Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Members

Just had mine for a little while (like, really, an hour) and I am really impressed so far. I'll post a bit more later after I get a better feel for it.

I am remembering Kurzweil and Nord I had from memory but I think this beats them for the EP/Piano stuff easily -- the amp sim definitely does (probably better and clearer than the tube setup in the XK3c, to my ears), where the Nords sounded really fake, and there is more dynamic range (sorry, I'm using this in photography terms... maybe not the right word) to things. The comment about the reverb being excessive even at low levels is quite wrong IMHO, it does not nearly come close to drenching things in reverb as I tend to do :) I may still use my TC Electronic Nova after it.

The organs are really quite decent, and I really like the bonus strings and synth samples. They seem to be a cut above PC3 quality, because they aren't scrambling to stick 500 sounds in it in less space. I really don't think they compromised that much at all.

I have yet to play a Nord Electro 3 with headphones, so comparisons are mostly with the Kurz and the Nord Stage... so I can't compare to say, string samples from the Electro.

Build quality is really nice -- mostly metal (save maybe for the free sustain pedal, which is kinda light and the music stand isn't meta or very tall... but no major loss).

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just had mine for a little while (like, really, an hour) and I am really impressed so far. I'll post a bit more later after I get a better feel for it.

I am remembering Kurzweil and Nord I had from memory but I think this beats them for the EP/Piano stuff easily -- the amp sim definitely does, where the Nords sounded really digital (in the amp sim), and there is more dynamic range (sorry, I'm using this in photography terms... maybe not the right word) to things. The comment about the reverb being excessive even at low levels is quite wrong IMHO, it does not nearly come close to drenching things in reverb as I tend to do :) I may still use my TC Electronic Nova after it.

The organs are really quite decent, and I really like the bonus strings and synth samples. They seem to be a cut above PC3 quality, because they aren't scrambling to stick 500 sounds in it in less space. I really don't think they compromised that much at all.

I have yet to play a Nord Electro 3 with headphones, so comparisons are mostly with the Kurz and the Nord Stage... so I can't compare to say, string samples from the Electro.

Build quality is really nice.

• Members

I still think the best bet is the Nord Stage all round.

At least in the U.S. there is a significant price difference between the Nord Stage and Korg SV-1 keyboards.

88 keys:

-- $3,500 Nord Stage EX 88

-- $2,200 Korg SV-1 88

76 keys:

-- $3,200 Nord Stage EX 76

-- $2,000 Korg SV-1 73

• Members
Hey Goldphinga:

Thanks for all your video clips and the review as such. I do have to take issue with your latest statement, though.

We call the product Stage Vintage
Piano
. Not Stage Vintage
Keyboard

So we think the primary sounds ARE the piano, electric pianos, and such. We added some additional content to round out what we felt the stage performer would need, but they are secondary considerations. Like putting organs on a weighted key product. We understand these issues, many of us are players. But we felt that "in a pinch" the player would appreciate having some of these sounds on a gig where they only brought one keyboard for example. Holding every sound to your absolute purist view was certainly never our intention, and our naming of the product plus the weighted keybed we felt showed a clear direction.

I hope this input helps. Back to your discussion!

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Hey Jerry. Ok so its the Stage Vintage 'piano' Let me make one thing clear im not an absolute purist as you put it. But i do expect a level of quality throughout at particular price points and theres no excuse for poor quality organs, strings etc.

Its a bit of a crazy statement imho to say some sounds are secondary to other sounds. As far as the user/customer is concerned there is no division and people buy stuff because of the quality of the whole package. All sounds are primary!

Its annoying to have sounds on board that dont hit the spot and certainly none of us are in a position to be buying boards these days where there are a few good sounds and a bunch of afterthoughts, fillers or secondaries and that somehow people will be happy with that?!

If you make a keyboard, and price its as a premium product then EVERY sound on board at a this price point should be absolutely top notch. Thats my point. Not a purist view at all but surely an informed and well qualified point.
:cool:

• Members

At least in the U.S. there is a significant price difference between the Nord Stage and Korg SV-1 keyboards.

88 keys:

-- $3,500 Nord Stage EX 88

-- $2,200 Korg SV-1 88

76 keys:

-- $3,200 Nord Stage EX 76

-- $2,000 Korg SV-1 73

Just to make this a bit fairer-the SV1 is not a competitor of the Nord Stage though of course there are parallels between the two. The Stage is priced higher because its feature list is WAY beyond that of the SV1. A fairer comparison would be to compare the SV1 with Electro 3. Both monotimbral with no splits layers etc..

In the Uk they can be bought for the following prices but the retails are of course much higher.

