Best hard drive mp3 player bang-for-the-buck??

yeagermeister

• Members
Originally posted by Grubgoat

Anyway, is there anything in production out there that truly matches the Karma? I'm getting $320 from Curcuit City, I'm wondering if I should just cash it out and get a few Karma's off ebay...

Get another Karma. You know you want one. :p

Seriously though, the reason I like these things is that they're SOOO serviceable should something go wrong and come w/ many great features most other players don't have. You've basically got 6 parts - case, mainboard, battery, screen, firmware (on rio's website), and hard drive. All of the hardware parts can be found readily on eBay for cheap, and can be swapped out easily should something go awry. I bought mine for $80 total. $50 for a Karma w/ a broken screen and $30 for a replacement LCD. Voila. Instant 20 Gig iPud killer. You can hack them for a 40 gig hard drive too if you want. It's easy to do.

They rule.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got an IAudio X5 and this is by far the best player I've tried. The sound quality far surpasses the Ipods, Creative's and IRivers. My model is the 20gb and it has more features than any of the others. It plays all file types (mp3, ogg, flac, wma, etc..) except Acc. It also has an FM tuner, voice recorder and line in/out jacks. The color screen is gorgeous and it can also play movies, which I was surprised came out really well. The biggest selling point for me after the sound quality was the battery life - 35 hrs!!! So far on my 1st charge I've transferred 15 gig to it and listened to about 16 hours of music and watched two full length movies (had long lay overs while travelling over the weekend) and the battery is just now hitting 50%.

I don't believe you can buy these in traditional stores just yet, but you can pick them up at NewEgg.com. They are a little pricey, but you are getting what you pay for.

IAudio X5

A777_X5L_30G_280.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

The iAudio does look really sweet and packed with features!!!

It really is as good as it sounds. I'm still running it on its original charge (although I'll probably have to charge it tonight). Its pretty close to it's 35 hour claim.

I also tested the voice recorder at band practice and it sounded pretty decent. I'm going to try hooking a mic up to the LINE IN port at our gig this weekend and see how it comes out.

Also, this thing is built like a tank!!! Think of it as a BOSS version of mp3 players.

• Members

Originally posted by Blues In Me

It really is as good as it sounds. I'm still running it on its original charge (although I'll probably have to charge it tonight). Its pretty close to it's 35 hour claim.

I also tested the voice recorder at band practice and it sounded pretty decent. I'm going to try hooking a mic up to the LINE IN port at our gig this weekend and see how it comes out.

Also, this thing is built like a tank!!! Think of it as a BOSS version of mp3 players.

It looks pretty sweet. I have a Sony NW-HD3 that I like a lot. But if it tanks, I might consider something else. The good thing about it is that it has a built in theft system.. sort of. You have to register your player and only one can write to it music not purchased through Connect. So basically, if it gets stolen, it's useless. At first I thought it was a hassle because I registered my work computer first but I think it's a cool idea.

Archived