Best 80's hair tone?

TWPietz37

• Members

My Fave 80's style tones:

John Sykes on Whitesnake's 1987 album

Brad Gillis on Speak Of The Devil

Dann Huff on Whitesnake's Here I Go Again and the Giant stuff.

Gary Moore on Wild Frontier/After The War. We Want Moore was awesome too but that was a rawer, less processed tone.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1 under lock and key

2whitesnake-whitesnake

3badlands-badlands

p.s. I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS THAT ARE EVEN ANSWERING THIS BECAUSE IT JUST SHOWS HOW MUCH WE ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THE HELL WERE TAKING ABOUT AS FAR AS MUSIC AND TALENT

• Members

Originally posted by JLeurck

+1000 on Gary Moore "Corridors Of Power". Awesome reckless Strat-through-a-dimed-Marshall tones. Big points for having Ian Paice drumming on that disc, too!

+ 2000. I have that on vinyl - never ceases to put a big smile on my face everytime I hear that. :)

• Members

Originally posted by blackstratblues

Gary Moore on Wild Frontier/After The War. We Want Moore was awesome too but that was a rawer, less processed tone.

I only picked up the Wild Frontier CD recently and im crazy over the playing n tones on that album! i had about four songs off the album on a best of cd n they all sounded amazing!

I think Moore is such an under rated player, specifically with his earlier hard rock playing! its absolutely blistering!

Dan

• Members

Are U guys a Bunch of OLD GEEZERS or what ????????????????

BTW -

How about DEF LEOPARD BRING ON THE somethin' or other !!??!!

Iron Maiden - Steve Vai - Angus Young - etc ?????

And if not - then why the HELL is 80's tone not anywhere

to be found today here in the USA.

What about you EU people out there is Def Leopards 80's

tone considering taboo there too as well ??

there sure WAS and I mean WAS alot good tone to go around

back then. Not anymore and its pissing me off that I'm forced to

listen to same old songs OVER and OVER to hear anything decent

anymore. I don't like living in the past !!

I guess its up to us then boys - so lets stop talking about it

and get to work and start ripping the FREAKin Place UP !!!

I swear if I have to keep being assaulted by these DethMetal and RAP No Talents for another decade I'm gonna put a gun in my

mouth. I much rather take my SPLAWNs and shove them up the

collective ass of today music industry.

May they all F. E. D.

F*ck OFF

Eat SH*T

And DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I've been listening to Gary ever since his Skid Row days and his Wild Frontier work was amazing, with the Celtic influenced "Take A Little Time" song particularly smoking. The way he builds that solo, the first time I heard it, I thought I'd crap my pants. Few players can do in so little time what Gary does. He seemed (back in his metal days) to be able to construct a solo using all the popular metal tricks of the day and STILL make it sound musical and not an exercise. Still, one would be hard pressed to find anything he's done that matches his solo to "Empty Rooms" and god forbid, NOT the keyboard version; but the original.

On another note, his rendition of Roy Buchanan's "The Messiah Will Come Again" is simply astonishing. If you younger cats haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and give it two ears.

One more metal tone from the 80's I dug but I'm definitely aging myself.

Vivian Campbell's "Just Another Day" off DIO's Sacred Heart album. You can hear a bit of Gary Moore in Vivian's playing. I believe, at the time, Vivian was cranking his Charvel through a Marshall JCM800. Can't get any more 80's than that!

• Members

My vote goes to Ty Tabor of King's X. When I heard "Out Of The Silent Planet" and "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" I freaked out. Those sounds were incredible.

I also agree with Mark Kendall's tone (big time, his tone still sounds great live).

Stryper had some great tone.

Dann Huff is also in there.

Steve Lukather, EVH, Schon, Moore, damn...all these names make me wanna re-discover some music I have on the shelf.

• Members

I'm going to go with:

John Sykes .. saw him with Blue Murder .amazing tone and it was at the Chile cookoff in Long beach ...outside no backdrop etc.

The guy from "the Scream" also had tone for days (listen to "Man in the Moon"

The first Whitsnake tour w/o Sykes ...was Vivian Campbell and Adrian Vandenberg...great tone.

Another vote for Kendell .

Lynch until he got lynched mob. Saw Dokken twice at Irvine Meadows ..once with Scorpions and I think Great white. He sounded great...then saw the Lynch Mob in one of the first shows not so hot...then my band opened from LM a couple years ago amaziningly horrible ...tuned down to C# or something...just unitellagble mush.

Some other bands with well produced lps...SKid Row, Cinderella, LA Guns ...tracy had some good tone.

Those are the ones that come to mind...

• Members

Originally posted by Maxx61

Warren DiMartini's "Lay it Down." This is an encyclopedia of Aqua Net-inspired delicious metal goodness.

My .02

+1

The correct answer.

Oh that def song is "Bringing on the heart break", and it's at the top of my tone list too! Anyone remember the original video of that song? They were like 16 years old. How the hell did the do that/ DAMN:eek:

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

I agree on the guitars and i'm pretty sure it was just a Les Paul through a JCM 800 but i'm not positive on the Marshall. They actually had great tone on their first two disc's. I stand alone was another favorite for kick ass guitar riffing.

Yep it sounds like a good healthy Marshall with the mids and presence turned up.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I agree on the guitars and i'm pretty sure it was just a Les Paul through a JCM 800 but i'm not positive on the Marshall. They actually had great tone on their first two disc's. I stand alone was another favorite for kick ass guitar riffing.

i'm surprised to see jackyl on here. i just broke this disc out last week and it's full of great stuff. and great tone. got a chance to see these guys a few times and they are pretty good live too. rock me, roll me, jackyl me off. :)

and i'd throw in faster pussycat. i love their tone too. still.

and shout at the devil and later motley crue.

oddly enough, i always took my inspiration from the 80s but the more i listen to songs from that era, the more i think most of it is overprocessed and fake sounding shite. i guess my tastes have changed a lot. there's a lot of good stuff from then, but more bad tone than i'd like to remember. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Randy Van Sykes

BTW...that is a great list...I'd move Gillis up near the top though...
;)

Actually it's kinda funny...alot of my favorite guitar tones of all time are a Mesa Mk series amp...yet I've never played one?
:confused:
:confused:

Me too, that's why i bought a Boogie.:D

• Members

Brooke St, James of Tyketto had probably the best tone of any of the 80's era players. Although their debut release was in 1990, it was the same style.

Others that I like:

Mick Mars- Shout at the Devil.

George Lynch- Under Lock & Key.

Wolf Hoffman/Jorg Fisher- Balls to the Wall.

Steve Vai- Eat 'em & Smile.

Vito Bratta- Pride.

Brad Gillis- Midnight Madness.

John Sykes- Whitesnake.

Dave Meniketti- every record they released.

Lanny Cordolla- House of Lords.

Richie Sambora- 7800 & Slippery When Wet.

Ronnie Le Tekro- Tell No Tales.

Glen Tipton/K.K. Downing- Defenders of the Faith.

Archived