Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano official video is online!

RichF

• Members
rhodjuzz, glad you chose the SV-1. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do... It has made me and my bandmates very happy.

The Pro is correct here, new programs will be using the existing sample data, and it's not possible to load new samples.

The Pro, Remember that there are samples in that massive 512mb ROM that you haven't heard yet.
:)

Hi Rich, thanks for your fast reply :). Can you reveal anything about some Rhodes secrets that are hidden in the 512mb ROM. It's mainly the Rhodes sound(s) I would buy the sv1 for.
Regards Rhodjuzz

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hi Rich, thanks for your fast reply
:)
. Can you reveal anything about some Rhodes secrets that are hidden in the 512mb ROM. It's mainly the Rhodes sound(s) I would buy the sv1 for.

Regards Rhodjuzz

Unfortunately I can't reveal anything that we haven't publicly announced. It's that whole pesky "need to keep my job" thing. :cop:

• Members
Unfortunately I can't reveal anything that we haven't publicly announced. It's that whole pesky "need to keep my job" thing.
:cop:

It was not my intention to embarrass you :blah: as I actually already knew you could not answer this question. It would be wise though if Korg would open up the treasure house and reveal some more information about this delicate matter so that potential buyers who are in two minds can make their decision much easier (in favor of the sv-1 of course ;) )

When the new Nord Piano becomes available I will let my ears and hands decide what to do. The sv-1 has already won on the looks, let's see the rest and make an upright decision :facepalm:. Regards Rhodjuzz

• Members

hehe, just read through this giant thread... funny reading all the raves and then the same people doing U turns... I know how these people feel, I get bored by everything from real pianos to my vintage analogues, Rhodes to Moogs to B3s.. I need variety all the time, I'm not alone in this... most of my musical brothers here are the same... (I'm actually hankering for playing flugelhorn on the Motif Classic as I'm typing this... how messed up is that)

Anyway, my take... I played the board in Paris and thought it was pretty nice except the hammer noises, felts etc... were just way too loud on the rhodes (at the time I did not realise this was adjustable)... I then played the Nord Stage EX and thought it was a far better board...

Fast forward 4 months and I play the SV-1 here in Oslo and its sounding much better to me... nice pianos, and I'm even liking the other sounds, and when I listen to others play it from a distance its sounding great too...

then I'm playing the new Nord Piano and not digging it at all (action and connection to piano didn't feel good to me).... funny how things turn out eh?

Well... I'm after a portable piano board for gigging with quick setup time as I find my RD700GX too heavy to cart around (no car here) and I dislike the rhodes sounds on both the RD itself (esp the SN stuff) and the SRX-12... so I placed an order for the SV-1 with the stand and bag... like I need another keyboard to add to the other 13 I have (moogs, DSI, Oberheim, CX3, etc. etc.)... ;-)

Btw.. my rhodes MkII and Vox Tonelab are my real axes of choice, so its cool to see the Vox circuitry making another appearance... I absolutely love that unit... the tape echo is great...

I am really grateful to Jerry and Rich on this forum for providing some tantalising information about hidden sounds.... looking forward to hearing them.

Btw. I think both the SV-1 and Electro are great products... I would be happy playing either one of them just that one of my current band members has the Electro 2 so thought I would get the SV-1 for a little bit more variety..

• Members

orangefunk: I totally agree with your post - I went through a similar trial period (about three weeks) where I kept going back to the music store and trying the SV-1 again and again. And like you my first impression wasn't all that impressive, plus I owned 9 keyboards at the time - did I really need a 10th? The SV-1 grew on me in terms of action, sound and usefulness.

I wasn't even completely convinced the day I bought my SV-1 73, thinking I had succumbed to GAS again. I hadn't discussed it with my wife, which was unusual, so she was completely surprised. But I used it on stage my first night with it and that changed everything. It really cuts through the mix.

Now I've tweaked the sounds and have used it with several bands and solo... both my wife and I agree the SV-1 is one of the best little weapons in my arsenal. It sets up in a flash and takes up little room while looking very cool. Anyone seeing it for the first time is always impressed.

And just for the record - I do not like Nords. The piano sounds just don't cut it for me. It must be the shape of my ears or something cause I know some people who love theirs. But I had a friend compare his Electro 3 with my SV-1 and we both agreed that while the Nords have some great features, the SV-1 sounds and plays better.

I've written a full review of the SV-1 and posted it here if you'd like to read more of my ramblings.

• Members
by Orangefunk:

I know how these people feel, I get bored by everything from real pianos to my vintage analogues, Rhodes to Moogs to B3s..

