Best hard drive mp3 player bang-for-the-buck??

yeagermeister

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Archos Gmini 120 if you can find one, got mine from J&R last month for $160. 20GBs, line-in recording to WAV (I record our rehearsals on it), acts as a external HDD so it doesn't require software with Win2K/XP.

• Members

Originally posted by TheChopsyWanker

Creative Zen Touch. Cheaper than the Ipod and much better sound quality, although the included headphones are crap.

+1 I have the 20gb one and its voice recorder/FM radio features are another +

• Members

iRiver!

Cannot beat those guys on quality! My iRiver H140 has lasted and lasted through rough train rides, recording at gigs and is still standing strong.

I gave up on my iPod after about a month! Returned it, got the iRiver and never looked back!

Jon

• Members

Originally posted by ducky_x

RCA Lycra. (i don't think RCA is good at all, but it was the only one that i found that accepted SD cards)

50 bucks to replace a 500M SD card. Why would you go HD?

Because 50 bucks for a 500MB card is 10 MB per dollar and a 60GB iPod at $400 is 150MB per dollar?

Maybe my definition of bang-for-buck is different than other peoples...

• Members

Originally posted by ducky_x

RCA Lycra. (i don't think RCA is good at all, but it was the only one that i found that accepted SD cards)

50 bucks to replace a 500M SD card. Why would you go HD?

easy. if i buy a player with 20GB of disk space, which is small these days, it does the job of 40 of these cards... which would cost you two-thousand dollars. why would i ever want to worry about changing a card, when it's also going to be considerably more expensive to do so?

• Members

Originally posted by Zimphire

Nothing overpriced about it. You get what you pay for.

Ever priced super fast firewire drives? Small ones?

Yeah. You can get a 4GB iPod Mini for about the same price as a 5GB Rio Carbon (and a 6GB Mini for about $50 more). That's close enough in price to go with the one that you feel works best for you as opposed to the sheer storage capacity.

• Members

{censored} IPOD. My wife has an IPOD mini which is 4gb and costs $200. My creative Zen Jukebox is 30gb and cost right around $200. You do the math. And you don't have to deal with {censored}-tunes to load your music. The IPOD is small and cute, that's why women like them!

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

iRiver!

Cannot beat those guys on quality! My iRiver H140 has lasted and lasted through rough train rides, recording at gigs and is still standing strong.

You know, I've had an iRiver SlimX IMP-350 for several years now that gets used everytime I drive, that thing's a workhorse, just keeps going without issue.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

{censored} IPOD. My wife has an IPOD mini which is 4gb and costs $200. My creative Zen Jukebox is 30gb and cost right around $200. You do the math. And you don't have to deal with {censored}-tunes to load your music. The IPOD is small and cute, that's why women like them!

Werd.

I plan on getting one soon as well, but instead of the Zen bull{censored}, Im going to get an Iriver. from the little research Ive done it looks like the best bang for the buck, and you can drag and drop from your hardrive over to it, which is 1000 times cooler than Itunes/Ipod IMO.

• Members

I was just checking the iriver site - do they even have a 60gb model? I started with a 5GB ipod when they first came out and now have a 40. Never had a problem with them. But the big color screen of an iriver would look snazzy in the car. :D

ps - you can drag and drop files on an iPod (Show Hidden Files in Windows Explorer) or by using something like Ephpod...

• Members

I bought an iAUDIO M3 for $250 and that thing is sweet. The iAUDIO M3 and especially the X5 are my personal reccomendtions. ANybody who wants a HD player needs to give the X5 a good look before they decide on anythign else. The feature sets and sound shaping tools for iAUDIO players are leagues above and beyond other HD players(Karma has the best eq though). Other than that, the Rio Karma, Creative Zen Touch, Sony NWHD players, etc kill the iPOD in every way.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

Werd.

I plan on getting one soon as well, but instead of the Zen bull{censored}, Im going to get an Iriver. from the little research Ive done it looks like the best bang for the buck, and you can drag and drop from your hardrive over to it, which is 1000 times cooler than Itunes/Ipod IMO.

dude - you will not be dissapointed - the only thing my iriver doesn't do is cook breakfast.

Archived