SV1 73-

• Members

Just to make this a bit fairer-the SV1 is not a competitor of the Nord Stage

Sure it is, if you don't want to play organs on a weighted keyboard or pianos on an unweighted one, the NS is also a compromise board, though this is not necessarily a bad thing at all for Nord to be, so it can't be a bad thing for the Korg SV1 to be.

I had a Nord Stage compact previously, which made it bad for pianos. If I had the Nord Stage non-compact, it would have been bad for organ. In either case, the piano and EP sounds on the SV1 seem excellent to me, and the Nord Stage couldn't do strings except for the String synths, and even the sampled instruments on the SV1 sound better than what the Nord Synth could crank out to me. The Nord could do splits/layers fairly easily, true. Yet it also had a menu. The Electro 3 has that two-digit LCD deal instead of the "everything on the front interface", which is really a bad compromise when it would have been easy to put in a two line LCD at minimum...

I think they did a good job. Price comparisons? The difference between a Nord Stage Compact and 76 is $200. Plus the Korg is more knobby. So I think the price is relatively quite fair.

In the US right now, a Nord Electro 3 is $2200 street and the Korg is $1900 Street, despite the Korg having a weighted keybed which should make it MORE expensive by roughly $200, not less expensive by $200, which is a virtual difference of $400.

If Nord doesn't have the markup/exchange-issues in Europe, good for them though :)

• Members

Hi GP:

Thanks for the response. Let me try to understand your taste/issues better, because I'm not sure that we're both talking apples to apples. You're fine with the reed organs, but seriously dislike the tonewheel organs. Controls aside, what are the qualities/aspects of the sounds that need to be expanded? I'm not clear that your issues are sampled based/voicing or judging "Rompler" versus modeled. We obviously know how to do both (well, IMHO) but this a "Rompler" instrument so I'd like to learn more about your view. We might be able to address them.

As for the "real" strings let's just say we agree to disagree - we get a lot of great comments about them and their expressiveness. We can and will make more versions of them to account for different envelope characteristics (shorter release, different attack, more full sound etc.). So that's easy enough.

Then the synth sounds...you discuss quality/top notch on the one hand, and then here seem to just want a whole lot more. OK, we can make a whole lot more, we have a variety of waves inside. Again, sampled waves not VA. But I'm happy to hear from you (and all other owners/reviewers etc.) for sounds they want after having lived with the product. We can make more, and what better way than based on getting input from the owners.

So let me better understand your statements in detail. It can start here, it can go to PM and private email, I'm fine any way.

Regards,

Jerry
Korg Guy

• Members

Hiya Jerry. Ok here goes!

Organs

The reed organs sound more authentic, brighter and more lifelike whereas the B3 samples seem to be missing that authentic high end air around the samples plus the current sounds sound a bit narrow and dull. Id like to see a bigger range of samples and a preset with the classic first 3 drawbars out setting. Basically something more authentic.

Strings

The orchestral strings are nice. However the mellotrons and strings ensemble sound harsh in the high mid areas, plus i could hear the sample zones in the ensemble sound so its not smooth throughout its range.

Rhodes

I love the rhodes and wurlies and pianos. Yes these are top notch.

Synth sounds

Could you add a base set of waves such as sine, square, pulse, saw, tri/saw in unison, unison detuned, and poly detuned versions?

Also i was wondering whether the editor could have a serious upgrade to include the following.

1. User upload of their own samples, perhaps via sample conversion utility? Im not sure what format the SV1 waves are in but maybe this could work?

2. Add filters and envelopes to the editor too so that users can customize their sounds and then upload them to the SV1?

3. Add tine/reed placement options for the rhodes/wurlies plus a clavinet

mute sample?

4.Could a fast trigger/key high trigger point mode be added to enable faster playing of the clavs and organs via the weighted keybed?

5.Id love to see a foot modulation option for the synth sounds so filter, modulation, pitchbend etc could be done from a foot pedal.

6.Perhaps an add on midi+drawbar controller for live access to the organ and synth envelope/filter settings.

Lordy-someone employ me as a synth designer please!!

Really appreciate your input here..

Cheers

• Members

I agree with JD. It is a lot of money considering the current capabilities. A suggestion (if possible) would be to expand the pc/mac editor so that splits/layers can be created and then uploaded to the SV 1 with limited/no editing capabilities onboard. These would play similar to the piano/strings that are onboard the SV 1 now. Offer a split/layer by percentage control in the editor. The keybed is nice and the piano samples are excellent. Appearance is super. Things like a foot controlled mod. wheel are great suggestions. I face the same thing everyone seems to, nowhere to play any high-end keyboards. I ordered both the Stage EX and SV 1 to compare (negotiating at least enough to cover return freight of one). Keep pushing the SV 1 forward it obviously has huge potential. Brad

• Members

I have a software feature request idea.

Would it be possible to press the function button and then be able to scroll through the Categories and Variations while leaving the other settings (effects pre and post, reverb/delay, amp) the same?