No matter how much we get bored with B&B sounds, they are B&B sounds because anyone that plays in a band that plays anything resembling rock since the 1950's needs those sounds. Most jazz players could get by quite nicely with a SV-1 too. The places that hire jazz groups in my area do it one night a week. They need to be portable just as much as players of other types of music.

Can't beat the SV-1 for easy transport, quick setup, and price for features. I have to wonder just how many players do knob twisting on a gig these days?? Usually, we have song lists we play from, and in a live environment, we need to play one song after the other. Push a button and PLAY. :thu:

That's what the SV-1 is all about. We can save our desire for variety at home in our studio, or with a little luck, when it comes to interaction with the other gender. ;)

Mike T.

• Members

orangefunk, thanks for adding some useful information here. I also tested the Nord stage a while ago and had my own electro a decade ago, so I had my concerns. The new Nord Piano 88 is not in The Netherlands yet, so I'm surprised you have already played this new board. I spoke a few people here in the Netherlands who played it on the Frankfurter Messe this year and they weren't quit enthousiastic, but still I have to give it a go. My heart is actually already with the sv-1. Maybe the audible noise when using amp sims etc maybe a show stopper (allthough I never noticed it before when playing it in some local music stores with headphones and active studio monitors, but now I know of it, I will surely hear it next time). I am grateful as well to be albe to ask Jerry and Rich questions about the sv-1. I tried to contact Korg directly, but they directed me to Korg UK and Korg UK directed me to the dutch importer (voerman) and all they sent me was a pdf file with new sounds in the 1.1 OS version. That wasn't much of a help.

ThePro, I read your full review and your previous answer and that gave me a help as well. When it's not tweaked, the Rhodes in the sv-1 sounds a bit similar like the one I had (mk1 73 '76). There is some great stuff with amp sims, stompboxes etc. Without any effects and specially without amp sim, the Rhodes sounds a bit dull. So, I will then have to live with some extra bonus noise...

In the beginning of my search there was another competitor: Yamaha's cp1. I tried this one with headphones and through pa, but came to the same conclusion as jd73 (somewhere else on this forum) did: the ep's are very authentic but there a lot of missing in the sound. It seems like only the midrange eq band could be heard, it's missing a rich full sound. I don't know exactly how to say this in english, but it sounds very "thin" (forgive my poor translations...). This jd73 guy had some useful info about the sv-1 in this thread as well (and a nice discussion with Jerry).

Anyway, still hoping Korg is going to give away more about the secrets in the 512mb rom. I guess we just have to wait...

• Members

Can't beat the SV-1 for easy transport, quick setup, and price for features. I have to wonder just how many players do knob twisting on a gig these days?? Usually, we have song lists we play from, and in a live environment, we need to play one song after the other. Push a button and PLAY.
:thu:

Mike T.

You tempted Mike?

• Members
orangefunk, thanks for adding some useful information here. I also tested the Nord stage a while ago and had my own electro a decade ago, so I had my concerns. The new Nord Piano 88 is not in The Netherlands yet, so I'm surprised you have already played this new board. i.

Probably because I'm in Oslo right next door to the Swedes ;-)

I did not like the action or the piano sounds.... I didn't get a good feeling from the eps either... maybe its just a new keyboard needing to be broken in?

Anyway, on a business trip in Frankfurt today so I retried the SV-1 73 and 88 (one on top of the other). Strangely, I found both these boards felt quite different from one another. not sure why.. .Could be one is new to the shop floor while the other has been there since 2009. Anyway, I really enjoyed playing the thing... the amp simulator and valve stuff is killing...

Rhodes is a bit jumpy though at times... is it really seven different sample layers in there? anyway... it still rocked...

CP70 sound was great too...

Does the tape delay effect have a feedback level? That was my favourite effect on the Vox Tonelab...

I A/B'd against the nearby Electro and it also sounded great but the rhodes was noticeably mellower (like my MkII)... still great though... just that they emphasise how there is no real one size fits all rhodes sound... my buddy Freddan did a cool job with the rhodes samples for Nord... I feel a traitor to him for going over to Korg :D

• Members

Oh and before I forget, I do have some empathy with JD73s comments about lack of user configurable split points (rhodes chords in left and solina high string would have been cool to have) and layers (I always loved the rhodes + solina unison sound.. instant Kitty Winter!)... not sure why they left that off...

• Members

by orangefunk:

Originally Posted by Miket156

Can't beat the SV-1 for easy transport, quick setup, and price for features. I have to wonder just how many players do knob twisting on a gig these days?? Usually, we have song lists we play from, and in a live environment, we need to play one song after the other. Push a button and PLAY.

Mike T.

