KOT: The RUSH appreciation thread.

dreamspace

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Rush. Everything they've done (except "Caress of Steel" for some odd reason)... I really like the direction "Test for Echo" and "Vapor Trails" went. The band constantly reinvents themselves, and that's incredible. No band out there has the staying power that Rush does. They're so versatile.

• Members

big fan. Lets see, my favs are:
1. Exit Stage Left
2. Rio
3. All the World's a Stage
4. Different Stages
5. A Show of Hands
6. R30

Get the picture? Not a big fan of the synth stuff, but A Show of Hands culls off most of the biggest hitters from that era...

• Members

Rush is also a fave of mine. Used to have at least bootleg copies of everything from their first through Power Windows(with the exception of Hemispheres...not sure why I never got it) But I have to admit I started losing interest around Hold Your Fire. I feel there are a few gems on each album, but on the whole they aren't as solid as what came before. My problem with the last couple of albums is that they seem to be trying too hard not to repeat themselves...getting some really funky melody lines that just don't grab me. However, the instrumentation is still really cool...even though I like their techno-pop era I love the return to heavy guitars. The R30 tour was awesome...these guys are true artists.

• Members

If I had to pick one fav band, it would probably be Rush. I grew up listening to them. I like everything up to the last few albums. I just don't get the newer stuff at all. Where are the melodies, the odd meters, the dynamic sonic backdrops ? The newer stuff sounds like monotone pentatonic average stuff.

Still I love them. The R30 DVD is awesome.

• Members

Originally posted by Hi-Gain

I like pretty much everything...Signals is awesome, I just wish they'd remaster it to improve the sound. I love the 3rd CD in Different Stages, recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon in the UK.

They remastered everything up to Presto. In fact I think the remastered versions are the only ones you can get now.

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

They remastered everything up to Presto. In fact I think the remastered versions are the only ones you can get now.

Does Signals sound decent? I'm comparing it to the sound quality of Power Windows which was 100% digital from the get go.

The Signals I have is on vinyl, I also have Exit Stage Left, Moving Pictures and Permenant Waves on vinyl which sounds much better than Signals.

• Members

Rush is a great band. I "prefer" the older more guitar oriented stuff.

- heard 2112 first
- ESL & ATWAS my fave live shows
- the newer Rio DVD is very good
- seen them several times
- had an old white '72ish Ibanez SG double neck
- had an old beater 335

Neil Peart is a true pro. He's come out of personal hell recently. (wife & daughter gone in the same year) What an awesome drummer & writer.

Geddy, is Geddy. A badass & creative bass player and writer.

Alex is pretty smokin. Yes he has settled a bit into more of a textured & colourful player. I heard Rush are going back to the old ways of doing things ...hence we can expect more GUITAR oriented Rush!!

Oh BTW if Geddy ever asks where did all his day-glo skulls go ...I know where one is located :D

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

No it isn't over.
:wave:

However, Rush is 2nd on my all-time disappointment list and I say that with sadness. They went from being a guitar-based band with occasional keyboards to a keyboard-based band with occasional guitars. Right after "Moving Pictures", Alex Lifeson stopped being a guitar hero and his style and tone changed completely. It's as if he discovered the music of "The Police" and "U2" and modeled his style after Andy Summers and The Edge.

If you haven't listened to the last 3-4 studio albums, you should. The keyboards have pretty much gone in the closet and Alex rediscovered himself. It still doesn't sound like the old stuff, but it is very much a guitar oriented sound.

• Members

Rush is the best.

There was a recent thread about "going bald"...and of course you know what came up. Some quick-witted forumite posted the lyrics to "I think I am going bald;

Somebody, must have been a kid, said "not funny...don't get it". Well what can ya say?

The point is they are serious AND funny maniacs. And have serious musical talent. Alex is kind of the slacker....but in my mind he is a genre unto himself.

They can go from a song about working every day...to going bald to mytholigical creatures and gods and space travel to American literature to the top of the Himalayas to explaining why we are here (ra or no rap) and how to deal with relationships and day to day loss and victory.

Never rest on the laurels, always searching out, exploring...testing themsleves and their fans. They would as soon leave you behind then play the same albums over and over.

And thirty years together...wow!

And if you think Alex left the guitar behind on "tom Sawyer"...well you need a serious bitch slap!

Try playing the solo to "Between The Wheels" on GUP! Or learn "Alien Shore" from Counterparts.

Yeah...appreciate!

Archived