For instance, suppose I set up a (arbitrarily) amped/flanged/piano for Piano/1's sample but want to hear what that sounds like on Piano/2's sample and other EP samples. As I scroll through the presets, I have to keep applying those settings, it seems. Just press function before you move those dials...

That seems like it could be neat to have.

It might also be nice to be able to reprogram just the basic knob settings for a given preset (not the 1-8 favorites, the dual knob presets) from the front panel... example would be if I decided that I wanted to change the default reverb on the piano from off to "2", but didn't want to just change my radio station preset, and didn't want to take my keyboard to where it was near a computer. This could effectively give you more presets, just that the sample for each position (and the hidden settings) would still be assigned.

This would allow for most of the editing I'd want to do without needing the editor, I think.

This could be done as a combination of a function button and another far away button (three finger salute?) and only would change what was stored on the active preset... and wouldn't allow changing the sample/tone assigned to that knob reading (because that would be complicated).

Thoughts?

I like the idea of opening up a few more synth wave options in the editor, BTW. I like the organ banks, but probably don't need that much variety. For instance, I could do organ+phaser as a Favorite and not have to have it as a preset on the knob wheel, so there is some space there to use the some space in the EP preset ranges (like setting 5 and 6 on both of those I could possibly remap to other waves? That could be cool maybe. I'm curious to know what else might be exposed and whether we can just turn it all on, or whether that's more complicated than just an editor setting thingy.

Anyway, love the board so far!

• Members

Can anybody share how the SV-1 does live in a club setting and how well it sounds and cuts through in a mix? I could go to a music store and try it out, but that certainly won't tell me how it performs live. The organs to me are not important. I play an XK-1.

• Members

Although, Yamaha's Hammonds suck. That is, Leslie sims are pathetic. Ergo, their Hammonds suck.

The Clavinovas have some good organ flutes settings that are pretty good, yeah their default/stock sounds are no good, but the organ flutes settings are fully customizable, and sound pretty good (to me, anyway).

The new Rhodes sounds in the Clavinovas sound pretty awesome, especially with the new level of customization you can do on them on the new CVP-500 series.

I would definitely be very, very interested in hearing more about Yam getting into the vintage synth/KB competition w/ Nord and Korg.

• Members

Alrighty, I went and spent an solid hour with the SV-1 with my trusty headphones. Today's thoughts:

- Accoustic pianos are acceptable. There's still *something* not quite right about them, but that slightly-off flavor I get is rather mild and not an outright deal-breaker. There was also a Kurzweil SPX3 there and a Yamaha SP70EX, so I played them too... each has their littlw piano quirks, so I really can't fault Korg's for having it's own. "What's odd about it", you ask? I don't think the middle keys ring long enough, and there's something a bit flat about the attack (life-wise, not pitch-wise). Overall, though, it's acceptable to me.

- Electric pianos are great. There's still a little bit of a noticable switch in velocity mappings to a different sample when striking a bit harder, the "bark" suddenly shows up, if you know what I mean, but it's not a pronounced as it is on my Motif.

- Keyboard feel is good for pianos, so-so for clavs, and, of course, awkward for organs. Since I'm primarily a piano man, the lack of organ feel is fine, I probably won't touch those voices much anyway. I tried playing clav on my old KX88 last night again, and it's a bit sluggish too, so... it is what it is.

I messed around with the knobs some more today, and discovered that some of them wiggle around pretty good; it makes me wonder what the long-term service of those controls will be, and just how forgiving of accident they would be. Spcifically, the knobs that also double as a puchbutton seemed to be a bit loosey-goosey.

What it comes down to is that this would basically be a pianos-only instrument for me, and that's OK. What's stopping me now isn't the machine itself, but whether or not that's how I want to spend $2K. If I really had that money to blow right now, I wonder if I would be better off spending that on something that helped my recording workflow, since I already have a workable piano rig now.

Decisions, decisions. :D What can I say.

• Members

Tried one (SV1 - 73) today for about 45 mins and very impressed. The videos from JD and Korg (w/ Eldar and Noel Evans) really inspired me to go out and test it out, being I just got my new RD300 GX today and may send it back in favor of the 88 key version of the SV1.

The keyboard is deceptively small, I too had to count the keys on the 73 version to ensure it really had 73 keys so most likely will go with the 88 to ensure the full complement of the low end keys for the pianos. It is built pretty tough and I like the solid feel of the knobs and buttons, I can't say the same for so many of the manufacturers and new boards out today including the Nord brand. :thu:

Rhodes and Wurlies - The BEST I have heard on a stage piano. They were a joy to play much like my Mark II (Stage and Suitcase) so no issues there, the FX were pretty fun and inspiring, and added another dynamic to the instrument.

