Budget Valve amps

Delboybruce

• Members

eddiejg ( 100) on E-bay & under Giller in HC amp reviews. he has a 18 watt up & a Matchless Nighthawk clone also up, his Matchless Lightning clone is wonderfull sounding, around 400.00.Ed knows his {censored}...........

• Members
Originally posted by Delboybruce

True, but is there a better amp out there for that price.

if so tell me and I'll buy it!!!!

Cheers

I have an AD30 and it is a great little amp. And with a good cab it is giggable. But then I've posted this about a hundred times in other Vox AD threads.:thu:

• Members

I know the VOX so I'm looking into the Laneys. Are these things any good with a pedal, like a Zoom G2. I really like it, but it sounds crap with my Marshall.

I've never heard a valve amp teamed up with a Zoom G2. Anybody done it????

If so, how did it sound

In the meantime, I'll look up that amp thats just been posted

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Delboybruce

I know the VOX so I'm looking into the Laneys. Are these things any good with a pedal, like a Zoom G2. I really like it, but it sounds crap with my Marshall.

I've never heard a valve amp teamed up with a Zoom G2. Anybody done it????

If so, how did it sound

In the meantime, I'll look up that amp thats just been posted

Cheers

not with a zoom but i have and do run a modellor through tubes and love the flexibility.

I run a Pod which has 2 outputs to left/right amp - I run the left side into a very old stereo tube amplifier and that goes directly onto an early 60s fender super reverb cab with original 4x10s.

then i run the right output straight into a modified epiphone galaxie 10 small tube combo. I wired an extension jack to the epi and run it through another good cab and i love it. i just set the Pod with either glassy fender type cleans (bassman setting) or some light marshall hi-gain crunch, and the thing is the stereo tube amplifer on the left side and the epi running through cab on the right side and Im happy as can be.

i love small tube combos and always have for cranking up, and had some good ones. but the last few years i have settled on the epi galaxie 10 (after i swapped the tubes and speaker, that was a must), its true class A and responds well to tube changes and speaker swaps.

the thing is i just use a few patches from the Pod and crank it through the tubes. i am happier with this for home tube sag than i was with a classic 30 (cant crank inside), blues jr (great but limited), and a few champs which i do love the champs but just dont use them anymore so i sold them

i think you may find a way to go you like. if you do decide to go processor>tubes then you'll have to tweak. it took me a good year to really learn how the pod can work with my stereo setup with two 4x10 cabs in the room and cranked tubes but low power tubes (10 watt epi and stereo tube amp running at 15 watts)

• Members

I've had pretty good luck with my Epiphone Valve Special.

It has a nice clean tone at low volumes and breaks up nicely when you crank it. I use a Jeckle and Hyde OD pedal to smooth out the breakup when everything is on 10 (set the Jeckle side, basically a TS808 clone, to drive 0, tone 1-10 depending on needs, volume dimed)...it evens things out and eliminates the farting out of the stock speaker. It sounds like a little Marshall when played like this. But I play it mostly halfway between this setting and clean for blues tones. It's basically a champ circuit with cheaper components than an actual champ.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Just replaced the crap stock speaker in an Epiphone Valve Junior with an Eminience RedCoat series ramrod and the tubes with Groove Tube and EH's. It made a HUGE F-ing difference. The amp went from being slightly disappointing to WOW...

Another thought...it's not a tube amp, but the Vox vr15 pathfinder is one of the best little solid state amps I've ever played through, and it's cheap...check one out if you're willing to sacrifice the tubes...

Archived