Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't here when it was still a fresh topic in the thread, but I gotta comment on the tube thing.

Coming from a guitar player POV, the Valvtronix stuff IMO is HANDS DOWN some of the best modeling out there of what's considered "mainstream" and readily available. So whether it's tube or not, it's good circuitry IMO.

• Members

Other tidbits:

All the knobs are detented, with rather chunky detents. You need a firm grip to turn them; Mister Sensitive Fingertip Tweakers need not apply. This also means there isn't any fine-tuning of some variables, like FX depth; The detented values are what you get. Fortunately, they seem to dial-in easily, no big jumps from "not enough" to "too much".

On the plastics: I didn't get a "cheap" vibe from the unit, it seems built solidly enough.

It's also deceptively small. I had to count the keys to be sure it really had all 88. I didn't try to lift it, so I don't know what gigging around with it would be like.

• Members

I played one today at Sam Ash in White Plains NY (they had one on the floor) and I too had to count the keys to see that it was an 88 key model. It may be a bit compact, but the thing is HEAVY and feels solid as a rock. Once I started playing, I totally fell in love with the thing. NO MENUS!!! I am the world's worst synth programmer / menu tweaker, so I have been GASSING for something like this since the moment I heard about it. The tube drive sounded great, effects sounded amazing, and the action felt REALLY great (but I can see that some might see it as being a little "slow"). Overall, I was mightily impressed. I'll be picking one up as soon as I can get my hand's on a 20% MF coupon... $1999 for the 73 key version is a bit too rich for my blood at the moment. Although $1500-ish would be pretty swanky.

Bobby

• Members

I just got done playing one. I was very impressed and am about to sell my Nord Electro 3 to pay for one of these puppies. I like the keys, the sounds, the feel of the knobs and layout. I was dialing in a bunch of great sounds immediately. The only thing I don't like is the look/ color. If it was all black and the curve was a little more squared off I would be happier. They should make it look more like a vintage rhodes or wurli. The toob is silly, but the overdrive does sound great. I love the feel of the keybed and the size seems small. I don't know what kind of case is gonna work with it though.

• Members

Here's Korg's case for it. It's nice because it is supposed to also carry the chrome stand: http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_sv1_73_bag.htm
---
Have practice tonight with the new SV-1 73.
We'll see what the band thinks.
I really love it so far after some tweaking. When I first heard the acoustic pianos through my EON G2 I thought "Oh no, a keyboard with "Ivory" software stuffed inside". Great for recording but ...

So I engaged Amp 1 circuit, changed the speaker cab from 2 - 12's to 1 - 12, changed the frequency on the sweepable mid to clean up the "box", then increased reverb a notch. Now we're talking IN THE MIX!

• Members

Oww! Really great review, albeit a bit short. Make sure they give you some more space next time :)

I'll definitely maybe have to get one now.
The only bad things to say about are, I think:

No onboard sweepable mid! This sucks - having it on my E3 makes all the difference.

It's curved. Even though it cool enough, I think it's also a bit hysterical - someone said they'd preferred if Korg had gone for a Rhodesy look, and I agree. The red 73 seems like a Nord ripoff (the color of the 88 rules), and having a flat top would be a huge advantage in terms of stacking things, just like you mentioned.

• Members

Cheers for the review JD.

Not wrapped in the sounds tho - the playing is good, the sounds just sound very romplerish and sterile to me. I'll reserve final judgement until I sit down with it for some time, but at this stage, think I'll be going the MainStage route instead.

If you go with Mainstage, the Scarbee samples are a MUST have!

• Members

I still think the best bet is the Nord Stage all round. I think its time they improved the Rhodes, put in the C2 organ and added sample upload from the NE3 but apart from that its the best there is by a long shot.

Though it has to be said the SV1 rhodes and pianos are great, not at all sterile sounding imo.:cool:

• Members

I've ordered a SV1 73... we shall see how I like it. I have high hopes for it. I had a Nord Stage Compact (which ultimately got replaced by a PC3 -- which in turn had a short life due to factory defects) previously and both left me wanting something with more teeth and funness. Can't wait to have a menu-less keyboard finally, overdrive and effects section looks like it would be really awesome. (Rotary + Univibe extra distorted tube piano, here I come).