Pianos - Not bad at all, most of my hesitation with the Pianos had to do with the garbage sound system GC puts out there to sample keyboards on in their Keyboard room. (You would think they would use a great highend mixer (Mackie, Yamaha, Allen & Heath) and speakers (JBL, Yamaha, Bose, etc) in their Keyboard room to ensure you heard the instruments on the highest quality sound system vs the garbage Behringers through out the room...). I could not really feel the pianos the way I needed to feel them but again that is more to do with the lackluster sound system. They appeared to react well with the keybed and be well sampled.

Clavs - Great, they really bite when the FXs are added.. Would have liked additional sample/sounds options (Mute, etc)

Organs - Not Bad but not the Roland quality I am accustomed to.. Korg should add some additional organ sample to improve the offering.

Others - There were only a couple of Strings and Synth sounds which I really did not pay attention to as I would most likely use my Juno G for those sounds.

The keybed was quite impressive and a thrill to play, no problems with the key reaction / return. It really gave me the Rhodes character i am accustomed to on the Real deal. The pianos felt good on them as well, no need to comment on the how the organs reacted on weighted keys as that is a moot point on ANY weighted keyboard with organs (not sure why anyone is complaining about that... :confused::confused: its a weighted board :idea:)

Overall I will go back this week to give it another 45 minute session before I push the button and return the RD or pass it by.

One draw back though was the $2000-$2200 price tag :facepalm: about $400 overpriced IMHO ..... but i may conclude it is worth it considering what Wurlies, Clavs and Rhodes are going for now a days....

In closing Korg did an EXCELLENT job recreating the EPs (Wurlies, Clavs and Rhodes) in the SV1.. its definitely a 60's & 70's EP clone.

• Members

The keybed was quite impressive and a thrill to play, no problems with the key reaction / return. It really gave me the Rhodes character i am accustomed to on the Real deal. The pianos felt good on them as well, no need to comment on the how the organs reacted on weighted keys as that is a moot point on ANY weighted keyboard with organs (not sure why anyone is complaining about that...
:confused:
:confused: its a weighted board
:idea:
)

It wasnt a complaint as such, but on some boards the organs have a higher trigger point so it doesnt take so much key down travel before the samples start which goes some way to improving the experience of playing organs on a weighted board.

• Members

Picked up the SV-1 73 over the weekend. Had bad buyer remorse after the first day, then started comparing it to my Electro 2 and various soft synths and samples. After a few more days to mull it over, I think it is a keeper (well, I scratched the top of the unit, so I can't return it anyway at this point). Here are some brief thoughts.

1. Keyboard is really nice, much better than my Alesis QS8 Piano action. Of course, not so good for organ, but the organ really suck on this thing, so not really a problem.

2. Rhodes - Best thing about the unit. The Rhodes sounds great. Really feels like I'm playing my old Mark I. However, KORG should have including some variations (Mark II and Mark V) as well. Only issues I have are that there should be some ability to add/remove the "bell" sound (the EQ helps, but it would have been nice to have some physical modelling parameters. I also found there was a drastic sample change when doing from D to Eb an octave above middle C (slight bell to DING). Almost like you switched patches. Don't remember my old Mark I doing that. Better than the Electro 2, but only slightly.

3. Wurlie - Excellent. Really got the bark down. My test for any Wurlie is You're my Best Friend. That C octave bass really needs to bark. I'm not thrilled with the Logical Song patch (EP 2 Patch 2). Has any of these programmers actually compared it to the sound of the actual song???? Slightly better than the Electro 2

3. Grand Pianos - basically suck. My old Emu 1/2 rack piano from 1995 has better pianos than this thing.

4. CP-70 - excellent compared to the real thing. Just as good if not better than my various samples. (Yes, I own a real CP-70) Better than the Electro 2.

5. Clav - pretty good, although the Electro is pretty hard to beat due to the ability to switch pickups. Electro wins here.

6. Organs - worst organs I've ever heard. Sounds like a bad rompler from 15 years ago. ELECTRO BLOWS THE SV-1 away.

7. Mellotron/Strings - as an owner of a M-400 and various samples and AUs, the mellotrons, strings and jump patch are pretty crappy. Electro 3 can load Mellotron samples. Probably very similar to the Electro 3.

8. No MOD or Pitch WHEEL!!!!! Pretty hard to use this to control other synths with the mod/pitch wheel. Any one have suggestions on adding one to a SV-1 and synth set-up.

If I didn't already have an ELECTRO 2, I probably would have opted for an ELECTRO 3 over an SV-1.

• Members

At this point, IF I were to buy an Electro 3 or a SV-1, it would probably be the Electro. I decided that I'm still extremely satisfied with the Kurz when it comes to piano, epiano etc. after rehearsal this evening. The organs, clavs and mellotrons are very GASsable on the Electro :)

Archived