You tempted Mike?

Yeah, if I played in a band I would have one already. I think its perfect for most gigging musicians. With the kind of act I do, (OMB) I have to use a workstation class board (my Motif ES8) because it can do my entire show stand alone. With my ION on the second tier of my KB stand, it just about fits with everything else I have around me when I play. Even 61 note KBS would be too big, much less a 73 note KB. I had tried to put a third KB along side me, but that was too crowded and I never made use of it enough to justify buying a new board to sit there and look pretty.

So, I'm not in the market right now, but if I get my hands on some extra $$$ I might want to get one just to play at home and entertain myself. I guess I'm easily amused at my age. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members
Strangely, I found both these boards felt quite different from one another. not sure why.. .Could be one is new to the shop floor while the other has been there since 2009.

Strangely enough I had the same thing :confused:. To me it seemed the 73 version had a slightly lighter action than the 88 note version. Did you have the same experience or was it the other way round?

What do you think of the hiss/audible noise that comes along with the amp sim and the tube/valve? Is it bothering you when playing it through headphones?

• Members

What do you think of the hiss/audible noise that comes along with the amp sim and the tube/valve? Is it bothering you when playing it through headphones?

Not an issue at all really... theres always ways of adjusting these things if its too bothersome (less drive, some EQing) but the problem with other simulations is that they are too clean... the dirt actually adds to the authentic user experience for me... my rhodes and tonelab are the same... I usually use the noise gate on my tonelab if it gets too much... though it can be a little abrupt at times..

I think the SV-73 is the perfect gig machine for those with rhodes who do not want to carry a real rhodes + fx pedals + another board for piano and organ sounds...

For sure my RD700GX (with the SN piano expansion) has much better piano sounds over headphones... but live its negligible...

• Members
You tempted Mike?

Yeah, if I played in a band I would have one already. I think its perfect for most gigging musicians. With the kind of act I do, (OMB) I have to use a workstation class board (my Motif ES8) because it can do my entire show stand alone. With my ION on the second tier of my KB stand, it just about fits with everything else I have around me when I play. Even 61 note KBS would be too big, much less a 73 note KB. I had tried to put a third KB along side me, but that was too crowded and I never made use of it enough to justify buying a new board to sit there and look pretty.

So, I'm not in the market right now, but if I get my hands on some extra $$$ I might want to get one just to play at home and entertain myself. I guess I'm easily amused at my age.
:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yeah good points... space is always a problem.. whether in the car or on the stage... the good thing about the rhodes I found was being able to put a load of stuff on the lid and not having to take out an extra stand...the weight never really bothered me (if I had help!).... I daresay I will gig witht the real deal (and maybe even my Model D) now and again...

• Members

Orangefunk:

Just to follow up, I have already played gigs without my Alesis ION; I just used my Motif ES8 for keys. The ION is nice to have for embellishment sounds and another KB that is not tied to my Motif for solos, synth strings, sound effects, etc. A few of the private parties I played I knew I would not be playing the songs where I use those sounds, so I didn't even take it along.

My Motif ES8 has a 16 track sequencer, a real sampler, and enough space for RAM so I can load up .wav files (for sound effects and odds and ends) and Motif voice freebees from Yamaha posted on Motifator.com. There are an adequate number of drum kits which can be edited and can be combined anyway I want for a song, as well as the ARPS, which saves a lot of headaches when generating guitar strumming that would be just about impossible to duplicate on a KB. For a OMB, a workstation class board is mandatory.

I also use a Digitech Vocalist Live Pro for my Harmonies and I set it up on the left of my Motif and stand in a small rack case mounded on a KB "X" stand so I can operate it on the fly. I also have song books and notebooks with song lyrics on a music stand as close as I can put it so I can see it while I play. I have about 160 to 180 songs sequenced, and I don't remember all the lyrics, and some other things I need to know in order to play the song smoothly, with no snafu's. Some of the songs I only do by request so I'm not always on top of them. My stage setup gets a little cluttered.

I really like the sounds, features, and price of the SV-1. Occasionally a KB comes along that is easy to justify for what it does at the price it is selling for. I think the SV-1 falls into that category. Right now I have other priorities that can't wait (I have to put a roof on my house, need new windows) so GAS has to be on the back burner.

I will like to hear your thoughts on the SV-1 when you get it. You have a vast amount of knowledge on vintage KBs and you've always kept up on what is available. You always add an insightful review on instruments. Let everyone know your observations about the SV-1, I'm sure it will be good stuff.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members
You tempted Mike?

Yeah, if I played in a band I would have one already. I think its perfect for most gigging musicians. With the kind of act I do, (OMB) I have to use a workstation class board (my Motif ES8) because it can do my entire show stand alone.

