Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Members

OMB.....:D

Yeah, thanks you guys.

Jim:

As far as your setup compared to mine.

I do a classic rock show, that means Allman Brothers, CCR, Neil Young, Led Zepplin, Grand Funk RR, Warren Zevon, Moody Blues, Santana, Cream, lynyrd skynyrd, Doobie Brothers, etc. It may be old music, but its ROCK.

A KB amp can't handle all that. Your Motion Sound amp can work well for Weddings, that's a completely different format that doesn't require significant volume. I get hired as a substitute for a band. People get up and dance to my music. I get a lot of comments on my sound and people routinely as me how its done. Other musicians ask me about my setup, sequences, and harmonies. A lot of them have told me that the vocals sound great and the music has drive. A few purists have balked at the OMB thing, but they either don't have a gig and blame me and DJ's, or play in a band and don't make much money once the expenses are taken out and they split the money. I keep ALL the money, like you do Jim. :love:

I use a hand truck to wheel everything in. The Motif ES8 is the heaviest piece, but as I said earlier, it handles my whole show. The Alesis Ion I use is icing on the cake.

As Orange Funk suggested, a higher resolution MP3 might do the trick. But then that requires an investment in a dedicated computer system and all the hardware and software that goes along with using a PC for creating music. I know from pictures you posted previously that you already had a studio in your house and you made an on-going investment in that equipment. Converting everything to MP3 probably wouldn't take all that much time, and an investment in an iPOD is no biggie.

But at age 62 I am not going to invest the time and money in a system like that. What I have works well for what I do, and I don't have to spend anything. Sure, moving equipment is a pain in the back at my age, but I can charge substantially more $$ than other soloists in my area, I get it or I don't play. I realize that musicians playing weddings make out well if they are good at what they do, but I never got a rise out of doing that kind of music. I've been playing classic rock since before it was classic, and I have been trying to pick up on some new material to keep things fresh and appeal to some of the younger people out there.

I have considered getting a S70XS to play live and a Motif XS 61 key to run my sequences so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Lighter and more up-to-date than my ES8. But that would require another large investment that I am unable and unwilling to make at my age. My musical career is winding down so I'm more interested in toys to play around with in addition to my vintage keys I already have. So an SV-1 would be a great toy at a fair price, and if Dave Smith ever changes the lame filter on the Prophet 08, I would see if I could swing one of those. Neither of the two above KB I would use for my live show and with my income level would probably be a stretch anyway.

I know there are other options out there, I really don't want to dick around with new equipment and most of all a computer for music. I'd rather play music.

The thing that changes the most as we get older is a lack of time left on the planet. Perspective my friends. When you guys get older you will be spending less time chasing skirts too. I never really cared for that part of getting older. :cry:

Cheers,

Mike T.

P.S. Jim you lost weight since the last time I saw a picture of you in your OMB costume. :rawk:

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mike T:

Yeah I know we're way different in terms of our acts but because my rig is scalable I sometimes do things other than weddings and restaurants, like solo outdoor jazz gigs. I still use my Motion Sound Amps (either a KP-100s or KN-500sn) as a mixer/monitor and plug the line outputs into powered EONs w/subs. And in fact, many of my wedding jobs are combo pianist/DJ jobs where I use a full DJ system with lights so I carry a full share of gear at times. But even with all my solo gear, DJ system, full PA w/subs and intelligent lighting, it'll still fit in a Honda CRV with the front seats free. That's the gold standard for me. I'm always looking for gear that is smaller, lighter, and more efficient.

I do think the switchover to MP3 for backing tracks (and my DJ music) is worth the time and investment because it's a permanent switch - no more altering MIDI files everytime you upgrade keys/modules etc. And it does reduce stage gear. As MP3 player get better and smaller, you can change instantly, and having a spare player in case of gear failure is no problem.

I think going to MP3's is something you'll all but have to do someday.