FWIW, Guitar Center / MF was pretty bad about shipping -- they got a ton in at the end of the month, I had a preorder, and they seemed to ship everything to the stores first and push my order WAAAAY back ... though other places have them in stock. This is not the only time they've been really bad about posting dates and not adhering to them, so they are now on my "only order if actually in stock and nobody else has one" list.

• Members

Though it has to be said the SV1 rhodes and pianos are great, not at all sterile sounding imo.
:cool:

So... Is the Stage the better choice in the long run because of the usable organ / synth and multitimbrality? Specifying the question, are the SV-1 pianos and Rhodes great as in just as great as the Nord Stage, or are they considerably better?

• Members

I briefly played the SV-1 88 today at my local music store. I didn't spend a ton of time on it. Since I'm a Piano and Rhodes player, these were the main sounds I played.

The board was hooked to some 5" near fields by M-Audio. Ostensibly not the best way to audition a board but, better than a Roland KC!!

There are some things I liked and some that seemed less that stellar. The acoustic pianos seemed rather pedestrian to me. Not a lot of detail and the tone was not woody in any discernable way. Did not convince me I was playing a piano. I liked the action though. It wasn't Yamaha heavy and was very playable.

The Rhodes were good, some very good! The Phased Rhodes was excellent. I think this is where this board shines. It has a more authentic sound (and less polished) than the Motif Rhodes for example. To me it's a tossup with the Nord Stage Rhodes -- different flavors.

The effects were very good I thought. I loved the layout and the lack of menus.

These are my very first impressions. I can't say this is a great board and I can't say it's not. Didn't spend enough time with it.

For me the lack of splits and real layers however is a deal breaker. I have to have those options in a board that expensive. The Nord Stage is a lot more flexible, and offers a lot more (for a higher price of course)! But, I have one, so, I don't have to worry about prices.

aL

• Members
The board was hooked to some 5" near fields by M-Audio. Ostensibly not the best way to audition a board but, better than a Roland KC!!

You must have gone to Jim's. :lol: That's how I played it, too. Next time I'm going with my trusty headphones.

The acoustic pianos seemed rather pedestrian to me. Not a lot of detail and the tone was not woody in any discernable way. Did not convince me I was playing a piano.

Agreed. I want to give the one I played some slack 'cause of the tiny monitors, but honestly if the piano's not good enough, that's a deal-breaker. I'm not gonna spend that much for just the EP's.

The Rhodes were good, some very good!

Also agreed. Very tasty.

I loved the layout and the lack of menus.

Me too, that's a big draw for me.

I'll probably go check it out again this weekend, this time with headphones, but I'm pretty much on the fence on this now.

• Members

I'll probably go check it out again this weekend, this time with headphones, but I'm pretty much on the fence on this now.

Yeah, having the NS makes this board less than exciting. If the Pianos were a home run (or significantly better than the NS Pianos -- I am one of those people who love the NS Pianos), I would have taken a second look. The EPs are good but like you said, ain't gonna spend that kinda dough for a one trick pony.

aL

• Members

So... Is the Stage the better choice in the long run because of the usable organ / synth and multitimbrality? Specifying the question, are the SV-1 pianos and Rhodes great as in just as great as the Nord Stage, or are they considerably better?

On par but just different flavour is the best way to describe. The Nord Rhodes' dont bark quite as naturally as the SV1s and the pianos on the Nord are less hifi and more rounded whilst the SV1's are more processed sounding but nonetheless very musical.

But its when you compare features that the SV1 falls down. No splits, no layers, no drawbars, no synth, limited multitimbraility, limited outputs, limited controller functions...i could go on.

Basically youre paying premium for a nice rhodes and piano but everything else is too limited for the price point. Now if Korg provide an extensive library of user upload-able content that will go some way to improve things, otherwise i fear this board is rather too much form over function. Sorry to say it, i wanted this board to be as good as it looks but the Nords are still king for me for so many reasons.

:cool:

Archived