myka316

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by charliedango

Decent quality. Bright speakers.

That's kind of an odd statement and half true. The build quality is better than marshall and pretty close to Mesa or the other good cab companies. For speakers they all come with different ones i.e. the Legacy cabs come with Celestion V30's and the V3 cabs come with Celestion Gt7512's. For the money there is no better value on the market (well maybe avatar).

• Members

There's a Carvin Legacy cab at my rehearsal space. It is quite a bright cab. I find it alot like a Marshall 1960A cab but with a slightly larger low end. I don't know what they sell for but I wasn't too impressed with the cabs overall. They don't hold a candle to Mesa cabs.

• Members

Originally posted by Locky

There's a Carvin Legacy cab at my rehearsal space. It is quite a bright cab. I find it alot like a Marshall 1960A cab but with a slightly larger low end. I don't know what they sell for but I wasn't too impressed with the cabs overall. They don't hold a candle to Mesa cabs.

I have to disagree on this one. First of all the Marshalls come with the gt1275's and the Legacy cabs have the V30's which are identical to the Mesa cabs speakers. If you put a traditional Mesa cab next to a Carvin Legacy cab the differences should be slim to none.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

I have to disagree on this one. First of all the Marshalls come with the gt1275's and the Legacy cabs have the V30's which are identical to the Mesa cabs speakers. If you put a traditional Mesa cab next to a Carvin Legacy cab the differences should be slim to none.

Depends how old the cab is. The original ones came with Greenbacks.

• Members

Originally posted by myka316

I've never actually dealt with Carvin but I have heard a lot of good things about their amps but what about their cabs? Are they quality stuff? Any ones to check out and are there any that should be avoided?

The Carvin Legacy 4x12 cabs have Cellestian Vintage 30's in them and sound fine, and the best part is that they only cost $499, compared to a Marshall with Vintage 30's costing like $900......great dealon the Carvins. They are front loaded, but that's OK, no tonal difference there.

• Members

That's kind of an odd statement and half true. The build quality is better than marshall and pretty close to Mesa or the other good cab companies. For speakers they all come with different ones i.e. the Legacy cabs come with Celestion V30's and the V3 cabs come with Celestion Gt7512's. For the money there is no better value on the market (well maybe avatar).

The Avitars are not made the same, they are a thin style frame like a Fender, while the Carvin Legacy is a thick frame like a Marshall........the Carvins are far better sounding to me, and heavier duty cabs for road wear and better bottom end.

• Members

They are not intended to be like a Mesa, they are intended to be like a Marshall, which they are, only better made and more bottom end, and the cost is $499.............that's right, almost half cost of a Marshall with V30's. I would say the Carvin is a great deal. And I like them better than Mesa cabs myself, but that's a matter of taste and tone.

• Members

Don't the Mesa's have an semi-open back with two different kinds of speakers?? I thoughtthe better Mesa's had that.

• Members

Originally posted by LennonLives

Heard one last weekend with a DSL and it sounded overly bright and irritable. I do not suggest one with a Marshall, but I heard one with a Carvin MTS an dit sounded decent, but those MTS' are underrated!

C'mon guys, these cabs are almost identical to the Marshalls, except the Carvin's are made of pure Birch instead of "pot puree" plywood. Maybe the birch is brighter sounding, most likely not, but you can easily just use some external EQ to fix that, but I really don't think I heard ANY difference between Marshall And Carvin cabs with V30's in them. You may have been hearing a badly set Marshall head, ya know?

• Members

Originally posted by Dropped_2_C

i have one the speakers are front loaded and they contain g12's i personally don't care for it but if you are on a budget they are not that bad i bought a mts head off of a guy and he gave me the cab, so in that respect it's not bad, you can't be free

True, but the V30 Legacy's are a totally different animal, you should hear one, you'll like it.

• Members

Originally posted by SKYNETRP

C'mon guys, these cabs are almost identical to the Marshalls, except the Carvin's are made of pure Birch instead of "pot puree" plywood. Maybe the birch is brighter sounding, most likely not, but you can easily just use some external EQ to fix that, but I really don't think I heard ANY difference between Marshall And Carvin cabs with V30's in them. You may have been hearing a badly set Marshall head, ya know?

Likely, but who knows? After about 5 or six bands at max volume you kinda want to chew through their power chord just to end the night.....

• Members

Originally posted by sgmarshall

The marhall cab is 2 " taller than a carvin cab, Marshall also rear mounts it's speakers, Carvin front mounts. Does make for a difference in tone. But for the price, my next cab will probably be carvin.

The 2 inches will make a little difference, but not the front loaded part. Plus you have to remember that front loaded speakers give you a little more internal room inside the cab adding a tiny bit of tonal difference as well. It's only about 1/2 inch per speaker, but it's still there, and since I have 32 speakers, it will made a decent difference for me..

• Members

Having AB'ed both of them I can tell you first hand that they are worlds apart. Despite both having V30's they sounds quite different. I found the Mesa alot thicker with a larger and deeper bottom end. The Legacy was much thinner and brighter. Also it should be noted that the V30's in Mesa cabs are different then regular Celestion V30's.

• Members

Having AB'ed both of them I can tell you first hand that they are worlds apart. Despite both having V30's they sounds quite different. I found the Mesa alot thicker with a larger and deeper bottom end. The Legacy was much thinner and brighter. Also it should be noted that the V30's in Mesa cabs are different then regular Celestion V30's.

Well i've played both too and didn't think there was a big difference but that is interesting about the Mesa V30's being different. You would think they would call them something else then.