Peters "Classic Overdrive" clip, ZZ Top

JamesPeters

• Members

Sounds cool! The rhythm has maybe a little bit more sizzle than I like but the lead tone and the cleanish thing in the start sounds great.

I'd love to hear a clip showcasing the lead tones, maybe some Gary Moore or Santana song?

• Members
Originally posted by JamesPeters

Thanks!

Sorry but I'm not a Santana fan. I don't mind some earlier stuff but the later stuff doesn't do much for me.

We'll see more about lead stuff later when a local customer receives his amp with a Lead Overdrive channel. As it is I think this clip showcases the COD's lead capability fairly well. It is meant for classic overdrive after all.
:)

As for the sizzle...well if you heard the actual wave file you might prefer it. MP3 encoding does add artifacts and it's a balancing act. Either let it get really dull and flat sounding or try to bring out some detail and deal with a bit of sizzle. That's sort of the deal. If you're listening on small computer speakers, that's going to add more sizzle too of course. Through my headphones (AKG K240) it sounds pretty good anyway.

I don't like newer Santana much either. Anyway, I was listening using headphones..could be the MP3 or could be that it could've used just a little bit less gain when recording.

• Members

Mushy...yeah I might agree but that makes no sense at all.

Listen to the first lead on the left. It sounds, well... weird.

I see three possibilities:
Very mushy neck pickup, but it's too weird for that IMO.
Weird compressor setting the kept grabbing the notes in a funny way.
Weird artifact from file compression.

It's definitely not the amp, because it's not in the rhythms.
The kick has the same weird quality to it though, so I'm betting on file conversion or less than optimal sompressor settings.

• Members

Thank you.
And I'll put it this way (to keep you in suspense)--I'm as happy with every design for the Dual Channel as I am with the C.O.D.

I'll try to get a heavy clip in tomorrow if I can. I need to get back to building an amp today, and my hands are sore from playing that AC/DC riff 37 times.

James,
I personally think I have pretty good ears and I freakin' LOVE the sound of that amp... I have listened about 50 times to the Top and AC/DC and that sound is just killin' me... It truly is GREAT!

I can't wait to hear your high gainers!

Gary

• Members

The AC/DC clip sounds great!

How loud did you have the amp when recording the clips? You claim that your amps keep their tone at lower volumes as well so could you maybe do a "loud vs. quiet" comparison clip?

Oh and what kind of EQ etc. settings did you use?

Archived