I do look good in that costume don't I ? :)

• Members

I don't gig with my SV-1. Am I barred from the club? :D

Someone mentioned earlier that they tried it out several times in the store before committing. That's exactly what I did; I took my headphones into the store 3 different times and played it quite a while each time before deciding it would replace my ol' KX88/Motif Rack combo.

I am pleased with mine, but Rich still hasn't delivered that complementary fruitcake that I was supposed to get with it. :mad:

• Members

Then I should be barred from the club as well. I hope to gig again some times... I sometimes wonder why I shouldn't try to save "some" more money and buy the real thing (oh sorry.. I mean the Rhodes of course). The new mk7 is quit good, if you talk about the active models. With these you can alter the eq and make it sound like a mk1 (herbie sound), mk1 normal, mk2 (brighter, bell like) and the mk5 (too bright). But then again, money always seems to be the problem and the mk7 is too expensive. Buying an older vintage version (which I had) always is a problem with maintenance etc. But, sorry this thread isn't about Rhodes. For gigging it's definitely going to be the sv-1, but for home use... I don't know yet. I think I'm going to try it next week again. In a few weeks I can also try the nord piano 88 and the Rhodes mk7 which is finally is going to be shipped to the Netherlands. I'm looking for to it.

Just one other thing. Is anyone using the originak kb stand which is optional ($$ etc) for the sv-1 or is it better to use an allround Z-stand or something similar?

• Members

Hey Jim, yep we have different applications. For me its always been more practical to carry one system for everything. I primarily use a recent version of Peavey SP2's, which can handle 500 watts continuous sine wave and 1000 watts program (so they say). I use a Yamaha P7000s and that's 700 watts continuous which sounds great with my speakers. With four separate xlr outs on my Studio Master mixer, I can also use a separate set of speakers and amplifier when I've played frat parties in large rooms with 400 to 500 people. I have a set of JBL cabinets in my music room and I only take those out in addition to the SP2's when I need a lot of power. So my setup is scalable too. Another good combination would be a JBL PRX subwoofer in conjunction with the SP2's. I don't want to spring for it though, as I doubt I will be doing gigs forever.

As far as reaching a point that I "have to" convert to MP3's, I kinda doubt it. It would require an investment in equipment that I am not willing to make, not to mention the time to set up and learn how to use another system. Then we're back to the time factor. I'd rather go up in the mountains and go camping in my free time than learn a new way to do the same thing I'm doing now.

I certainly agree that MP3's and an iPod would be darn convenient, but that's just the finished product end of it, getting there is another matter.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members
I am pleased with mine, but Rich still hasn't delivered that complementary fruitcake that I was supposed to get with it.
:mad:

EP, I am truly sorry. Here you are:

po-fruitcake.jpg

Regift it with pride!

• Members
are there any extra shipping costs to get this one to Europe?
:lol:

Korg USA recommends against shipping fruitcakes internationally. Insert a joke about your favorite celebrity here. :)

• Members
Korg USA recommends against shipping fruitcakes internationally. Insert a joke about your favorite celebrity here.
:)

Hi Rich,
Thanx for the tip, I'll bear that in mind :wave:. Yesterday played the sv-1 again and the more I play it, the more I got to have it. I also tried to tweak the Rhodes sound to give it another flavor. I play a lot of Steely Dan music and therefore I tried to make it sound like the Rhodes solo on their song Black Cow (hope you know what I mean). Can you (or anybody else) give me a some tips of which settings to choose? I would be very grateful. Regards Rhodjuzz

• Members

Hi Rich,

Thanx for the tip, I'll bear that in mind
:wave:
. Yesterday played the sv-1 again and the more I play it, the more I got to have it. I also tried to tweak the Rhodes sound to give it another flavor. I play a lot of Steely Dan music and therefore I tried to make it sound like the Rhodes solo on their song Black Cow (hope you know what I mean). Can you (or anybody else) give me a some tips of which settings to choose? I would be very grateful. Regards Rhodjuzz

I do know what you mean, and here are my own thoughts:

- I'd start with Favorite #3, which is a shortcut to the kller tine-based EP.

