Best Tube Preamps for HiGain HardRock/Metal Distortion??

rcervera

• Members

i should be getting a cool tube preamp in a few hours,hopefully...

SOHO Acoustics QTR-1 ,4 channels,4 tubes,supposed to give out super high gain on the 4th channel,i've heard that it eats most preamps for gain, including the jmp-1 and rocktron pirahna..

• Members

I'm partial to the ADA MP-1 3TM since I use one. It's voiced slightly 80's but with a parametric post-eq the sky is the limit. It really does have an insane amount of gain and enough top end that it can be dialed in to sizzle a bit (which I tend to like in moderation). I just really like the 'richness' of character (for lack of a better term) of it's high gain sounds.

I just got a Rocktron Piranha due to its rep as a little known but 'brewtal' preamp in its modern mode. Haven't fully dialed it in yet due to time constraints. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty massive once I get it set up right.

For other products, there's the usual suspects:

The VHT GP3 already mentioned

Marshall JMP

Mesa Triaxis

Mesa Quad

PV Rockmaster

Sansamp PSA-1

Rocktron Pro GAP/Voodu/Prophesy/Cham

Engl 530/570

Soldano SP77/X88R/X99

Bogner/Hafler Triple Giant

H&K Attaxx

Bogner Fish (good luck there)

Langner DCP-1 (almost as rare as Fish)

POD 2 and XT Pro (ducks)

Digitech 21xx Series (runs away).

Really, I'm probably forgetting a ton of them too. There've been a lot of cool preamps produced that can get some awesome metal sounds...

• Members

Originally posted by Elric

Soldano SP77

Really, I'm probably forgetting a ton of them too. There've been a lot of cool preamps produced that can get some awesome metal sounds...

This preamp is a good metal one??? I haven't played one but I've heard it doesn't have the gain. Anyone use one of these right now? Cheers Lucius

• Members

Originally posted by Lucius

This preamp is a good metal one??? I haven't played one but I've heard it doesn't have the gain. Anyone use one of these right now? Cheers Lucius

It has the same amount of gain as any of the other standard Soldano products (SLO, HRs, etc.). Whether that's enough gain (from any of them) for metal is apparently up for debate. My take is that they'll all do it, but clearly lots of people around here need a fair amount more gain for what they consider metal than I do...

• Members

Originally posted by Highgrade

5150 does not come in a pre-amp. Closest pre-amp to match 5150 tones is the Peavey Rockmaster.

I've been working on mine recently again. It had the infamous dirty fx loop jack thing going on, and I finally got some cleaner for it, and it's working a lot better now.

They have plenty of gain, and they make it VERY easy to shred, far easier than even my Ultra Plus amp with an eq in the loop. I'm thinking the tone could be "fuller", though. I've heard JerryP can mod them to make them thicker-sounding. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep all my gear or not and have to decide whether the Rockmaster's staying. If it is, I may be looking into getting it modded. :cool:

A Carvin V3's been in the list for a while now, though, but if I can't get much for the pre, might as well keep it.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

If you're on a budget, try a Peavey Rockmaster...

Doesnt sound much like a 5150 though.... reminds me of a Triple XXX.... almsot remidns me of a Triaxis from what I know of them. the low end is SUPER tight... thrash metal distortion...

Agreed, the Rockmaster has a very tight low end and has a very fast attack.

• Members

Originally posted by Hell Bites

Agreed, the Rockmaster has a very tight low end and has a very fast attack.

+1!

I don't use super high gain, but the Rockmaster can definitely melt your speakers with gain. And at even the highest gain levels - it's remarkably quiet. The shared EQ for the Crunch / Ultra channels is VERY effective. I get around the FX loop jack problem by just looping cables through them. I like this thing so much, I have 3 of them! Highly recommended, for the price - it's worth a shot.

• Members

I used to have a JMP-1, a Mesa Studio Preamp, a Rockmaster for a few days, an SP-77 and a VHT GP-3. I don't still own them I've sold all the abovementioned preamps! I will tell you my humble opinion for the ones that I owned and for some I've heard in order to make your assumptions.

JMP-1: Good Overall preamp for its value with midi capabilities

Mesa Studio: The clean channel is good, drive sucks.

Rockmaster: Decent preamp for its money especially if you consider buying one used, lots of gain, not very tight on extreme gain settings

SP-77: Bullshit

VHT GP-3: Very Good preamp with itsNow own voicing, very tight, fantastic clean, using its EQ you can tailor your sound dramatically, splendid dynamics /w midi capabilities, might sound like the dream preamp but has one flaw. Although it seems it has enough gain, it does not have enough sustain on its 3rd(lead channel, actually similar to the second)

I forgot to tell you that all these preamps were driving a VHT 2/50/2 poweramp /w VHT cabs.

Now If you're a Mesa fan buy a triaxis, i don't like it but it will suit your needs and is far better than studio preamp (note that quad is like studio preamp).It has enough gain and is very tight!!!

The Soldano X-99 has a very good clean channel, and a good rhythm one but needs a suitable poweramp, with VHT it doesn't match, although Steve makes the best poweramps out there!!!

The Egnater Modular (only the Egnater!!!) is a very good choice and especially with his modules.

CAE is also good and it is the closest thing to a head along with a GP-3.

MP-1: See JMP-1. Actually all my friends who like JMP-1 also like MP-1 except one Alex who is also a member in this forum!!!:D

Formula: Sucks!!!

Generally, I've heard a lot and if I forgot something don't hesitate to ask me!!!

If you want something like Best Value for Money go with a JMP-1 or MP-1

If you would like to actually invest and have a good poweramp buy an Egnater, VHT, CAE or Soldano

As always if you like Boogies forget the abovementioned and buy yourself a triaxis but combine it with a mesa poweramp, they tend to sound better!!!

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by mightyjoeyoungxnj

I liked the 530 when I had it. Thought it lacked some low end, but that could have been due to the {censored}ty pickups I had at the time. Real nice preamp and a steal at that price.

-Joe

YES!!! let me tell you this thing responds drastically to different pickups. My two guitars with upgraded PUs sound a LOT better and have perfect balance of all frequencies. I never really noticed it until i threw an X2N/59 set into my Jackson.

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

ADA MP-1 with the 3TM Mod..

Hey Duke of Metal,

Wasssaaabbbiiii!!!! I have to agree with my buddy Duke that the 3TM modded MP-1 preamp is a definite metal machine. It has much more gain & better EQ than the stock MP-1. I happen to have 2 3TM modded preamps modded by Hairston Bagg (wizard of the MP-1 preamps). I'm also taking a liking to the ADA Mod4 MarkII MP-1 preamp that I finished up a couple of months ago as well. I played my ADA Mod4 MarkII MP-1 preamp, Rocktron Replifex & my Mesa Boogie Simul-Satellite combo amp at my '80s tribute band rehearsal and it kicked ass at low volume level.

The ADA MP-1 preamps are an absolute bargain in the used preamp market. Once they're modified, they're even better than the stock version. The E-bay prices for these units have jumped up recently. If you want one, you better start looking in Craig's List, music stores, etc.

Guitar George

Archived