that is a great list...I'd move Gillis up near the top though...
;)

Actually it's kinda funny...alot of my favorite guitar tones of all time are a Mesa Mk series amp...yet I've never played one?
:confused:

Yeah, I could definitley MOve Gillis up a few notches lol :D

You really should look into the Boogs!! I think that you would love them. I can get so many different tones from them... Definitley my all time favorite amps (does sykes to a T !! ) :D

BTW, I also forgot to add ICON to the list. They had some killer tone to IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by SgtThump

I do too! Any idea what gear they used on that tune? Guitars sound great!

Chris

I agree on the guitars and i'm pretty sure it was just a Les Paul through a JCM 800 but i'm not positive on the Marshall. They actually had great tone on their first two disc's. I stand alone was another favorite for kick ass guitar riffing.

• Members

YA!!

Check this little clip out (for those who haven't heard him)..one of the tightest tones I've ever heard with an insane picking hand.

That track is called "Smooth Syncopation" (SP) Killer playing. Ronnie used the Eventide Harmonizer on alot of his guitar work. I was waiting for the song Childs Play to start after that clip... You're a tease! My favorite TNT song has to be "Listen to Your Heart." If you haven't heard it check it out!

Ralphie

• Members

'Been a forum outsider for years, might as well make this my first post.

Gary Moore "Corridors of Power" outro solo to "Cold Hearted" is a good example of great "80's tone."

Ronnie Montrose's Gamma work but particularly "Mean Streak"

Eddie Van Halen's "Take Your Whiskey Home" tones fueled an entire generation of motivated slingers.

John Sykes "Cryin in the Rain" is a masterpiece of metal tone

George Lynch's "So Many Tears" outro solo is one of my favs from Mr. Scary but when push comes to shove, my favorite 80's tone is:

Warren DiMartini's "Lay it Down." This is an encyclopedia of Aqua Net-inspired delicious metal goodness.

My .02

• Members

YA!!

Check this little clip out (for those who haven't heard him)..one of the tightest tones I've ever heard with an insane picking hand.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000142424_000011779_proj.mp3

dude that is some sickass playin right there!!!:eek:

the tone is incredible! kinda similar to the tone im after in my head i guess!

what gear did he use?

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by Maxx61

'Been a forum outsider for years, might as well make this my first post.

Gary Moore "Corridors of Power" outro solo to "Cold Hearted" is a good example of great "80's tone."

Ronnie Montrose's Gamma work but particularly "Mean Streak"

Eddie Van Halen's "Take Your Whiskey Home" tones fueled an entire generation of motivated slingers.

John Sykes "Cryin in the Rain" is a masterpiece of metal tone

George Lynch's "No More Tears" outro solo is one of my favs from Mr. Scary but when push comes to shove, my favorite 80's tone is:

Warren Dimartini's "Lay it Down." This is an encyclopedia of Aqua Net-inspired delicious metal goodness.

My .02

+1 on the Gary Moore and John Sykes in particular!!! iv always loved Gary Moore's tone and John Sykes..... what can i say:eek:

Dan

• Members

BTW...that is a great list...I'd move Gillis up near the top though...
;)

Actually it's kinda funny...alot of my favorite guitar tones of all time are a Mesa Mk series amp...yet I've never played one?

Funny how Jeff Watson gets NO love, yet he took half the solos in that band. I actually grew tired of Willis' going whammy freak-out on damned near every song. Watson's 80's LP/Mesa Boogie tones were just as cool to me as what ever Willis was doing on the other side of the stage.

+1000 on Gary Moore "Corridors Of Power". Awesome reckless Strat-through-a-dimed-Marshall tones. Big points for having Ian Paice drumming on that disc, too!

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

Funny how Jeff Watson gets NO love, yet he took half the solos in that band. I actually grew tired of Willis' going whammy freak-out on damned near every song. Watson's 80's LP/Mesa Boogie tones were just as cool to me as what ever Willis was doing on the other side of the stage.

+1000 on Gary Moore "Corridors Of Power". Awesome reckless Strat-through-a-dimed-Marshall tones. Big points for having Ian Paice drumming on that disc, too!

Oh Bro, I agree... I liked Watson better in night ranger and the whammy flutter trick that gillis did every five mins got old quick!!

We used to joke and say the Brad had a whammy bar surgically implanted in his hand lol!

The only reason why I am mentioning Gillis' tone over Watsons is because of the live Ozzy disc. I prefered that tone over the nightranger tone accept for the sister Christian solo tone.

• Members

I was too little to remember the 80s much but... my vote goes to journey. I always dug Schon's early tones.

I don't know what year it was released but "don't stop believin" is one of my alltime favorite guitar sounds caught on tape.

If anybody knows what amps were used... ... say it. saaaaay it. sayit. saaaayet.

Archived