- Lower the reverb to a barely-perceptible level.

- Be careful with the Drive knob, just a little dab'll do ya. Stick near the preset for authenticity in this case, since the Black Cow solo is pretty clean.

- Try boosting the mid EQ just a touch... and if you get the computer involved, you might also want to use the editor software to raise the mid frequency a bit, to accentuate the bell character.

- If you want to save it to a Favorites location, just hold down a Favorite button until it blinks, then press it once more to save your current settings.

If you want to branch beyond that solo, you'll be surprised at how well the SV-1 does that phaser clav sound, too. :)

• Members
I do know what you mean, and here are my own thoughts:

- I'd start with Favorite #3, which is a shortcut to the kller tine-based EP.

- Lower the reverb to a barely-perceptible level.

- Be careful with the Drive knob, just a little dab'll do ya. Stick near the preset for authenticity in this case, since the Black Cow solo is pretty clean.

- Try boosting the mid EQ just a touch... and if you get the computer involved, you might also want to use the editor software to raise the mid frequency a bit, to accentuate the bell character.

- If you want to save it to a Favorites location, just hold down a Favorite button until it blinks, then press it once more to save your current settings.

If you want to branch beyond that solo, you'll be surprised at how well the SV-1 does that phaser clav sound, too.
:)

Ok, thanks for the tip :thu:. In this way the Rhodes is more versatile than I thought. Clav: the Phaser on the SV-1 is great. Steely Dan used it a lot (except the Rhodes on Black Cow), a good example is Peg, which sounds awesome when I use Rhodes preset #1 on the sv-1 and add a Phaser manually. Regards Rhodjuzz...

• Members

Just to say, I got my SV-1 on Friday and played it for the first time through a PA just a few hours ago with my band... everyone was real happy... Korg did a great job!!

I'm just wondering what other sounds are "in the bag"! Also, something I am not sure about is why the sound cuts out when you change fx type...

Anyway.. thanks to Korg!

• Members

by Orange Funk:

Also, something I am not sure about is why the sound cuts out when you change fx type...

Typically, because the FX has to "reset" so you will get a slight pause in the action.

Mike T.

• Members

Typically, because the FX has to "reset" so you will get a slight pause in the action.

Mike T.

Thanks Mike, on the SV-1 changing the fx is more like a MIDI reset.. the keyboard just mutes what you are playing... until you start playing again...

Bit odd but not a deal breaker... ;-)

• Members

by Orangefunk:

Thanks Mike, on the SV-1 changing the fx is more like a MIDI reset.. the keyboard just mutes what you are playing... until you start playing again...

Bit odd but not a deal breaker.

My, that is weird. Why don't you PM RichF from Korg, he's been posting heavily in this thread so there's a good chance he will answer a question.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members
For those interested this is my band at Musikkfest in Norway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rmP4fEF-4M

I'm on the Electro 2 on this.. but will be on SV-1 from now on ;-)

That's a nice performance. I saw in your earlier posts you used the electro 2 (for the first time?) and the lack of reverb seemed awkward (electro 3 has reverb though). What did you use before the electro 2 and do you find the sv-1 much better? The NE3 and Nord Piano (can) use the new piano library (v5) which has improved sounds (ep and acoustic). I really want to have the sv-1 but want to try out the nord piano first. For studio and home use the hiss in the sv-1 (which doesn't go a away even with the editor) and not being able to upload new sounds in the future might become a problem. Don't know yet.:confused:

• Members
That's a nice performance. I saw in your earlier posts you used the electro 2 (for the first time?) and the lack of reverb seemed awkward (electro 3 has reverb though). What did you use before the electro 2 and do you find the sv-1 much better? The NE3 and Nord Piano (can) use the new piano library (v5) which has improved sounds (ep and acoustic). I really want to have the sv-1 but want to try out the nord piano first. For studio and home use the hiss in the sv-1 (which doesn't go a away even with the editor) and not being able to upload new sounds in the future might become a problem. Don't know yet.
:confused:

For me the rhodes and wurly on the SV-1 are on par or even btter than the Electro 2 I used. The Electro does have a more mellow Herbie sound though and the SV-1 rhodes is a bit more fonky and raw like say Marlena Shaw "Woman of the Ghetto" at Montreux or "Move to Groove" by Roy Ayers...