Mike T.

My SV-1 73 is only about 4" longer than my Motif XS6, and it is 10" shorter than the keyboard I was using out, an 88-note Kawai ES4. I will be using the SV-1 73 for a wedding tomorrow where I perform as a OMB, using the Freehand Music Pad Pro for both my sheet music and MP3 backing tracks player. Smallest OMB rig I've ever had. I used to carry around workstations for solo gigs but I finally gave in a recorded all my MIDI files to MP3 for convenience.

One other point: I just replaced the speakers in my Motion Sound KP-100s, which is a small 35lb-ish 100-watt stereo keyboard amp. It came with lowly Eminence Alpha 8's and I finally blew them so I substituted Eminence Beta 8's instead. Much better tone and greater power handling... the older speakers used to break up in the lower mid's and bass but the Betas don't. Now my little amp has new life as the companion to my SV-1, and again my shrinking rig is at it's smallest, lightest but perhaps best-sounding ever.

The crowning touch will be when Korg finally gets the SV-1 stand and carry bag in stock (the stand fits in a compartment in the bag). Walking into a gig with just two hands of gear/one load from the car will be so nice. :cool:

• Members

Jim, I know there are players out there that are using MP3's for backing tracks. I'm not a big fan of the sound quality of MP3's. They shave off far too much of the sound for my liking. I carry a small PA to cover my show. That means a set of decent quality full range speakers, a rack case with power amp, stereo EQ, rack FX, a rack power conditioner, and an 8 channel Studio Master mixer that has 4 XLR outs, as well as 2 FX buses, separate monitor out and control, line out, headphone circuit amp, etc etc. All my connections are XLR, so I get a good ground, no hum, ever. Everything is in stereo, Rhodes sound pans left to right, I can use any of the sounds on my Motif ES8 with no concern for phase cancellation issues, or the limited stereo sound of a KB amp.

I need a PA that is robust enough to carry full sequenced songs, as well as vocals with up to 4 harmony voices, with NO FEEDBACK. The typical KB amp or small self powered speakers on the market (like JBL Eons and the like) can't handle it clearly at a fair amount of volume to play in mid to larger rooms, WITH NO FEED BACK. I've tried a number of different combinations, but they have always fell short. I've played a number of outdoor gigs and it had to cover a large area. My sound system works well.

What you do is different than what I do. (I don't believe you sing lead vocals and use a harmonizer) What is right for you would not be right for me. Not to mention, I have a setup that works fine, sounds fine, and is PAID FOR. I stopped chasing the ultimate setup years ago. At my age, I like putting the gig money in my pocket or using it to pay for other expenses that I have no choice to pay.

Later,

Mike T.

• Members

The crowning touch will be when Korg finally gets the SV-1 stand and carry bag in stock (the stand fits in a compartment in the bag). Walking into a gig with just two hands of gear/one load from the car will be so nice.
:cool:

:thu: Already on order!

• Members
Orangefunk:

I will like to hear your thoughts on the SV-1 when you get it. You have a vast amount of knowledge on vintage KBs and you've always kept up on what is available. You always add an insightful review on instruments. Let everyone know your observations about the SV-1, I'm sure it will be good stuff.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Thanks Mike! You are a nice guy to say that! Hey seems HC has become a nice place in the last 6-12 months I was away? ;)

• Members

Jim, I know there are players out there that are using MP3's for backing tracks. I'm not a big fan of the sound quality of MP3's. They shave off far too much of the sound for my liking. I carry a small PA to cover my show.

Mike T.

Maybe try a higher encoding rate like 320kb/s?

• Members

Mike T:

I used to know a guy that did a solo act and ran his bass sounds from his rack of modules through a bass amp, drums through their own sound system, guitar sounds through guitar amps, three keyboards, monitors, PA and lights. He called it "The Mighty MIDI Band" and he literally carried a full band's worth of gear to every gig. He told me it was to keep the sound "authentic". Today he uses an iPod and plays acoustic guitar. He nearly died from rupturing his appendix during a load-in. I also knew two keyboard players who actually died while loading in their gear - one loading in at a club and the other while unloading to his basement.

Not to criticize what you do and the gear you carry - that's your perogative... but for the savings on my body I can live with high-resolution MP3's for backing. MP3's also allows me to use my softsynths without computers on stage and get a much wider variety of tones that what my synths could make.

• Members

OMB?

not, I assume, one of these:

Office of Management and Budget, a group that oversees the activities of federal agencies in the United States

Owner Managed Business, small and medium enterprises

Olympiade Math

Archived