Carvin 4x12 cabs

myka316

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

I dont know about the Legacy cabs, but I dont like the MTS cabs with the Carvin Speakers. Dont kow if its the cab or the speakers, but I hated the way that cab sounded.

The whole point here is two almost identical cabs with the same V30 speakers, and if there are any differences in those two cabs sound.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

OOPS!!! Sorry for posting. My bad.

tucks tail between legs:(

LOL! That's not what I meant and you know it!! But we are comparing cabs with identical speakers and similar enclosures, that's all I meant..............:thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Locky

They are different. They are modified to handle high power and put out a little more low end. Just ask the Mesa techs.

Your right. Call Mesa/Boogie up. Mesa has there Vintage 30's built in England, this is right from Celestion. Plus they Mod them as well just like you said. They also mod there MC90 speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by jason@amps

Your right. Call Mesa/Boogie up. Mesa has there Vintage 30's built in England, this is right from Celestion. Plus they Mod them as well just like you said. They also mod there MC90 speaker.

I told ya that the English V30 sounded different than the Chinese ones, but I am going to call Cellestian to confirm the other mod you are talking about. I don't see them making a mod like that for one company, but I will wait and hear it from the horses mouth first. I hate to be wrong because I didn't do the research!

• Members

Originally posted by SKYNETRP

I told ya that the English V30 sounded different than the Chinese ones, but I am going to call Cellestian to confirm the other mod you are talking about. I don't see them making a mod like that for one company, but I will wait and hear it from the horses mouth first. I hate to be wrong because I didn't do the research!

Well I don't know either way but Mesa would be one of thier bigger clients so I can't imagine they wouldn't do it for them. Of course I don't see why they wouldn't just call them something else if they were going to mod them since it wouldn't be the same speaker anymore.

• Members

LOL! That's not what I meant and you know it!! But we are comparing cabs with identical speakers and similar enclosures, that's all I meant..............
:thu:
:thu:

I know. I just read the title of the thread, and should've read the first post. :D

• Members

Actually I don't believe there are sound differences between the Chinese and UK made Celestion speakers. I don't know where you heard this from?

Here's some threads from the horses mouth (look for Celestion101). I just searched for a couple.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1161759

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157769

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1092545

• Members

Actually I don't believe there are sound differences between the Chinese and UK made Celestion speakers. I don't know where you heard this from?

Here's some threads from the horses mouth (look for Celestion101). I just searched for a couple.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1161759

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157769

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1092545

I got this info in two ways. First off, I heard the info from a Mom And Pop music store that caters to high end amps and guitars. They carry Marshall, Matchless, Vox, Mesa, Splawn, Voodo, and a lot more amps. They also carry PRS (they had over 100 PRS), McEnturf, Gibson, ESP, DeAngelico, and a lot of great guitars too.

Quite an assortment for a Mom And Pop establishment music store. The owner told me this when I told him about the great prices on the Carvin cabs. So I challenged him about it and he laughed and said....."There are two cabs over there that have English and Chinese V30's in them.........go see for yourself"

So I did. The English ones were warmer and richer sounding to me, and reminded me of the Marshall cabs from long ago. But the Chinese V30's were very strong and sturdy sounding, with a little less bass response and the mids were less defined to me, and the highs were a little crisp to me too. All in all, I liked BOTH speakers, and I would have to decide which were for me in the long run.

• Members

So I did. The English ones were warmer and richer sounding to me, and reminded me of the Marshall cabs from long ago. But the Chinese V30's were very strong and sturdy sounding, with a little less bass response and the mids were less defined to me, and the highs were a little crisp to me too. All in all, I liked BOTH speakers, and I would have to decide which were for me in the long run.

These were both new cabs or was one used? Sounds to me like one cab had been played and the speakers had been broken in. Also which brand or cabs are we talking about here and were they both (oversized) straight or slant? All this makes a good bit of diference in tone of the speaker.

I believe the only cab that comes with UK made Vintage 30's is the Mesa/Boogie.

• Members

These were both new cabs or was one used? Sounds to me like one cab had been played and the speakers had been broken in. Also which brand or cabs are we talking about here and were they both (oversized) straight or slant? All this makes a good bit of diference in tone of the speaker.

I believe the only cab that comes with UK made Vintage 30's is the Mesa/Boogie.

They only carry new equipment. Both cabs were slant cabs, regular size, and both were thick frame cabs. One was a Marshall with V30's, the other was a Splawn with V30's, or maybe it was a Voodo, I don't remember right now, but I can call him and find out about the Spalwn or the Voodo. This was over a month ago. I am pretty sure it was a Splawn though.

• Members

The 2 inches will make a little difference, but not the front loaded part. Plus you have to remember that front loaded speakers give you a little more internal room inside the cab adding a tiny bit of tonal difference as well. It's only about 1/2 inch per speaker, but it's still there, and since I have 32 speakers, it will made a decent difference for me..

Yes, the front loaded to rear loaded speakers do make a difference. Taller oversized cabs sound different as well.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I hate getting in these conversations because people never look at the whole thing, what was played thru it , how was it used i mean the list goes on , I personally have the original Legacy and i have made people ask me why did I give up Mesa for the Legacy and there are alot of reason but i promise BRIGHT is not in the list on some stages i keep a rug or even a platform because the bass alone will bounce that cab all over during a night .. The question is did someone change speakers , or is maybe something blown because I have NEVER had an issue with my Legacy but again I only use the first Legacy not the 2 or 3 because they did have a few issues and if you watch Steve Vai changed Heads but he always had his Original Cabs unless it was all he could get somewhere..

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 4/13/2006 at 3:24 PM, Sordid1 said:

Originally posted by Locky

There's a Carvin Legacy cab at my rehearsal space. It is quite a bright cab. I find it alot like a Marshall 1960A cab but with a slightly larger low end. I don't know what they sell for but I wasn't too impressed with the cabs overall. They don't hold a candle to Mesa cabs.

I have to disagree on this one. First of all the Marshalls come with the gt1275's and the Legacy cabs have the V30's which are identical to the Mesa cabs speakers. If you put a traditional Mesa cab next to a Carvin Legacy cab the differences should be slim to none.

Marshall 4x12's come with different speakers depending on the model of the cab, I had one with 90 watt sidewiders one with greenbacks and Marshall's are the sound of rock imo.

• 2 years later...