But overall, for me you can't go wrong with either... I chose the SV-1 over the Electro because the keyboard was weighted and the price was similar... I was thinking about the Stage 76EX but decided the SV-1 was good enough for the band I am in and the Korg keybed is superior to the Stage IMHO... I do wish there was a flash rom so I coul update the sounds though... but hopefully there are surprises in that 512MB ROM. :D

I agree about the hiss... I find the overdrive a bit too extreme at low settings... I also find the wah wah a bit odd (distorts a lot) but probably haven't calibrated it properly..

Another thing I hope to see is a feedback parameter on the tape delay effect... any chance of that?

• Members

Orangefunk:

Thanks for the link and the music! Good stuff. I have to agree with your assessment of the SV-1. I think its a great choice for B&B sounds in a LW package. Priced right too. I guess there will always be compromises and a wish list on any KB. I'd love to hear your band with the SV-1 if you ever get around to another video.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members
For me the rhodes and wurly on the SV-1 are on par or even btter than the Electro 2 I used. The Electro does have a more mellow Herbie sound though and the SV-1 rhodes is a bit more fonky and raw like say Marlena Shaw "Woman of the Ghetto" at Montreux or "Move to Groove" by Roy Ayers...

But overall, for me you can't go wrong with either... I chose the SV-1 over the Electro because the keyboard was weighted and the price was similar... I was thinking about the Stage 76EX but decided the SV-1 was good enough for the band I am in and the Korg keybed is superior to the Stage IMHO... I do wish there was a flash rom so I coul update the sounds though... but hopefully there are surprises in that 512MB ROM.
:D

I agree about the hiss... I find the overdrive a bit too extreme at low settings... I also find the wah wah a bit odd (distorts a lot) but probably haven't calibrated it properly..

Another thing I hope to see is a feedback parameter on the tape delay effect... any chance of that?

Thanks, I guess it's always difficult to choose, but in the Nord range there's more choise in the types of EP's (more bell or dark like) with several settings of the tines etc. The SV-1 is still on the top of my list, but I have to be careful. 2 years ago I made a mistake when I bought the Yamaha cp-300 and 10 years ago I made a mistake when I sold my Rhodes mk1 73. There's no use in selling the cp300, because it's worth nothing. That's always the thing with digital stuff; it's value ($$) drops more than your wallet can keep up with. Just like Miket156 I'm very curious about a performance with your new sv-1.

• Members

Thanks, I guess it's always difficult to choose, but in the Nord range there's more choise in the types of EP's (more bell or dark like) with several settings of the tines etc. The SV-1 is still on the top of my list, but I have to be careful. 2 years ago I made a mistake when I bought the Yamaha cp-300 and 10 years ago I made a mistake when I sold my Rhodes mk1 73. There's no use in selling the cp300, because it's worth nothing. That's always the thing with digital stuff; it's value ($$) drops more than your wallet can keep up with. Just like Miket156 I'm very curious about a performance with your new sv-1.

Hi,

I don't think you made a mistake with the CP-300, things always get better thats just the way of things. For me I like the SV-1 becuase its the only decent weighted 73 key keyboard around and the sounds are good enough for what I need with some caveats. Upgradeability beyond that can always be acheived via the usage of modules and the Macbook anyhow... so I could use Scarbee if need be...

I am doing a performance today using the SV-1 but its a bad venue (large canteen area in the university copmplete with glass surfaces and shiny materials.. yuk..) so I'm not recording it for posterity... I'll let you know how it pans out ;-)

Cheers

Archived