Best Tube Preamps for HiGain HardRock/Metal Distortion??

rcervera

• Members

I'm a Triaxis man myself....will NEVER need another Preamp, although may pick-up a JMP-1 for Marshally flavors, or a Rockmaster for more variation. But the Triaxis has just been kicking my ass. TONS AND TONS of tone....it'll never leave the stable.

• Members

Originally posted by JohnRageOn

Mesa Studio: The clean channel is good, drive sucks.

If you can't get a good drive tone out of the Studio Preamp, you're either not dialing it in right or there's something wrong with whatever amp you're using it with. End of story.

• Members

Originally posted by Whoopysnorp

If you can't get a good drive tone out of the Studio Preamp, you're either not dialing it in right or there's something wrong with whatever amp you're using it with. End of story.

I had it for at least 2 years with a VHT 2/50/2!

Unless you dial the examples on the manual, the preamp will sound a bit strange especially with its mids! There are far more better preamps out there! I don't consider myself a boogie fanatic (actually I don't like them a lot), but still triaxis and the recto preamp are better. I think the best preamps that I owned where GP-3 and JMP-1(in terms best value for money). And nothing was wrong with that specific studio preamp.

Archived